Click Here!

Frustration Times 100

TheBlackadder

Guest Savaial
Oh man, we're so on the same boat here. But the thing is, since I began writing fanfiction, I haven't gotten as much concrits as I'd like (just two, and from the same reader), but then again, I doubt any of us gets as much reviews as he/she would like, am I right?

As of lately, my stories seem to get less and less attention (to the point of getting as much as 5 hits in a whole week). So, this lack of constructive feedback (or feedback altogether) has got me wondering... why? Is it because I suck at writing? The titles on my stories are not appealing? Or is it the details? I tried changing the details of my main story a few times, but with no result.

I agree with the people who say that people who don't write, don't review, and maybe I'm just naive for expecting solid concrits in the Naruto AFF fandom, but there are a lot of writers in there, right? (Even if most of them only write yaoi... TT_TT).

Anyway... I forgot what I wanted to say... but COME ON READERS! I know it's hard to get off your (our) lazy asses to review someone else's work, but authors post their work here for a reason, to share it with everyone. It's only fair to give a little something back, don't you think?

As of lately, my stories seem to get less and less attention (to the point of getting as much as 5 hits in a whole week). So, this lack of constructive feedback (or feedback altogether) has got me wondering... why? Is it because I suck at writing? The titles on my stories are not appealing? Or is it the details? I tried changing the details of my main story a few times, but with no result.

It isn't because you suck. It's because of the something-for-nothing mindset, quick gratification, and the fact that you don't have to be a member here to read.

I know. It takes less than five minutes to review what you've read. Still, an average reader goes through five or six stories from their favorite fandom at a time I think, and they are SO not into leaving any feedback. I think I'm the one that pointed out you-don't-write-you-don't-review.

Seriously. If you write, you tend to review another person's work. If you don't write I think you don't tend to know how much effort goes into that entertainment and you just skip over the gratification.

Writing to entertain for nothing but feedback is hard. You have to be really, really good to get any sort of review. And even then you have to contend with basic human laziness and omg NITPICKING.

I guess writing for yourself is the only way to combat this, but don't we all enjoy someone saying SOMETHING about our work?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have to be really, really good to get any sort of review.

I sort of disagree with this. I mean, I've read stories out there that I think are really, really good that have very few reviews. And then I've read stories that are kind of boring and not well written that have tons. It makes no sense.

I've also found that sometimes the longer the story is, or the slower the pace, the less people are likely to read/review it (which probably goes back to the whole instant gratification). I guess I don't understand this because, even though I'm guilty of wanting to read a little drabble every once in awhile, most of the time I really just want a good long fic that I can tuck into for a few hours (and leave a review afterward, of course).

• 1 year later...

:D I also find it very frustrating when you have a 1000 plus hits and a grand total of 2 reviews. I specifically ask for feed back, good or bad... When you write something and post it,you believe it's good, but for me I know it isn't perfect. Feedback in the form of reviews is needed to help the writer develop. What really irks me is when someone rates less than 5 and then gives absolutely no indication why. I write for the fun of it, but I post so that it can be read and commented on... ego boost, yes, but also to find out if I'm getting better at it.

So, to writers... I feel your pain :P and to readers, take the time. It will benefit you as much as the writers in the long run.

This is from my current blog post (http://danyealle.blogspot.com) and i think it sums it up very well....

Once of the single biggest complaints I hear when it comes to posting on free sites, both fan fiction and ‘regular’ ones, is the fact that very few people review stories or rank them. The truth of the matter is that less than one percent of people that read a story will rank or review it. It’s always been that way and probably always will no matter what an author says or does. It’s easy for authors to blame readers for this, and many do-loudly, but the realism is there are plenty of authors out there that help that problem perpetuate with what they do.

Like I already said, it’s easy to blame the readers, but the realism is that there are many authors out there that do plenty of bonehead things that affects not only how many reviews/ratings they get but other authors as well. So, before we go off on readers we need to look at ourselves and fix that first.

