Click Here!

Jk Rowling Mad- Anyone Else See This?

bookworm51485

I'm not a big JKR fan at the moment... The seventh book was.... I don't even think there's a word to describe it. I agree that things couldn't end all happy, but to me it felt like she was getting off on killling off almost everyone. From another author's viewpoint some of those deaths were just pointless and stupid. I won't say any more in case someone out there hasn't read it yet... but one of them had me going WTF. Her writing started out good and then went to crap.

Personally, I think she's just gotten greedy. Soon we won't even be able to write fanfiction even though we don't profit from it. It's sad to see people fight over money.

If JK had stated during her promotions of her last and dare I say it, lousy book, that she will be doing a HP informational book on the series in a few months or so, that I need some time to reclaim some peace in my life, the folks at the lexicon would have probably held off on doing their version.

I think she is getting a bit too greedy, now that no one is waiting for her next HP book, people don't go to her website anymore (she probably noticed the views are now extremely down since the release of the final book and her comments about Dumbledore in front of children who probably loved Dumbledore only to find out that he was gay. He never seemed gay to me, personally, I saw him as a man who was moving pawns in a chess game and Harry was one of the pawns against Lord Voldemort.

I think she's not that great of a writer now, I loved the series up to the last book, the last book just seemed to me, written rushly and not really given any serious thought about how lousy it was. She made Hermione and Ginny into wimpy women after they married Ron and Harry respectively. And killing off Fred, that I didn't like nor Remus's death either.

Beth

Yeah, there were lots of gaping holes in the last one. There are holes through the whole series, but I won't go into all of them. The death that made me go WTF was Dobby. She wtote in the 4th book I think it was that house elves were extremely powerful creatures that just happened to be enslaved. And Dobby was killed with a knife... A KINFE!!! How do you kill a powerful creature with a knife!? *screams* And in the end the house elves came out to fight with kitchen knives... Give me a fucking break!

And that whole thing about the unbeatable wand being Draco's... I could drive a bus through that hole. Draco didn't kill Dumbledore. All he did at the end of the 6th book was stand there and cry. So how exactly did he defeat Dumbledore again? The wand shouldn't have even belonged to Snape because the whole thing was planned.

Oh, and the best part was Harry killing Voldemort. He used a disarming spell.... Voldemort was at the castle with lots of Death Eaters trying to kill them all... and he tried to disarm him! I know that was supposed to be his signature move... which also makes absolutely no sense... but when someone is trying to kill you don't you try to kill them back? Was Voldemort suppose to get down on his knees and beg for mercy when he lost his wand?

Yes, I know I'm ranting. But the whole way through the series it seemed to me that she was just pulling stuff out of her ass. And then at the last book she went 'Oh shit, I need to tie up all my loose ends'. So she just took all of her loose ends and randomly stuck them together with glue. I love the story line, but it's full of holes.

I really do hope she enjoys all of her millions because she is never going to sell another book ever again. Maybe this whole lawsuit buisness is her way of drumming up drama to keep her books popular. And she released statements saying she knew fans were going to be pissed at her, so why did she do it? I think she's an unstable whacko.

All I'll say is, I don't like the writer, nor the books. >> And I could write a better series. :3

She really wasn't a good writer.... I actually read this thing last night, it was comparing Star Wars to Harry Potter, and... Honestly, if you switch names around, it's exactly the same story line.... Well, swap out Jedi for Wizard... Yeah, that's all.

That is my two cents.

Hmm... interesting thought. I never got into Star Wars, so I wouldn't know. I'm not going to say it isn't possible. I do remember someone claiming they were the original writer and she stole it. I can believe that too. The first book was really good. It all went downhilll after that. Difference in quality is one of the indicators of plaguerism. Though I myself have had the quality of my writing decline when I tried to force it. I won't make that mistake again.

• 3 weeks later...

I think in a way jo is right to do this. Yea im a potter freak and also a star wars fans and to be honest i dont see anything that says they are alike...

Jo is the writer of these books not the person running the lexicon. The reason its such a big deal is because this dude is going to make money on jo's idea and characters. If you were to write a series like this and a person running a site that holds all the information on the books would you want that person getting money off your storys?

Our fiction is not making money so it doesnt hurt jo. I dont think its greed that has her doing this but wanting to keep her creation safe. There is something to it. Its not that she wants more money but to protect the copy write...... do you get what im saying?

