Click Here!

A Match Made In Convenience: Review Replies and Discussion

Eris Night

HarryGinny4eva 6/26/13

You clever girl haha! Yes it was slightly obvious but I wasn't sure if people would catch on to that fact or even remember the things that he could do! When i read your review I fist pumped the air like "yes!! somebody got it" haha! What good is time magic if our not so bad, bad boy never uses it to his advantage!! And it's only chapter 9!! just you wait!!

Thank you for constantly reading and reviewing! You're continued support makes me feel like we're fanfiction comrades! Once I get through with this, I look forward to reading what you write as well!!

:)

Guest Atlantean_Diva

Where to start… Ah yes, fiction. I know what that is. I find myself reading it quite frequently. Now, fanfiction is a twist on original fiction as it is stories written using characters that someone else created. As someone who has written fanfiction, I know authors rarely write a character exactly as the original author may have seen fit. I don’t expect it. I do expect for people writing canon to come somewhat close. Now, I’m not saying that your characterizations are bad. You are entitled to write them as you see fit, but I am entitled to disagree with the way you’ve written them because I’m not convinced within the world you created or any other for that matter that that is how certain characters would act. But that’s each of our prerogatives.

You mentioned some things that I never took issues, one being your characterization of Ginny. As I said in my review, I can take or leave Ginny. I prefer stories where she and Harry are not a couple. I also prefer her with Blaise. I don’t believe that the Weasleys would ask for a larger house, not even under the assumption that they needed for more space. I must have read something wrong, because I thought it said somewhere in the earlier chapters that all the Weasley’s lived together. My mistake. I don’t mind Weasley bashing, but it’s nice to be warned…

Ron was one of my favorite characters in Harry Potter, so believe me when I say that I know All of Ron’s faults. I wouldn’t expect him to be some perfect angel, but it’s always nice when a Dramione writer doesn’t feel the need to shit on him. He gets shat on in 90% of Dramione fanfiction. It as if he must be written as the bad guy in order to make Draco look good. Now, I do agree with you that Ron would be upset that she moved in with Harry, and he also does impulsive things when he’s angry. I’m not disputing the small things. However, I don’t believe Ron would want Hermione to become Molly2.0 or he’d just expect for things to fall in line after cheating on her. Guess what, Ron grew up. I know it’s hard for some Dramione fans to believe.

Draco was asshole in the stories and Dramione fans just loooove to make him seem like Lucius was the only reason he acted that way. News flash, it wasn’t. Draco was an asshole and a coward. He was no better than Ron. And yet, so many Dramione authors sweep that under the rug. I like Draco. I even mentioned in my review that I liked your characterization of him. I would never want a perfect Draco. His arrogance and cockiness are two of the things I adore about him. Draco is a bad boy. This is one of the reasons why I love him. I love bad boys, which is why I’m also a Tomione fan.

As far as Hermione goes, we can agree to disagree. But I will say this, because this story is supposed to be cannon—I personally prefer writing and reading alternative universe stories—I expect Hermione to seem more like a mature version JK’s Hermione. I do not believe that Hermione would be calling a man who cheated on her the love of her life. However, I do agree that ‘if’ she did, she would take things slow. Ron was a dick in book four and six, but he didn’t cheat on her with Lavender. He was just a stupid teenage boy. I still think the cheating storyline is a cop out and nothing you say or try to reason out is going to change that. Perhaps I’m just sick of this over used trope. It truly annoys me, and it’s not as if I haven’t read Ron cheating in the past, but for some reason, in this story, I dislike the way it’s being handled. So maybe it’s the way you’re writing the situation, rather than the situation itself.

I’ve read so many different versions of these characters, especially Hermione. There’s depressed Hermione, slag Hermione, submissive Hermione, dumber than Draco Hermione, aggressive Hermione, super Hermione, sweet-as-candy-will-cause-a-toothache Hermione, giggly Hermione, blonde Hermione (I detest this one), and dark Hermione. I don’t mind your overall characterization of Hermione, but I disagree with much of her thought process.

I never said that this story was going to slow. I actually said that I liked the pace. The slow build is nice, but it’s tiresome to constantly read about how sexy they find each other. It’s beginning to sound like a broken record.

Reading your response made me realize something; you have a tendency to gloss over a certain things: the Weasleys, Lucius just giving up his beliefs, etc. I don’t believe this is conscience choice on your part. It’s usually something small, but it affects the world you’ve created.

I will not stop reading this story, yet. If I do it will be because it no longer interests me and these days it’s hard for a story to hold my interest.

I didn’t hit on everything you mentioned, but I this reply it long enough.