One of the first that drives ratings down is one I’ve discussed on this blog before: review whoring. It’s extortion, blackmail and demanding payment for what you do. Though those that do it may not feel they are hurting others by doing such a thing and since it is their story it’s their right to do so, the realism is, they hurt all authors with that stupidity. It’s hard enough to get people to review as it is, even if you ask nicely, but to have people demand such things makes it worse. Though it’s not fair or right, many readers rebel against such stupidity by not reviewing anything. Readers don’t like to be told they have to do something. Like most people in ‘real life’, when you say they have to do something they will break their neck to do the opposite. In this case, it’s others that write that suffer, not just the review whore.

The next thing that is a problem is snarky authors that take offense to any kind of criticism. As an author, I can assure you we ALL make mistakes from time to time, all of us. Be it spelling or something else, we screw something up once in a while. That’s to be expected, we’re human. Most times, we don’t even notice it until someone points it out to us. Reviews allow someone to point it out to us and, if it’s done in a non-flaming sort of way, we don’t take it wrong. But there are authors out there that can’t handle that. They seem to think that reviews are meant only to praise what they’ve done and stroke their ego. If they get something else then they will go off on whoever left the review. Not only is that childish, it’s detrimental to them getting reviews and hurts other authors. This has been done enough that some readers are out and out scared to leave anything but the most generic of reviews for fear of someone flaming them or getting snotty about it. That isn’t right. If you’re an author that sticks your work out there for anyone to look at, the truth is you’re going to get reviews that point out your mistakes, not just ones that feed your ego. Nor are these meant to be personal attacks. You should take them in the spirit they are written, to help you improve your work, not to pick on you. Sadly, though there are a bunch of immature beings that do this kind of thing on all sites. Not only do their damage their own chances but hurt others as well.

Nor does it help others that, in places this is allowed, they remove reviews that say these kinds of things. If someone left you something that is legitimate and well thought out, why are you going to remove it? It has it’s place there and isn’t hurting anything. It just proves your human is all. What’s the point of having people review you if you remove them? If you do such things, chances are many aren’t going to bother doing so in the future. Just because you felt that it showed you made a mistake doesn’t mean that you should remove it. Doing such things discourages readers because they feel that there is no point to reviewing only to have it removed.

Along with this, and the same people seem to do it, is the fact that people who actually try to help with the problem and propose a solution for you don’t need to get attitude from the author either. An example of this is one I’ve seen many times. More times than I care to count I’ve seen stories rife with spelling and punctuation errors with an authors notes saying excuse such things because they don’t have Microsoft Word to use to help fix things. Without going into the voracity of that statement, I’ve seen plenty of people that leave reviews pointing out solutions to such a thing. Most beings would welcome the help and say thanks. But others just get snotty about the whole thing then proceed to snarl at the reviewers. Again, that helps no one. If you are saying there is an issue then people try to help you, snarling at them just alienates readers, nothing more. Most will then stop reviewing you and, more than likely, stop reading your stuff as well. That does nothing but shoot yourself in the foot and defeat the purpose. If someone proposes a solution to an issue you have, don’t snarl at them for it. Though you may not take their advice and don’t have to, don’t get nasty.

Flame bating and attacking reviewers in authors notes is another problem that crops up quite a bit and does a great deal of damage. For those that don’t know what flame baiting is the most basic definition of it is this: that is intended to elicit the extremely strong responses characteristic of flaming and active public discussions. To be effective, flame bait should be a bit subtle (but not too subtle) so that potential flamers will "take the bait." This term is similar to troll, which is an effort to get a reaction from readers but not necessarily for the purpose of eliciting flames. In the context of stories, usually this is done in authors notes where they take after the reviewer that left them something they didn’t like. It tends to be done in such a way that it makes them look like the wronged party then other reviewers will take after the big, bad meany that would pick on the author, whether or not it’s overly proposed by the author. Honestly, reviews and what they say aren’t meant to start a pissing war over anything. If it’s a flame, you ignore it. If it’s not, take it in the spirit it’s intended then drop it. Eliciting readers to attack other reviewers or authors does nothing but hurt you and other authors. Usually, 99% of the time, it’s against site rules as well. No one wants to get attacked or flamed because of a review that was left, especially one where they weren’t doing it to start anything anyway. When people see authors doing such things, they are scared to leave reviews for anything for fear of being attacked. That hurts all authors’ chances of getting reviews.