Greenwizard, I agree with you. Deathly Hallows was a debacle and I've ranted to anyone who would listen (as well as to those who didn't want to hear it). Practically everything in that book was out of left field, it was like someone else wrote it. I wouldn't be surprised if Rowling combed through all the fanfic and HP sites and borrowed bits and pieces from fan stories. She was never a great author, but she managed to write entertaining books (in the beginning) that appealed to the 9-12 year old set, but that adults could enjoy as well. If she wasn't up to writing the seventh book, she should have waited until she was. Rather than resolve things set in motion in earlier books, or things she "hinted" about in interviews, she left things hanging, or tied them up in a manner than can only be described as lame; then she proceeded to focus on a needlessly lengthy Dumbledore backstory, the titular hallows that were never freaking mentioned in six previous books, the excruciatingly boring camping trip from Hell, and Frodo's ring (sorry, Harry's locket). The announcement she made so soon after DH's publication about her "encyclopedia" with more facts about characters, etc. is an obvious attempt to grab more money by keeping the franchise alive. Truth be told, I lost all respect for her somewhere around page 6 of that monstrosity known as Deathly Hallows; I couldn't give my copy away fast enough.

I still have my copy. The storyline in general is great. But I could point out holes throughout the whole series. But I'm fixing it in my own version. And yeah, I often had the feeling while reading that she took some stuff from other people's fan fics. I actually read one where Harry sacrificed himself and the piece of soul in him died but he survived. I wish I could find that fic again, but I don't remember the title. It was good.

I still have my copy. The storyline in general is great. But I could point out holes throughout the whole series. But I'm fixing it in my own version. And yeah, I often had the feeling while reading that she took some stuff from other people's fan fics. I actually read one where Harry sacrificed himself and the piece of soul in him died but he survived. I wish I could find that fic again, but I don't remember the title. It was good.

was this story read before or after the last book came out?

Alot of fans had their own thoughts on how the book would end. this story you read might very well be what the fan thought. I dont think she reads fanfic. but whatever lol.

In reference to the whole Star Wars thing.....Yes, it does seem a like, but every action/fantasy book I've ever read has been set up in a way very similar to Star Wars. It's the whole good vs. evil thing. It's....the basis of everything. The Bible being a relatively good example. (Please don't shoot me for that....When it all comes down to it, edited and changed and what not, it is all about good vs. evil, even if you think it's a fictional peice of garbage.)

I got the first Harry Potter book in December of '98, I wanna say. (Can't remember....All I can remember was it was a Christmas present when I was a lot younger.) At first, I put it aside and didn't really read it because at that time, books like that didn't interest me. I was an extremely intelligent little kid, (I have the IQ and other various testing scores to back that up.) and I was reading at a high school level. Though, after several months, I got bored, picked it up, and cleared through it in a day. I have to say that it was amazing, and it left me going 'Is there more to this? She did write stuff about it being a school that you went to for Seven years....HEY! I wanna go there!!!'...I was also slightly ADHD.

I do think the quality went down hill a bit as each book came out (Prisoner of Azkaban being an exception. I really enjoyed that one.) and Deathly Hallows was definately a litterary peice of poo in my opinion. There were many unneeded things in there, (Like the Camping Trip.....WTH was that all about?) and things I definately wouldn't have done, had I been the author of it.

But, there is one thing that does kind of redeem it....a little. The whole story came out of something she wrote for herself, and as stories for her young daughter. There were things she probably changed at the last moment because in they wouldn't fly right with her readers, or the literary community in general, and obviously, she made worse choices doing so. But I won't hold her against it. I still like the books, but I won't purchase anything that comes out after this. I believe that the movies will give her enough money to satisfy her.

Oh, and Dumbledore, definately not gay. I think that was a publicity thing....a stupid one.

After the third book, it all really started going downhill. And I agree with every single person who felt that the final book was horrible. The pairings were slapped together at random, and the names of all the future children? Blatant mary/gary sue. Snape? Entirely too intelligent and powerful to be killed by the bite of a giant snake, especially a snake that was killed by NEVILLE LONGBOTTOM. Kreacher pulled a 180 in personality for no reason other than the fact that suddenly, he was shown kindness. Hermione showed Kreacher plenty of kindness previously, and he was still a nasty little snot. What changed with this sudden bout of kindness, that was more forced this time than anything? Voldemort's death was pathetic. Plain and simple. Hedwig... why kill the mail bird?