Atlantean Diva 6/26/13

On second thought, thank you for your opinions. Considering you didn't receive a warning about the Weasley bashing, I'll let you know as a warning, all the things you take issue with probably won't change. Draco and Hermione WILL keep holding eachothers interest in the more obvious of ways, Ronald is prone to do something worse before he get's better and I will keep writing the way I have been allowing my reader to use their imagnation to fill in the blanks.

The whole keeping your interest thing is your own prerogative, doesn't affect me either way. But rather continuing a discussion on issues I'm positive we won't agree on or rather will ensue in a long repetitive dialogue that won't satisfy your opinions, or help me grow as an author. I'm thanking you for your time and your reviews:)

Edited by Eris Night

Moodysavage 6/26/13

Lol you'll just have to wait to find out;)!

Kit 6/27/13

Haha, I haven't really done a cliffhanger before so instead of trying to jam it all in one chapter, I split this encounter into two haha!

Thank you for reading haha and until next time!

Thegirl191 6/27/13

Haha, I thought so too, but i'll try to make up for it in future chapters lol!

Victoria Cox 6/27/13

I agree, however this story writes itself and everything will happen in it's own time. I can tell you however that the split and the reason for it is coming in the next 4 chapters so by chapter 13. You should be thoroughly happy with the situation.

SPOILERS* Keep an eye out for "Love Makes You Crazy and Thunder Thunder in the Night"

Edited by Eris Night

Lolo 6/28/13

Lol that's the plan, I just have to be careful though because doing Luna justice is hard! I can't just throw her in there and have her be completely normal. So i've got to work on her lol! But thank you for reading and reviewing!

Victoria 6/28/13

That is incredibly sweet of you and I take that as amazingly high praise! That's my entire intent. I want to create a world that immerses my readers and so i'm proud that you feel that way! I'm working on the story as we speak and i will update as soon as I can:)

Thank you so much for reading and for leaving me such an awesome review!!

Magic Words 6/28/13

Magic Words is no exaggeration! I'm glad that somebody feels exactly how I do haha:) That's quite literally exactly how I feel through this process and despite all, I will continue to do this story my way haha. I mean you literally said exactly how I feel about my writing process, the story kind of writes itself and everything happens in it's own time.

I am truly grateful that you recognized this and spoke on it! You're amazing and I appreciate you more than you know!

Eris :)

So, let me start off saying I like the story. I really really do. Your descriptions are so beautiful. When I read the description of Draco's front room, I was in awe at the imaginative approach at room design.

This is my problem, and it's totally just a grammar thing, don't walk away (Or click the mouse away which is probably more accurate haha) from reading this thinking I'm attacking you. When you change speakers, it should start a new paragraph. It's such a stupid little thing but it's bothering me. Your chapters are already wonderfully long, and this will make them seem longer, but it also breaks the paragraph. It makes the conversations easier to follow. Last, you as the writer in a two person conversation, don't have to identify the speaker for each quote.

I'm so worried you will think I'm being nit-picky, but don't. This is (I hope) constructive criticism...

I'll give you an example of what I mean:

Hermione almost had herself back under control with her mantra, but then that all went to hell when Malfoy nodded in Harry's direction and grinned. She almost had a coronary. Hermione had never seen anything remotely close to a smile from Malfoy, but damn how it was gorgeous! His cheek quirked upward revealing a dimple and his teeth were so white and straight she knew even her parents would be proud. “Don't you have a date with Weasley Potter? If you're late to this one I’m sure she might actually hex you. You've got less than a half hour to be there.” Hermione's breath caught in her throat, his voice no longer grating and sarcastic, but a deep timbre with the hint of sophistication and he wasn't even exuding any hostility toward her best friend! What was this? What was going on?
Harry stood up abruptly at the reminder “Shit! Hermione I'm sorry to cut this short, I forgot about tonight when I told you to come over.” Malfoy turned and walked away but Hermione was still in a daze.
She absent-mindedly waved affirmation in Harry's direction “Yeah that's okay”.
Harry noticed his friend's far away expression. He went to her and placed his hands on her shoulders “Are you alright? I'm sorry if I went overboard with the tickling charm. I'll make it up to you promise” It was the oddest thing Harry noted, she seemed to be at a loss for words, but she quickly snapped out of it and smiled up to him.
“Yea I’m perfectly fine, got lost in thought for a moment but yes we should make plans for later this week. I'll be with the Weasley's while I look for a place of my own. Come visit and don't think you'll make me forget. I'm going to get you back for that tickling charm and it won’t be pleasant Harry James Potter.”
Then she was tidying her scarf and out the house with the roar of the fireplace before he could reply “weird.” Harry looked at the spot where his best friend had been and then looked toward the doorway where she had been staring. A bell went off in his head at the implication but he dismissed the thought as soon as it arose “no way.” Then he re-remembered that he was late for his date and rushed upstairs to get dressed.
-From Ch. 1

Morning Snow 6/29/13

No worries, I don't shy away from any critiques!