One of the more snarky things that is done by authors that not only makes them look bad but hurts review counts is when authors leave reviews for other authors that are nothing more than an attempt to go off on them for something they said in a review. Sorry folks, that is not right! Reviews for stories are meant for the story itself, not for others to use it as a way to communicate. That is what P.M.s or e-mail is for. If that option isn’t there then you need to find another way to communicate with them, not use the review system. To take your ‘war’ with an author to their reviews of a story is ignorant to the extreme and nothing but childish behavior. No one wants to get into the middle of a pissing contest between authors. They will not only not review either, since most aren’t going to even be bothered to go figure out the reason for the whole thing to start with, they will ignore both stories. If you don’t like a review another author left or feel it’s flaming, out of line, whatever, contact the site administrators, don’t get into a pissing contest. That hurts everyone all around.

Then there is the old standard that little kids use: the reviews hurt my feelings so I’m removing the stories and won’t post anymore. Oh pul-EASE! This is something a two year old does and as adults, we don’t let them get away with it and teach them that it’s not the right thing to do. Nothing says more about you as an author than childish behavior such as that. It’s people like this that do more damage than they will ever know. With fan fiction, the reality is that most multi-chapter stories never get finished, though it’s a sad fact it’s the truth. So, when people pull this stupid shyte what they do is make reviewers worry that if they leave a review that is anything less than the highest praise known to mankind the author might get their nose out of joint and pull their stuff. Too many have done this childish idiocy that it hurts review counts for all authors. After all, no one wants to be responsible for someone’s hurt feelings and a good story vanishing. Unlike with children, this behavior generally works because authors that do that kind of thing leave their stuff up long enough for them to get tons of reviews begging them to stay, the real intent in my opinion. Plus this one tends to go into the area of flame baiting so you get a double whammy there, nothing good.

Last, but not least, bitching about the lack of reviews in an authors note in a story doesn’t help matters either. This I’ve seen a lot of unfortunately. Honestly, all it does is alienate reviewers and makes the author sound like a whiny little brat that in ungrateful for what they have. That doesn’t help at all. Reviews, or lack there of, doesn’t mean the story is bad or that there is something wrong with it, it just means that some people have nothing to say is all. A lot are of the opinion that they don’t like to leave the generic ‘I really like this, please write more’ kind of review and reserve a thought out one for something that strikes their fancy is all. So, when you take that into a account then it’s not a big deal.

Though there are more of these, more than I could ever list here, these seem to be the biggest and most egregious ones that are out there also are the ones that are perpetrated the most. Honestly, they are also uncalled for. But, unfortunately, there are many that seem to be willing to do such things. It’s also the ones who do this that tend to be the ones that bitch the most about lack of reviews. Go figure… But if people would put a stop to this and just ignore the twits who do such things then things would go easier and review counts would go up. We have to keep in mind that though most of us write for ourselves, alienating readers, and most authors are also readers folks, is just going to read to lower hit counts and lack of reviews. Insulting the readers and going after them is just like biting the hand that feeds you. Think about it…

A lot of readers aren't writers. They don't feel comfortable criticising a form when they aren't well-versed in its usage.

I admit, I can get a little short in my notes. When I put a load of time into writing a 12000-word chapter and I get not one review (aside from my beta, who reviews almost before I publish) from a few hundred readers on multiple sites it's a bit disheartening. In the future I'm going to try to take a different, more creative approach to it, writing facetious "alternate endings" that I allegedly would have used if not for the one or two people who gave me feedback. Said reviewers will obviously get their deserved shout-out/dedication.