And one last thing that I found immensely interesting. I read a fic once on ff.net more than two years ago, in which the author placed his/her characterization of Dumbledore's mother in the story. They named Dumbledore's mother Kendra.

Coincidence? You decide.

Guest Tuftiperkys
After the third book, it all really started going downhill. And I agree with every single person who felt that the final book was horrible. The pairings were slapped together at random, and the names of all the future children? Blatant mary/gary sue. Snape? Entirely too intelligent and powerful to be killed by the bite of a giant snake, especially a snake that was killed by NEVILLE LONGBOTTOM. Kreacher pulled a 180 in personality for no reason other than the fact that suddenly, he was shown kindness. Hermione showed Kreacher plenty of kindness previously, and he was still a nasty little snot. What changed with this sudden bout of kindness, that was more forced this time than anything? Voldemort's death was pathetic. Plain and simple. Hedwig... why kill the mail bird?

And one last thing that I found immensely interesting. I read a fic once on ff.net more than two years ago, in which the author placed his/her characterization of Dumbledore's mother in the story. They named Dumbledore's mother Kendra.

Coincidence? You decide.

Yeah, she probably stole her idea from a fan fiction. Are you fucking serious? Even if it were true that you 'found' this fan fiction, you're right, it's not at all likely that with the millions of fan fiction writers out there that someone might have landed upon the same name as JKR for an extraneous character. Give me a break.

Please continue to bash one of the best authors ever produced. So, you don't like her books and you don't think she's a particularly prolific writer, what the fuck ever, she inspired children to read! Do you have any idea the immensity of that accomplishment? As for the person who said Dumbledore isn't gay, are you blind? I told anyone who would listen to me after I finished the seventh book that Dumbledore had a boy crush on Grindelwald, it was painfully obvious, and then a few months later she confirmed it. Honestly, you were surprised? If you write slash or think like a slash writer, it was staring you in the face. And if you write fan fiction based on Harry Potter and you're bashing JK, what the fuck are you thinking? She wrote those characters, she made them what they are, she gave them sustenance and personality, she gave them widespread appeal, she's what made it possible for you to manipulate them for your own greedy desires.

Star Wars, Harry Potter, huge fan of both (My penname is Calrissian18 and I write Harry Potter fics) they're not the same. Not even close. Yeah, they have a good vs. evil plot but according to your logic, the Harry Potter series is comparable to Little Red Riding Hood. Screw the person who said they could write a better series. Yeah, I'm sure it would be just as original, involving, and well thought out. Great plan, can't wait to see you put that into action.

As for the supposed holes in the story, it's her fucking story, she can write whatever the hell she wants. If she says that when you disarm a person the wand is theirs unless given back willingly then that's what it fucking is. You can't say it's wrong. She wrote it. You may not like it but it is what it is. Find something better to do with your time because you're never going to win this. You are never going to convince anyone that her ideas are 'borrowed' or stolen from fan fiction or that Harry Potter and Star Wars are one and the same. I'm all for discussing your dislike or problems with certain books, as I had my own with seven, but don't pretend to know better than the author what's up.

Oh and just saw this, as for the person who said that someone tried to sue her over stealing the story. You've got that wrong. A coloring book creator tried to sue her because she said JK stole the names she gave her 'characters' from that book. And that was a crock of shit as is every other assertion that the story is stolen. As for the decline of the writing, I think you're confusing the words 'decline' and 'direction.' The plot moved in a different direction for each one but the writing style stayed the same.

"I really do hope she enjoys all of her millions because she is never going to sell another book ever again. Maybe this whole lawsuit buisness is her way of drumming up drama to keep her books popular."

What?! No, seriously. What?! Yeah, she'll never sell another book again, maybe to you. Do you have any idea how many people would line up at midnight to buy it? No, that's never happened with the sale of a book for christ's sake. Oh wait, yes it did. What series am I thinking of? I don't know, I lost it. As for 'keeping her books popular,' again, I say, what?! What, do you think in a few years they'll just be forgotten? No, they're nowhere near popular enough to become classics, no, they haven't drummed up more business for the book industry than any other in history. Ridiculous.

