Click Here!

Review responses for Blood. On the Rocks.

KA_Merikan

The story is here: http://original.adult-fanfiction.org/story.php?no=600106336

BLURB for the story:

Tekkeitsertok has the name of a god, but his life is far from celestial. Living in a small town in northern Alaska, he works two jobs to support his family of seven – him and his six dogs. As a gay man, he doesn’t have many opportunities for dating in a place like New Petersburg, but his whole life is about to spiral out of control when a vampire enters the bar he works in.

It is the first vampire to visit the town since the creatures’ existence had been announced by the government, and he causes problems from the moment he sets foot in the bar. The mysterious Sergey is set on making Tekke believe they are bound by destiny, but Tekke is having none of that, since he is all about the logical and rational in life. Then again, in a time when caribou have sharp teeth and ravens grow antlers, maybe it’s time to stop clinging to logic and embrace the strange and irrational?

If trying to date a vampire wasn’t enough of a problem, New Petersburg is being torn apart by forces no one can recognize. As reluctant as Tekke is, he might just hold the key to saving thousands of lives, including one that he holds increasingly dear.

But can you save the life of someone who is already dead?

Genre: homoerotic contemporary fantasy

Length: serialized novel

Themes (possible SPOILERS): vampires, shape-shifters, adult virgin, enemies to lovers, rebirth, Siberia, Alaska, hunting, mutation, inspired by Inuit mythology, mythical creatures, monsters, shamanism, kept lovers, violence, mutilation, murder, blood magic, Gods walking the Earth, military, deception, dreams, friendship, extrasensory perception, emotional trauma, homophobia, despair, abandonment

Erotic content: explicit m/m sexual scenes (including: first time, ephebophilia, dubious consent, cheating)

Answers by Kat:

E.J. >>

Sergey's oblivious nature is pretty damn funny, lol.

he he, yep, he treats himself very seriously though ;D

DemonGoddess061 >>

Well, when I have time to sit and read more, I certainly will. The prologue was intriguing. I'll certainly leave you a better review than this as well, when I sit my behind down to actually do some reading! ^^

Aww, Glad you enjoyed it, hope you find some time for more in the future :)

Naraka00 >>

This is a wonderful story, I don't know why it doesn't have more reviews because it surely deserves it!
Tekke is a very interesting character, very insecure about his looks and his interaction with Sergey is adorable, even more because he's a bit rusty with dating.
Sergey is a very curious vampire, and I loved this chapter and the last, it shows good progress between Sergey and Tekke.
I can't wait for more since I'm a bit curious about the crows' behavior and whatever spooked Sergey in this chapter. I also can't wait to see what will happen now that Sergey bit Tekke (He just couldn't resist temptation... hehe)

"I don't know why it doesn't have more reviews"

!! Ha ha! Me neither ;D But really, thanks for your review, it's always fantastic to hear from readers and get to know what they think about the characters and plot :)

Edited by KA_Merikan

I honestly don't know what the hell it is, but it seems stories which have the potential to really grab ya, and look like good reads, don't get much reviews. In any case, what I did read I certainly enjoyed, and I do mean to go back and actually sit down and read once I free up some time. :D

Yeah, I just sort of assume it's going to get more attention as the story builds up. Or when all the angst, sexin' and cute twinks come into play ;D

And oh well, if it doesn't, it doesn't. I just want it out there :)

And with a story this long, I suppose it's nice to abstain for a while and then have a big chunk to sink into.

-Kat

Aninhas>>

oh Sergey bit him! I wonder if he'll like it... like one of those stories where it gets pleasurable to be bitten by a vamp... or maybe he'll freak out and hit Sergey with an elbow or something! XD
can't wait to see what happens :) I wonder what's wrong with the ravens? they're definitely not something good ("something wicked this way comes" lol)
I do hope that this won't set things back for their relationship, they are already going at a snails pace as it is... hum, maybe Sergey should bit him more to make him change his mind ;p *wink wink*
p.s. I love the cover art!

'Something wicked this way comes', definitely! And Tekke's reaction? Well, I can assure he will not take this bite lightly :>

And I'm over the moon that you like the cover art, it's done by a friend of mine, Kkohaku and she's got some amazing talent :))) <3

- Kat

KatC>>

I have quite enjoyed this story so far...right up until the point you said 'jugular artery.' There is no such thing. You either mean the CAROTID artery or the jugular VEIN.

Oh no! I don't know how I've missed that. Thanks for noticing, I'll fix it right away :))

-Kat

Aninhas>>

The bitting scene was certainly scarier than I expected, for a moment there I though he was going to suck him dry O.o but then again, he is a vampire...
Tekke's right to be scared of Sergey and I wonder now what will Sergey do to win him back? ;D
he's still hung up about Matt? oh man, Emily's right, it's been seven years... that ship sailed a long time ago buddy...
and the nerve of those ladies?! hah!
This party spells trouble to me...