I think that's the key. Rewarding those that leave feedback rather than being passive-aggressive and lashing out at those who don't. The second one is natural and the former requires more work, but in theory it's more likely to work.

Honestly though, this is something I don't understand. Do readers not realise that in general, authors are going to publish subsequent installments faster if they perceive heightened interest? Every time I get a review or email in the weeks between chapters that says "can't wait for update" I tend to put aside what I'm doing for the rest of the day and get down to writing. I'd write it either way, it's a therapeutic recreation for me, but I'm more likely to put it aside when I feel like it's not being anticipated.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest oskalaboska

Yeah, I know how you all feel.

I have a story posted on multiple archives and though it has like a little less than 15 reviews total, I've seen it on a rec site and on FF.net, its part of 7 community archives, been faved over 60 times and I even have a few author alerts on me.

Even when I was only reading the stories, i tired to say something. I admit that a few of my reviews were not the best. I told a person that it would be better if they took the story down, sit down, and totally rewrite the story with actual plot :angry: My thing is that if you have the time to actually stalk a person, the least you could do say "Hi, I'm stalking your stories'

I've reached a point now where generally, so long as I click on the fic (in that it's within a fandom I'm familiar with and seems interesting from the pairing/plot summary) I will tend to review it. However, I keep getting off-put of late. Sure, an author hearing good things is fine but I've twice over reviewed fics from a new author whose response has been to take down his two-sentence stories and ignore my suggestions. Then there was a story I reviewed that somehow disappeared from the archive, only to go up days later with the author complaining nobody reviewed their story. And then the legions of constructive criticisms I give people who're writing their first fics for the site, only to see that none of them ever take my advice; not even on content issues, but basic things like knowing when to use a semicolon or words that you need to use a comma with.

At the same time, it is very satisfying to see people who thank me in later chapters for my review, but the main issue is that unless I give a glowing review, it all seems for naught. It's likely what I'm reading, but few very interesting things have come up by authors I don't already leave a comment on the work of anyway. It becomes difficult for me, because I know from experience offering suggestions is about a 1 in 100 shot of being effective; assuming they even post another story, they generally ignore basic grammatical help. Even when I do give a positive review, the story then goes down and the author complains nobody reviewed it. Thanks a fucking lot.

I also tend to avoid leaving comments on "review or suffer" stories like the fucking plague. I'm actually not rereviewing the aforementioned fic because the deletion threat was made if nobody says anything. As a writer who tends to juggle a lot of WIPs, both ongoing series and oneshots, sometimes a single review will give me the inspiration to come out with that chapter I was three fourths of the way throughwhen I previously wasn't in the mood and hadn't updated it in months. However, I'm going to push away when people demand reviews and extort them from people, and that seems to be an increasing number, or at least increasing in the fics I come across.

It all just sort of combines to make reviewing more unnecessarily painful that it has to be.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Akurokufanatic

I would have to say that I have been extremely lucky. Though my stories are both yaoi they have gotten a lot of reviews. My first story ever written for this site got nine reviews, though I guess that's not a lot, after four chapters. My second story has gotten fifteen reviews after only three chapters. I love to get reviews and I really do take the time to listen to what my readers say. I also like to reply to their reviews. I make sure to reply to every single one because if your going to take the time to review then I should take the time to reply to your review.

I guess that's why I don't reply to some of the stories I read. Unless its a one-shot I like to see the author take the time to reply. If someone helped inspire me to write again I will definitely let them know and if someone gives me advice, why not listen. They are the ones reading it. I think that's part of the allure too, besides the fact that its a good story.

Of course I'm not saying that I am a better writer or anything I just think it helps if you reply to your reviewers. And it really is cool to go back to a story I've read and see that the author replied to what I wrote or something. Also getting little reviews like "Update soon" or something of the sort is actually very encouraging. It means people want to read what you wrote. I love to get those kind. :3

-Akurokufanatic

From the viewpoint of one of the legion who hasn't written (well, published) anything and tends not to review (sorry guys~) I find it difficult to actually express myself in a review.

