Click Here!

The Reader's Ten Commandments

scottishfae

There always seems to be some breakdown of communication somewhere that leaves authors and readers frustrated with each other. To open those lines of communication I submit this post, one of two, that will help break down what both writers and readers like to see. These are working guidelines, so feel free to add on your own opinions. I'm only going to post a few that I know of and hope that other people can help feel out the form to its fullest. Remember, don't be unreasonable with your suggestions.

Ten Commandments

o1) Not all stories inspire reviews, but for those that do, reviews help encourage authors and help them grow as writers.

o2) Reviews with only "update soon" are frustrating for authors. A sentence or two explaining what you dis/liked about the story will almost always be more of an encouragement to update.

o3) There is a difference between constructive criticism, criticism, and flaming. Most authors do not mind constructive criticism, some don't mind criticism*, and almost all of them despise flames.

*Recent studies have suggested that criticism is actually counter-productive if there isn't some sort of positive remark attached to it or if suggestions for improvement aren't given.

Note: Not every review has to contain CC, but if you feel you want to give criticism, this is something to remember

Thou shalt read the warnings before the fic

If a fic says 'incest' or 'rape' and you are against such things, save the author some time and don't read it. Don't be surprised if something like that happens because you didn't have the time to read the content matter. There is nothing more annoying than being attacked because of subject matter when it was stated in the warnings. The same thing goes for if the fic is labelled 'complete' or 'one shot'. If a fic is done, don't ask for more, the author finished it that way for a reason.

Actually, I like simple reviews. It lets me know that there's someone who enjoys it at least. Constructive criticism is always welcome of course... I'm always interested in ways readers think I can improve. But to know my work is enjoyed at least is almost as good.

I think it should be, If one enjoys a story, thou shalt review period. I think most authors appreciate all kinds of encouragenent, and not all readers are experts in writing.

Actually, I like simple reviews. It lets me know that there's someone who enjoys it at least. Constructive criticism is always welcome of course... I'm always interested in ways readers think I can improve. But to know my work is enjoyed at least is almost as good.

I think it should be, If one enjoys a story, thou shalt review period. I think most authors appreciate all kinds of encouragenent, and not all readers are experts in writing.

I'll reword it, I'm not saying simple reviews aren't welcome. I'm saying that "update soon" isn't really a review and I haven't met an author yet that appreciates that. I'm also not saying that every reader needs to leave constructive criticism, but it's much preferred over flames (and often just out right criticism).

I like the 'update soon' stuff because I have so little self esteem that the acknowledgement that someone has read my work AND wants more of it is a wonderful thing. It spurs my to write. I'm sort of a procrastinator, getting started is hard for me, but once I do, things flow very well. For example, I have a fic I haven't update for five years, but there were suddenly a rush of 'please update' messages and I decided, why not? In three days I had wrote three more chapters because those messages kicked me in the ass. However, I am in total agreement that these do not count as reviews. You're not really reviewing unless you say why or why not you like something. I'd update even faster if you said that you like my forward movement or character development. I mean, if someone says they like my stuff, but doesn't specify and I change the plot a little, they'll suddenly change and say they don't like the fic anymore. Well, then you should say why you liked it in the first place. So, yes 'please update' is ok, just fluff the review up a bit more than that, ok?

• 1 month later...
Guest Monsterking

i agree with shingamiinochi since he is one of the more sensible people i know off minus of course demongoddess herself and soloris. i could be wrong though since due to my unorthodoxy i can not rightfully defend myself as someone reasonable within the realm of fanfiction

Peace out brother and sisters and "do you smell what the authors are writing?"

I don't mind the 'Update soon' reviews... UNLESS it's a one shot.

I made it a one shot on purpose... please please please do not beg for more, because to put it simply... that muse has ran away and will probably never return.

I don't mind flames either... I see them as a form of entertainment, besides... sometimes they inspire my dark muse or crack muse to come out biting. <_<

i agree with shingamiinochi since he is one of the more sensible people i know off minus of course demongoddess herself and soloris. i could be wrong though since due to my unorthodoxy i can not rightfully defend myself as someone reasonable within the realm of fanfiction

Peace out brother and sisters and "do you smell what the authors are writing?"

^^ thanks, but I'm a girl, but that's ok, because apparently my icon is misleading. =)

Thou shalt not pimp your fics and/or your friends' fics in the review. Please don't comment just to tell someone to go read something else. That in no way tells what you did or didn't like about the author's story.

Thou shalt not threaten/annoy authors in an effort to get them to update sooner. Really. You wouldn't believe the stuff people do when they want an update.

I agree with greenwizard about the simple reviews, just a sentence or two telling me what did or didn't suck (without being rude or hateful of course) is plenty for me.

^^ I LOVE your Mikami Icon. When I got my glasses I made sure the ones I bought looked kind of like his. I'm so lame.

Anyway, I am a total review whore. I like "update soons" and I like flames because I make sure that the next chapter contains even more of what the flamer was flaming. Kind of like a giant "fuck you" if they continued reading.