"I think she is getting a bit too greedy, now that no one is waiting for her next HP book, people don't go to her website anymore (she probably noticed the views are now extremely down since the release of the final book"

Yeah, greed's probably what motivated that, not her desire to keep her characters her characters. She's only richer than the Queen of England and all but you know, that green, you can never have enough. As for her website, do you honestly think she cares? There are still plenty of people visiting it, maybe not as many, but at the very least hundreds a day.

I don't mean to bash anyone or personally attack them. I am just heatedly stating my opinions on yours. No flames intended.

Edited by Tuftiperkys

"No flames intended." To quote you... are you fucking serious!!? "Screw the person who said they could write a better series" You just did bash us for our opinions. Are you fucking two? Seriously, we could've done without all the swearing and the ranting.

Oh, by the way, you should visit mugglenet, or whatever it's called. I was looking up Alan Rickman last night out of curiousity about something and found it. There is a listing for all of her mistakes from each book. I didn't read all of them, just the first book. There is a whole page of screwups for one book. And not just things that sounded far fetched... oh no... she contradicted herself. Umm... let's see what I can remember. She wrote that a snake blinked when snakes don't have eye lids. She wrote that the characters had Astronomy Wednesday nights at midninght, but wrote a scene where they were in the common room looking something up on a Wedensday at midninght. Hermione lent Harry a book 1000 herbs and something or other, and a few chapters later it was 100 herbs and something or other.

And I'm not saying that every author has to be perfect. One mistake here and there... ok. The woman is only human. The editors for the publishing company are only human. But that many? And she contradicted herself in the plot too.

Face the fact... If she were just a nobody posting her original stories on this site... she'd be bashed and or told to get a beta. The only reason you are defending her at all cupcake is that she is a famous and very rich person that got her books published. If she were a nobody I have a feeling you would be the first to break out the noose.

And seriously, if you're going to have a book published for the public to read it, shouldn't you hold yourself to a higher standard? Shouldn't you go over and over your plot, the small details, everything to make sure that there are no mistakes and no holes? I write on this site for free, and I do my best to make sure what I post is at least of reasonable quality. I take pride in my work.

As I've said before, I like her story idea, I just think it was poorly written. And she didn't give her characters a personality, she gave them several. Am I the only one who noticed that in the first book Hagrid was a sweet but bumbling idiot, that in the rest of the series magicaly became smarter?

So, in closing, if you have an opinion based on any other fact that she's rich, famous, or that she's sold a lot of books, I'd be happy to hear it.

Guest Tuftiperkys
"No flames intended." To quote you... are you fucking serious!!? "Screw the person who said they could write a better series" You just did bash us for our opinions. Are you fucking two? Seriously, we could've done without all the swearing and the ranting.

Oh, by the way, you should visit mugglenet, or whatever it's called. I was looking up Alan Rickman last night out of curiousity about something and found it. There is a listing for all of her mistakes from each book. I didn't read all of them, just the first book. There is a whole page of screwups for one book. And not just things that sounded far fetched... oh no... she contradicted herself. Umm... let's see what I can remember. She wrote that a snake blinked when snakes don't have eye lids. She wrote that the characters had Astronomy Wednesday nights at midninght, but wrote a scene where they were in the common room looking something up on a Wedensday at midninght. Hermione lent Harry a book 1000 herbs and something or other, and a few chapters later it was 100 herbs and something or other.

And I'm not saying that every author has to be perfect. One mistake here and there... ok. The woman is only human. The editors for the publishing company are only human. But that many? And she contradicted herself in the plot too.

Face the fact... If she were just a nobody posting her original stories on this site... she'd be bashed and or told to get a beta. The only reason you are defending her at all cupcake is that she is a famous and very rich person that got her books published. If she were a nobody I have a feeling you would be the first to break out the noose.

And seriously, if you're going to have a book published for the public to read it, shouldn't you hold yourself to a higher standard? Shouldn't you go over and over your plot, the small details, everything to make sure that there are no mistakes and no holes? I write on this site for free, and I do my best to make sure what I post is at least of reasonable quality. I take pride in my work.

As I've said before, I like her story idea, I just think it was poorly written. And she didn't give her characters a personality, she gave them several. Am I the only one who noticed that in the first book Hagrid was a sweet but bumbling idiot, that in the rest of the series magicaly became smarter?

So, in closing, if you have an opinion based on any other fact that she's rich, famous, or that she's sold a lot of books, I'd be happy to hear it.