Who knows, maybe Matt will come back after all :> It's nice to see you again :) What I love about serial fiction is this constant suspense, even if it's not a cliffhanger, the reader is still left wondering 'what next?' :)

reader1962>> Nice to see you're still reading :D

- Kat

Edited by KA_Merikan

• 2 weeks later...

lividfire>>

well this is a surprise and mystery...what does he mean did you bring the blood. That's not Sergey...evil twin perhaps ahahaha?

Perhaps, perhaps :> This story has so many characters and twists coming, I have to gag myself and keep writing before I spill the beans.

Writer11377 2013-08-17 id # 3000210891 Oh Sergey is gonna be pissed! Watch out homophobic/ vampophobic Alaskan gang Sergey will be out for blood (pun intended) :) Thank you again for this wonderful story!

XoXo

Thank YOU for reading :) Oh Sergey will not be a happy camper :>

Wirevix 2013-08-18 id # 3000210918 I've been following this for a while now, finally decided to go ahead and leave a review! I'm often a fan of vampire stories that are a bit "different," and this has definitely met with my approval, haha. I think so far what has me the most hooked is the characterizations--you've created very believable, very imperfect (a challenge in this day and age of Twilight-level Mary Sues) characters that I look forward to hearing more about each update.

Tekke's frustrating refusals to open his eyes and see the obvious, his stubborn tendency to go 'round and 'round in circles, and his sort of spineless inability to just make a choice one way or another already is incredibly frustrating, but in a way that doesn't make you want to give up on him. You want to watch and wait for him to get his head back on his shoulders, straighten up his rather decrepit lifestyle, and move on ahead! Maybe yelling at him a bit along the way, since he is just so oblivious as to what's best for him, hah.

And Sergey is... definitely a treat. He's definitely not a human with fangs and cold blood, they way most modern "vampires" end up these days. He has a very strange mentality, a twisted nature that makes him creepy and almost deplorable, but keeps you wanting to see more of him. Somehow he redeems himself, despite being in the end a self-obsessed egomaniac who has no respect for anyone's boundaries or desires but his own! His inability to understand Tekke's point of view and his belief that he can and should be easily forgiven for anything he does, no matter how wicked (raping and attacking Tekke both puts him pretty firmly in the "evil" spectrum as humans go, but how does one judge a creature with such a different and inhuman mindset?), serves to make him terrifying--but somehow you can't end up hating him for it.

You've definitely risen to the challenge of writing characters that, in most peoples' hands, would turn a reader off after less than a chapter. So, congrats! Wirevix 2013-08-18 id # 3000210919 Oh, and since I saw in your Review Response thread you weren't sure why this wasn't getting many reviews:

It's because you posted it in the Vampires section. Back when AFFN was first made, the Originals section was a lot smaller, and there was just one M/M section in which everyone put every M/M story, no matter its genre. After they split the sections up more to have an M/M subsection in each area, the original M/M section became "Original - Misc - M/M," and over half the M/M stories on the site are still posted there rather than their "proper" genre because people were used to only having one.

If you reposted this story in Original - Misc, you'd probably get double the hits you're getting now.

Yay! I'm so glad you're enjoying it. Writing a 'vampire story' that is different than the others out there can be tricky, but we are definitely trying to challenge some tropes of the genre. And use other well known features, just to twist them around. I just can't wait to introduce the next main character vampire in this story. I love imperfect characters, who have a lot of different sides to them.

Ahh, it's great to see that you notice all those Tekke's features. He's not just the 'nice guy' he tries to present himself as he he.

We try to convey how Sergey is different from humans. With time, readers will learn what his undead experience was that he acts the way he does, but behind those blue eyes hides no 'Edward', but a creature with very clear intentions :>

Thank you so much for the advice about categories, we'll see if it will change the amount of views/reviews simply because of that.

So thank you once again for the long comment! :)

- Kat

• 3 weeks later...

Donna>>

At first i refused to acknowledge it....but OMIGOD Tekke is like a male version of me mentally&emotionally. Indecisive and just flat out jaded when it comes to dealing with unfamiliar people who show(feign) any interest. Now I can't not read this fic 'till its end :)
I wanted so bad to like Sergey (for Tekks sake lol) but....lets just say this chapter didn't help his case any. But he IS a pretty interesting character.
Thanks for posting this ~(>.

Yay! I'm so happy to hear that, Donna :D I hope you'll enjoy the long ride we're taking Tekke on. It's always nice to hear from readers, as without reviews/comments it feels a bit like screaming on a desert. You don't really know if it's reaching anyone.

Kat

Jjon>>

Thanks! :D

Gina>>

That is a VERY good question :>

--Kat

Very very poorly I am betting given what you have shown us about Tekke. Hopefully, you plan to have Tekke find this out BEFORE their relationship progresses much further.

Guest, yep, Tekke's having problems adjusting to having a relationship with someone, let alone sharing them in a free-love triangle ;)

jusme>>

Fasinating story, love the update chapter...can't wait for the next one!

Yay! :D Glad you're enjoying it. I can't wait to reveal more about John :)

afan>>

Come on people, if you love this story as much as I do, and I know you do, give a shout-out. You know this story deserves it!! This is a great story.