However that is truly interesting! This is something, I did not know. I 100% believe you when you say that this is the correct format and i will do my best to implement it in the future. I can't say that i'll follow it for remainder of the story, only out of sheer laziness with having to edit the other chapters to match. But I will definitely remember this writing rule!

Thank you for showing me an example, it actually was really helpful to see the correct format as opposed to just reading about it:)

Guest MagicWords

Magic Words 6/28/13

Magic Words is no exaggeration! I'm glad that somebody feels exactly how I do haha:) That's quite literally exactly how I feel through this process and despite all, I will continue to do this story my way haha. I mean you literally said exactly how I feel about my writing process, the story kind of writes itself and everything happens in it's own time.

I am truly grateful that you recognized this and spoke on it! You're amazing and I appreciate you more than you know!

Eris :)

I think that most writers go through similar processes, at least that's the case with every published author I know, ( and there's a lot of them..)

We also recognize the difference between critiques that are meant to be constructive, and those that are simply criticism for its own sake.

Morning Snow Is a good example of the constructive type...

She is correct about the new line for the change of speaker. BEsides being a basic "rule" It just makes its aheck of a lot easier to follow the conversations and know who is saying what. It is a common and minor mistake that new writers would have no way of knowing about unless someone pointed it out.

I commend Morning Snow...she offered the information without malice, but rather, a with genuine desire to help good writer become even better, and you recognized that.

The "techincal" aspects of creative writing are something that CAN be learned and utilized..

What cannot be learned, however, is the ability to actually tell a story...a good story..that keeps the reader engaged.

That is the most important element in the creative process and you most definitely have THAT well in hand.

Everything else can and will be polished as you continue to write.

Just keep writing...I want to se what happens next!

SOON! LOL :-)

-S

aka "MagicWords"

Morning Snow Is a good example of the constructive type...

She is correct about the new line for the change of speaker. BEsides being a basic "rule" It just makes its aheck of a lot easier to follow the conversations and know who is saying what. It is a common and minor mistake that new writers would have no way of knowing about unless someone pointed it out.

I commend Morning Snow...she offered the information without malice, but rather, a with genuine desire to help good writer become even better, and you recognized that.

The "techincal" aspects of creative writing are something that CAN be learned and utilized..

Morning Snow 6/29/13

No worries, I don't shy away from any critiques!

However that is truly interesting! This is something, I did not know. I 100% believe you when you say that this is the correct format and i will do my best to implement it in the future. I can't say that i'll follow it for remainder of the story, only out of sheer laziness with having to edit the other chapters to match. But I will definitely remember this writing rule!

Thank you for showing me an example, it actually was really helpful to see the correct format as opposed to just reading about it:)

Aw, *blush* thanks you guys. Ya'll are so sweet.

Sorry, I just wanted to say thanks for being so nice... I don't have anything else to add... :dots:

Vicky 6/30/13

Ah shoot :) Well all I can say in Draco's defense is that he's an attractive multimillionaire bachelor that has women throwing themselves at him more often than not. He's never had to work for a GF and can't even identify what it feels like to be uncertain about a womans affections. Plus we haven't had a lot of dialogue from him, so he's not some magical saint that is just kind and understanding lol. No no no, he's still our quick witted arrogant Malfoy but he's slightly more mature. Granted he baits Hermione a lot but it's his nature. It's interesting to read your review though because I'm 4 chapters ahead and so it all makes sense to me lol. It will get better once he get's his head on straight. As you can see from this chapter, he's clearly in denial and unable to handle his intense attraction to Hermione:)

I think it would have been weird if he answered all her questions nicely and was forthcoming with information haha, but no worries! Once they get to know eachother it will get better!

Thank you for reading and reviewing!

Victoria 6/30/13

Interesting observation, I'm going to leave the chapter as it is, please point out the spelling mistakes so that I can understand what you mean. From the sound of the review it would seem as though they are often throughout my fiction. I apologize if I've been missing them. Is it possible that I'm misspelling homophones? To be honest I first write the story in Microsoft word and then just copy and paste it over, so i'm not seeing the spelling errors because my document isn't showing any.