There are so many stories that I've read that were good; it's just that nothing really caught my eye enough to comment on. Most of the time when I want to comment, I've only got something critical to say. A lot of people take critical reviews very badly and start complaining about being flamed, even if you really didn't write it with bad intentions - so I just don't leave those kinds of reviews if I like the story for fear of the author taking it the wrong way. Also, I don't find much point in leaving the one-sentence "omg xxx is so funny update please" reviews.

So it's all added up to me saying not very much at all :/

I think there's a lack of constructive feedback, not because we generally dislike your story, but because there's this whole sense on the site that unless the review is positive, then it's worthless - a troll, a flame. Please don't take a lack of reviews as a bad indication because yes, the bad things are much more likely to catch the attention of the reader than the good things, but if we're not pointing them out to you that probably means we don't want to discourage you.

There are the few, the brave, the constructive reviewers like megadeath425 above that have overcome that inherent shyness, and we salute you. But it kinda does seem from your post that you're not taken seriously despite being exactly the kind of reviewer that most people claim to want, which I think is a sad reflection on not all the authors, but enough of a minority that has ruined it for the rest.

Of course I'm not saying that I am a better writer or anything I just think it helps if you reply to your reviewers. And it really is cool to go back to a story I've read and see that the author replied to what I wrote or something. Also getting little reviews like "Update soon" or something of the sort is actually very encouraging. It means people want to read what you wrote. I love to get those kind. :3

Actually, as an archive mod, we are asking that people NOT do this in the archive in their stories at this point. During peak hours we are having problems with overload because of the increasing database size. We are working to fix it but it takes time to do. So, for now, we are asking that people not do this in stories or reviews but to start a thread here on the forum to do that or e-mail the person. Already tonight there has been problems loading the site, if you noticed lag in loading or getting time-out notices an having to refresh the page, you are seeing the problem.

A lot of readers aren't writers. They don't feel comfortable criticising a form when they aren't well-versed in its usage.

I never understand it when people say this. It's like saying because you haven't learned how to draw, you can't tell when something is off in a picture, which just isn't true. In my experience, someone without an artistic background is just as likely to point out poor proportions as anyone else - the idea being, we look at people every day, so we can tell when something is hinky in a representation of the form.

The same goes for readers. I know a lot of people who don't write, but are avid readers. In my opinion, this makes them more than qualified to point out mistakes. It doesn't even have to be specific - something like, "I don't understand this part" or "For some reason, this didn't make sense" is good enough. At the very least, it lets the writer know that perhaps their ideas aren't coming across quite as clearly as they might have thought.

Do readers not realise that in general, authors are going to publish subsequent installments faster if they perceive heightened interest?

Actually, they probably don't. In this instance, it is a case of being a reader vs. being a writer. The reader is there for the enjoyment of the story. If they aren't a writer, they have absolutely no concept of how much time and energy actually goes into making a cohesive string of events that are going to interest someone. It's torture some days, right? But the reader doesn't understand this. They don't understand that the only compensation we get is in the form of their feedback.

I'm also of the mind that replying to reviews seems to be the best way to get people to leave some sort of feedback. I know I love seeing replies to reviews I've left, and truth be told, it encourages me to review again. And I have to tell ya, even the "OMG i LUV this!!" reviews make me smile. Yeah, it's totally unhelpful at getting through a difficult plot point or characterization. But I still appreciate that someone took the time.

Finding good reviewers is sometimes like finding a good story - they can be few and far between. But trust me, they are out there - I've been lucky enough to run across a few of them.

I only read a story if I am interested by what the summary says and what content tags/labels it has. I also will not read any fanfiction if I am unfamiliar with the tv show/game/cartoon or whatever it's about. I just find it too hard to read about characters if they aren't OC and I have no idea what sort of character they are. To me, if I am unfamiliar with fanfic characters, reading a story about them is like skipping to the last chapter, not knowing anything about the characters, and it's just a waste of time.

So, if it's not an original story, I won't read it unless I'm familiar with what it's based on.