You're probably right that I was too harsh and that the swearing was unnecessary but I have simply never heard her bashed so blatantly and her story thrown aside as utter amateur crap that is unworthy of the public eye. My opinion is not based on any of the factors you mentioned but rather the fact that I serve as a counselor for young children and it is extremely easy to get them to open up by mentioning Harry Potter which I think is an absolutely astounding thing.

Not to mention, I became a much more voracious reader thanks to her storyline. I used to hate reading and now it is one of my favorite past times. And yes, I have noticed many of those mistakes myself as I've read the series multitudes of times, for example, she changes the color of Mrs. Norris' fur within the first book from 'dusty' to 'black' and as Harry is sorted into his house, she says there were only two students left to be sorted and rattles off three names. (I'm remembering this off the top of my head, so if it's backwards, my fault). But they're harmless mistakes that don't affect the plot so I don't see the point in getting up in arms about them.

And no, I'm not two but my rant was immature and I retract my previous statement relating to the person who said they could write a better story. Although I stand behind the sentiment, the way it was relayed was childish and as I owe my much improved vernacular to JKR for getting me into literature, I should use it, eh?

As for the hypothesis that if she posted on this site, she would be told to get a beta, that I highly doubt. Provided it has gratuitous sex scenes people rarely say anything, from what I've seen anyway, and I could give examples but I don't think that's appropriate. There is far worse on this site that slips by without comment.

I'm sorry if I offended anyone but the woman has done quite a lot for me personally and many others and I was disheartened to see her attacked mercilessly without anyone in her corner. I apologize profusely as I didn't even realize how passionate I was about this subject. You are entitled to your opinions and I had no right to tear them down, only to offer my own. I've never been very good with this lesson, I'm usually only this bad with politics, but I am trying to learn it.

Now that you've calmed down, you make a much better argument. I can't speak for everyone else, but I'm not 'bashing' her exactly. I'm venting my frustratuions.

I can't deny the fact that her books have gotten a lot of kids interested in reading. Maybe that was her purpose in this lifetime... and yay for her. Somebody needed to do it.

But I, among many other people, are disappointed and disgusted with how she wrote the last book. I've been disappointed since book 5.

And I can't say whether or not she took anything from fan fics. What I do know is there was a lot of stuff in book 7 that I saw in fan fics that I've read. The ending with Harry being a horcrux and having to die, and the mirror things are the ones I remember at the moment. Maybe great minds think alike... Don't know... I don't have access to her mind. If I did... Harry wouldn't have tried to disarm the dark wizard that was trying to kill him.....! Yeah, that has to be thing I'm most disappointed in. *screams*

Guest Tuftiperkys
Now that you've calmed down, you make a much better argument. I can't speak for everyone else, but I'm not 'bashing' her exactly. I'm venting my frustratuions.

I can't deny the fact that her books have gotten a lot of kids interested in reading. Maybe that was her purpose in this lifetime... and yay for her. Somebody needed to do it.

But I, among many other people, are disappointed and disgusted with how she wrote the last book. I've been disappointed since book 5.

And I can't say whether or not she took anything from fan fics. What I do know is there was a lot of stuff in book 7 that I saw in fan fics that I've read. The ending with Harry being a horcrux and having to die, and the mirror things are the ones I remember at the moment. Maybe great minds think alike... Don't know... I don't have access to her mind. If I did... Harry wouldn't have tried to disarm the dark wizard that was trying to kill him.....! Yeah, that has to be thing I'm most disappointed in. *screams*

I certainly see your side of things and understand that everything she's written in the books really can't be taken at face value for the simply fact that if you did, contradictions would abound. Really from four and after I have problems but even so, it's some of the most interesting plot I've ever read even if it didn't go in the direction I wanted. Book seven was....not what I was expecting and slightly disappointing but still engaging. And you guys mentioned the camping trip from hell but after reading Eragon (where he spends like 300 pages in the desert) that was nothing, which is probably the only reason I wasn't more annoyed by it. But I can overlook all of it because in the end I fell in love with the characters and I owe a debt of gratitude to her but I suppose I have to admit that your arguments over the books have merit. As for the fan fiction, I think you could show me proof and I wouldn't believe it (Jo sitting at her computer with a fanfic open that was published before the last book came out, scribbling furiously). I'm just too stubborn on that subject.

Thanks for forgiving my earlier hotheadedness, it's clear that you are the more mature of the two us and I'm glad for that.