If there are one or two that's kinda normal, I mean i can live with that. But if it's impairing my audiences ability to read and appreciate the work than I DEFINITELY want to know how I'm messing up. Is it the spelling of words or rather the misuse of one word when I meant another? Please be a bit more specific, I definitely do that on occasion and while I read the chapters fully before I post them. I'm prone to make mistakes.

Unfortunately I will not be using a beta for any of my writing, so if there are any future problems of this nature please leave me examples so that i can improve on them in the future.

I anxiously await your reply, thank you for your review!

P.S. I really totally mean this lol! I want to know everythingI do wrong 100% so that I do better in the future! Also I aim to please haha, I'll keep trying to update as soon as possible!!

Edited by Eris Night

Moody Savage 7/1/13

!! I know! I swear writing this is like the sexiest guilty pleasure of all time. I keep thinking of all the scenarios I can get my lovely Hermione into and just you wait! The upcoming chapters will be quite something! Don't forget some of the detail from the previous chapters! There are actually alot of spoilers laid out that most wouldn't notice:)

Thank you for sticking with it this long! I really appreciate you!

Heather 7/1/13

Thank you for reading it:) Let's hope i can continue to make you feel that way:)

Tiachutis 7/1/13

AHHHH your comment made me so excited because there is this show called Doctor Who that is my second favorite thing to Harry Potter, so when you said that I like died! Draco is a Time Lord! It's awesome! I never thought of it like that haha!

I really appreciate your review, it makes everything so fun to write!

Thank you for reading!!!

Sheila 7/1/13

Haha Thank you!! I'm writing until my fingers get too numb to continue! I'll keep it coming!

Dracos Ari 7/2/13

Thank you! I'm so glad and truly appreciative that you took the time to review! I'll do my best to keep it coming!!!

:)

I promise to update today haha. I have been having a hard time making chapters 11 and 12 perfect because they are the main two transitional chapters before things speed up and we get to the good stuff. There is A Lot of foundational information I need to incorporate and it has to be perfect lol. So update today I promise as soon as I get home from work! Also exactly! River song is amazing. Haha doctor who is my second favorite fantom to HP lol so you see the correlation :) thank you for writing though! I'll stop being a perfectionist now haha

Also third times the charm. I will try and break up the paragraphs more. Bear with me as its a learning process but I'm willing to try whatever makes reading the story easier for you. A new paragraph every time someone speaks seems excessive to me, so no promises it will be as often as that but I will definitely 86 super long paragraphs. Thank you for being honest!

HarryGinny4eva

Honestly, your review is like a weight being lifted off my shoulders haha. I was so worried people wouldn't understand that Harry might not have had the easiest time after the war. But woo Chapter 12 is up today and i'm writing more all day long!

Thank you for your review!

Morning Snow 7/8/13

LOL! I try to refrain from cliffhangers when I can but when I run out of space in a chapter I'm forced to resort to them haha. I personally hate cliffhangers when reading WIP's but am very hypocritical because i'll use them in a heartbeat haha!

Also I think the main point that I wanted to express is that Draco is a dashingly clever and good guy. I'm team Draco Malfoy all the way and by the end of this fiction everyone will be in love with him and hopefully converted Muahahaha (My evil plot revealed!)

Remember that Harry is not the romeo that Malfoy is, so IF he ends up with Luna, it won't be a smooth ride lol. But i've got some ideas that just may shock you! My biggest concern these days are doing Luna justice lol. I am obsessed with her lately and absolutely want to get her characterization correct. But either way we'll see:)

Also Ginny is really preoccupied with living the glamourous A-list lifestyle but that's something she developed later in life once she realized that she was with THE Harry Potter. Ron however has always wanted to stand out so his "fame hounding" is a little less than his sisters. Honestly Ronald is just in a place where he resents everyone that has what he wants and lashes out because he doesnt know how to achieve it. There might be a little redemption with him, but its gonna get a whole lot worse before it gets better lol. Ginny however (I hated her character) will not be treated to some sort of magical turn around lol.

As always thank you for reading! I adore you!

Eris:)

Anon 7/8/13

All in good time! I really think you should read the chapter spoiler I'm going to post after replying to the reviews! I think you'll be pleased! ;}

Colao 7/8/13

Lol you may be the only one not cursing me for the cliffhanger haha! Stay tuned for tomorrow update!!

Rachel 7/8/13

I really truely appreciate that! I'm so happy you feel that way! Characterization is important to me and I spend a lot of time thinking about how they would react to certain situations! Hopefully i continue doing these characters justice in the future!

Moodysavage 7/9/13

As always you crack me up! Reading your reviews is like the best thing ever in the morning! I think the answer to your desires are coming soon. I'm seeing very single characters in the nearby future!

Keep an eye out for the chapter spoilers coming!!

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.