Aww, thank you! That's so sweet of you. ^^

-- Kat

• 2 weeks later...

AAlpaX>>

A well-written story with great characters and a great storyline. What's not to like?

Thanks! :D

Saminada

Holly! This story is amazing!!! Wow! I fell stupid for not reading it sooner!
I realle can't wait to continu reading this! ' cause I haven't read it all yet! But still, I wanted to let you know that your story is great!

Yay, I hope you'll enjoy it as you read along :) I'm so happy to see new readers!

-Kat

• 2 weeks later...

Anon>>

The more I read the less I like Sergey

I promise he gets better :)

Saminada>>

Will Sergey ever really fall in love with Takka? Insted off just seeing him has food!
I don't really like Sergey's infidelity lol I still like him tho but anyways I think that Tekke deserves to have his little Vamp all to himself! ;) since he's such a good guy!
Anyways thanks for the story!

I'm afraid these guys have a LOT to go until they come clean :D

GirlyGirl>>

I found this story on Sunday and wouldn't stop reading until I caught up. I love the slow build up to the mystery of the animals. The characters, main and secondary, are interesting and finding out their backstory's just expands the world you're creating. And I can't wait for Tekke to meet John. Will they like each other or become rivals? And who was Sergey's family? Was he royalty? What's up with the crow's? What happened to Tekke's parents? are they the crows? Thanks for giving me another story to obsess over!!! LOL.

Yay! Nothing makes me happier than hearing from readers <3 And I'm happy to see you're interested in the plot and new characters as well! There is so much to come, so much drama to unfold and questions to be answered :)

-Kat

• 2 weeks later...

SunaoTsuji>>

Woot! So happy for the updates! They've made my week! I can't wait for Tekke to meet John! I have a feeling that it's going to be interesting. I wonder if there will be any feelings of jealousy when it happens. Wohoo! Keep up the awesome writing!

Their meeting is surely impending! :D Thank you!

GirlyGirl>>

Good chapter. Tekke went through a growth spurt that gave him perfect vision ... over night??? and muscles?? And no one thought that was weird? OK...what is he?? I bet the ravens know. I think Sergey will start putting the pieces together pretty soon. What were the symbols the girls were drawing? Who taught it to them? Something tells me this all ties in to the parents of Tekke and Malina (who I really really don't like). I've got an idea that Malina saw something or heard something concerning their parents that scared her into lockdown mode on every thing not normal. She's afraid and I bet she's having nightmares because she's getting messages and is fighting it. Denial is a bitch sometimes.

Arg! So many questions I'm happy to hear yet cannot answer just yet! :D Thanks for your comment and opinion, it means a lot :))

-Kat

• 3 weeks later...

Anon>

Nicly written but beards are. A real. Turnoff, sorry couldnt bring myself to read it anymore tried to ignore it but got to chapter 5 and couldnt go on

*hugs* You win some, you lose some haha, Things do change in the future, though I don't want to spoil ;)

Paige_Turner >>

Nah, keep 'em coming, I love reading people's reactions to our stories.

John will definitely have a role in the future :>

And you are right about the beard, everything will be revealed in the future :)))

- Kat

• 5 months later...

I've read this all at once and I loved it so much I can't seem to stop reading! I've learn that this was actually published in a book and I'm so glad you shared such a great story to us. I enjoyed every single volume, from Tekke and Sergey's story in volume 1 to each of the characters' story as the story goes on. And it's actually rare for me since I tend to actually focus on the main pairing only and when the scene changes and focus to another character's story, I can't wait for the story's focus to get back to the main pairing. But in this story, I just love every single character's story and I would really want to read each of their life story! Seriously, I just want this story to go on foreverer! That's how much I love reading this and don't want this story to end. :) And there's still so much more to be revealed and I can't wait to find those out!

John is such an asshole! I can't believe I thought he cared for Mark and Lucas. Poor them! :'( And I'm also starting to hate Dylan! Whatever his reason for requesting such a thing to John, whether it's out of sympathy or selfishness, he still doesn't have the right and the boys are capable to decide for themselves. And even if it was out of sympathy, he still didn't considered their feelings and just decided for them! Argh! Mark is right, John would eventually have a tase of his own medicine. It isn't right for John to do those things to the boys even if his attitude was just triggered from his not so good experience with his lover before! He treated them like trash and they don't deserve it especially since they gave their everything to him! My heart is really breaking for them! :'( I hope they'll find their happiness eventually. And I wonder what role Winston would play on their lives now.

And about Tekke, did he really still love Matt after all of those years? Or was it really just closure he wanted but was just blinded with all the fantasies about Matt? But he still had the same reaction when he's with Matt! His body still reacts the same when he's with him! How would you explain that? And how could he do that to Sergey? *sighs* Well atleast they're together again now.

I really can't wait for the next chapter! Such a great story by the way! :)

-isolovesj

Hey! I'm so happy you're enjoying the story. We're 3/4 through now so it's only going to get more intense :D There will be major deaths :>

Kat

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.