If I do read the story and I like it, I will say so, to let the author know that I enjoyed reading it. If I don't like it, it's usually because it's not of my tastes, and there's nothing wrong with the actual writing.

I write, though haven't got anything up at the moment. I did have a story up a while ago but removed it to re-write the whole thing, whilst I also have 6 other stories in progress.

Half the time I don't even know where the line is between 'a crap story' or just 'a story that didn't interest me', and I don't want to crit peoples writing if I just didn't like the story, if you know what I mean.

Guest Sightsoblind

Black Adder I've read your stories... and its been a YEAR since you even touched any of them that I had been reading... Many of your hits come from people like me checking back. If I find a story that hasn't been updated in over a month I have no faith the writer even cares about it anymore. Much less that anyone would read my comments. I also believe that for those writers that refuse to allow annonymous reviews they have very little room to complain I Review to tell you I loved it on a whim and sometimes I'll write one review to tell all my writers I love them and paste it over That was untill I had 3 authors complain tha tI had given them a "Generic" Kudo's and if I couldnt write to them indivually (out of 40 or so stories I read at any given time) They didnt want to see it clutter their reviews and deleated it.

Basicly what I'm saying is... You have to make it matter... and you have to stop abandoning stories... if your not writing... I'm not reviewing... Also a good way to drum lazy readers into reviews...

NO NEW CHAPTER UNTILL I GET X Number OF REVIEWS

Also a good way to drum lazy readers into reviews...

NO NEW CHAPTER UNTILL I GET X Number OF REVIEWS

Actually, that is now against the site rules...

Review "Whoring"

I'll start this with an explanatory. What this is, is a person who holds his/her story hostage for xx number of reviews. Someone who refuses to post unless they reach their stated target, and openly STATE this is what they are doing.

Stories where review whoring is taking place, are subject to the same action as a story which has an improper disclaimer. The user will receive a review from a moderator stating the problem, and that the story is subject to being hidden after 7 days if the demand is not removed from the story. In point of fact, someone on the outside, should they choose to pursue it, could construe it as a form of payment, which is why it is NOT allowed. Granted, I realize reviews are not money. That doesn't change the reason for why it's not allowed.

Which I personally think is wonderful. :] If you write for the sole purpose of getting reviews out of people, you shouldn't be writing in the first place.

Hallelujah on that! That's why we changed it, because we were all fed up with the "I'll hold my breath until I get my way" attitude when it came to writing and reviews. Anyway, that's my mini rant.

• 2 weeks later...
Hallelujah on that! That's why we changed it, because we were all fed up with the "I'll hold my breath until I get my way" attitude when it came to writing and reviews. Anyway, that's my mini rant.

I don't feel that's very fair. Having reviews gives you vital feedback. I agree that people shouldn't hold their breath until they get the reviews they want, but to say that people shouldn't write if that's all they're there for is terribly presumptuous. For example, I love hearing from people who review my work, good or bad. It lets me know what I'm strongest in and what I'm weakest in. It lets me know who's interested and how far that interest goes. Several of my stories don't have reviews, but that's hardly a surprise, since one's tucked in the dark recesses of the FFXI subcatagory, and the other one is a hetero pairing in the One Piece section, which sunk like a lead weight amongst the constant deluge of slash that floods that area.

Anyway, I have only myself to blame for those two, but I digress. Reviews tell me what I need to improve on, and how I can better serve my audience. Because, when you get right down to it, no-one's going to read my smut that's wearing a monocle, sipping tea and wearing a robe infront of a lit fireplace, saying 'Oh, my word!' several times a chapter. Most people don't log onto AFF for the quality of the material, but for those of us here to 'broaden our horizons', so to speak, it's nice to have reviews to let us know how we're doing.

So I suppose in that vein, not having any reviews says volumes, as well.

I personally consider myself lucky with my reviews. I have 12 reviews on my three world of warcraft stories, and 2 on a WIP dragon age origins story. None of them are one shots (though the WIP has only the first chapter up), and I place more value on reviews from people who actually follow my work. That is, my world of warcraft stories are actually a single ongoing series, and I've been lucky enough to have reviews who have read all of them. While 6k+ reads and 7 reviews may seem somewhat disproportionate (especially since one reader left multiple reviews), I'm just happy that anyone bothered at all.

I personally consider myself lucky with my reviews. I have 12 reviews on my three world of warcraft stories, and 2 on a WIP dragon age origins story. None of them are one shots (though the WIP has only the first chapter up), and I place more value on reviews from people who actually follow my work. That is, my world of warcraft stories are actually a single ongoing series, and I've been lucky enough to have reviews who have read all of them. While 6k+ reads and 7 reviews may seem somewhat disproportionate (especially since one reader left multiple reviews), I'm just happy that anyone bothered at all.

ain't that the truth and nothing but.

A smaller demographic of readers are drawn to AFF than fanfiction.net, and out of that an even smaller part of AFF readers care enough to review a story. I remember being estatic when I got my first review, having waited for ages for it to come. I've since gotten more realistic expectations, although I always ask for reviews at the end of every update.

My advice to those who crave input and reviews is that if your work is PG/PG-13 enough to put onto AFF, you should head there to post your stories. I'm pretty sure you won't be dissapointed, although do expect a higher probability that some juvenile dickweed will flame you for no better reason than them wanting to. As I've said before FF.net has alot more traffic, and proportionally alot more griefers and trolls. It you do go to FF.net don't let that put you off.

I'm also on FF, but I prefer AFF because while FF may have more quantity, it does not have the quality that AFF has. For example, I'm very happy with my 14 reviews on 2 chapters of my femslash story. Especially considering the time they've put into writing them, I'm even more happy. I'd rather have one detailed review than 200 "i like it plz updat soon" messages. It's nice, but it feels a bit empty and unappreciative.

On the note of reviews, while feedback is of course lovely, I do remain with my views. When I first started writing, I didn't publish any of it, I just typed away and saved it in a little file. Nobody ever saw the first things I wrote. Then there's one-shots I've written recently that are very morbid, and perhaps better to remain unseen. It's one of those things you write for yourself, you know? So I guess it depends on what you do with your story. If you'd like feedback, more power to you. If you keep it in a little dark notebook, more power to you as well! =]

Your writing, your words, your art. It is yours to do with as you please, so long as you don't demand anything or threaten to kill someone's cat if not given reviews. :spit:

Guest Purple Lizard

I'v written since grade school. All kninds of thing, stories, poems, books, some long and some short. My feed back has ranged from "I really like it," to "What is this dog crap"

My grammer is lacking, and the whole past present tense thing screws me everytime.

I don't have a beta, or editer, or even the skill that some have naturaly.

I do know that I like to write, and that like all creative people, I have some good stories in me.

When it comes to reviews, thats all I really want to know.

Did you like the story?

Really thats all FF is.

Not the originals of course, but the others, like HP, Buffy, or POTC, to hit the popular ones.

You saw the movie, or read the book, or liked the show. It inspired you, the story took you some place that you wanted to be.

And thru the glory that is AFF, you can go into that world, and create your own stories.

As for the reader verse writer thing, I dont think it should matter. Reader or writer. if you like it, you should say something. You dont have to be a pro to say the story moved you, or its not you kind of thing.

I have one story now, and at the begining of it, thats what i wrote. I hope you like the story, it was fun to write, and I hope its fun to read. I have one review, and I'm okay with it,(not to say more wouldnt be nice) cuz I think that person is enjoying the story.

When I"m reading a good story, the grammer and all that doen't bother me, my mind will fill in the blanks, or paste over the cracks, cuz I'm more focused on whats happening.

In my response to the review, I told 'em thanks. cuz I dont think is a single artist out there who doesn't like knowing other enjoyed their work.

Sadly, I'm a bit of a hyporcit, I haven't reviewed much. But after spending some time on this thread, I'm planning on amending that.

Who knows, maybe with more attention out there, we can get more attention in here.