Althopugh I can't agree that she's a horrible writer the books do have several plot holes that make it diffcult to read and understand the series and made it personaally hard for me to continue to read her books after the fouth. The biggeest one is Harry's behavior and Tuftiperkys might agree with me since she is a consuelr, although Harry's abuse is not as extreme as other children's its still abuse and it would have had a big impact on the things that Harry does in the story. the main thing being Harry's trust in people necessarily adults my best friend was abused for much of her childhood and found it very diffcult to trust adults as harry should have given that his abuse had gone on for elven years and no one thought to call the police and trust me when it comes to things like that people notice even if they don't do much about it. However I don't believe that fanfic writers are better than JK because the majority of have a tendency to incorporate her plot holes into the books. And I would love to recieve help understanding several facts for example, the blood protecetion that Harry supposedly has should have been cancelled after Voldemort's resurection since tecehnically they shared the same blood. Also how exactly in a world with virtuserum does one lie in court, also Harry was taken to trail for using magic outside of school but no one seemed to notice that Sirus didn't recieve a trail at all.Yet when he escaped Dumbledore who wasn't there readily acceptst the fact of Sirus' innocence. And though I understand the concept that people are controlled by the media and the media is controlled by the government which is why no one believed Harry about voldemort's return shouldn't the dead body of a student at school have warranted questions also if Alaster Moody is such a good auror how was he ever over powered by Crouch not just once but through an entire book. Also about Harry's blood protection how come it didn't protecet him against thos he lived with.

Furthermore about other comments made it is very likely that she will write another book dealing with the Harry Potter Series and of course millions of people will line up at midnight to recieve a copy. We can only hope that in the next book she will clear up any plot holes like the ones I mentioned earlier. And I agree when it was stated earlier that the whole Dumbledore is gay thing was a fluke since given the plot holes and plenty evidencee from the books he comes off more as the maniplutive old many running things from behind the secnes while hiding under the veener of a kindly but eccentric grandfatehr. and lastly to Tuftiperkysnext time when you are talking to children that like the Harry Potter series please encourage them to read lord of the rings as it is truly a shame that not enough children read and Tolkien's triology will proably be interessted to them.

Guest Tuftiperkys
Althopugh I can't agree that she's a horrible writer the books do have several plot holes that make it diffcult to read and understand the series and made it personaally hard for me to continue to read her books after the fouth. The biggeest one is Harry's behavior and Tuftiperkys might agree with me since she is a consuelr, although Harry's abuse is not as extreme as other children's its still abuse and it would have had a big impact on the things that Harry does in the story. the main thing being Harry's trust in people necessarily adults my best friend was abused for much of her childhood and found it very diffcult to trust adults as harry should have given that his abuse had gone on for elven years and no one thought to call the police and trust me when it comes to things like that people notice even if they don't do much about it. However I don't believe that fanfic writers are better than JK because the majority of have a tendency to incorporate her plot holes into the books. And I would love to recieve help understanding several facts for example, the blood protecetion that Harry supposedly has should have been cancelled after Voldemort's resurection since tecehnically they shared the same blood. Also how exactly in a world with virtuserum does one lie in court, also Harry was taken to trail for using magic outside of school but no one seemed to notice that Sirus didn't recieve a trail at all.Yet when he escaped Dumbledore who wasn't there readily acceptst the fact of Sirus' innocence. And though I understand the concept that people are controlled by the media and the media is controlled by the government which is why no one believed Harry about voldemort's return shouldn't the dead body of a student at school have warranted questions also if Alaster Moody is such a good auror how was he ever over powered by Crouch not just once but through an entire book. Also about Harry's blood protection how come it didn't protecet him against thos he lived with.

Furthermore about other comments made it is very likely that she will write another book dealing with the Harry Potter Series and of course millions of people will line up at midnight to recieve a copy. We can only hope that in the next book she will clear up any plot holes like the ones I mentioned earlier. And I agree when it was stated earlier that the whole Dumbledore is gay thing was a fluke since given the plot holes and plenty evidencee from the books he comes off more as the maniplutive old many running things from behind the secnes while hiding under the veener of a kindly but eccentric grandfatehr. and lastly to Tuftiperkysnext time when you are talking to children that like the Harry Potter series please encourage them to read lord of the rings as it is truly a shame that not enough children read and Tolkien's triology will proably be interessted to them.

I don't think anyone but the writer of the series could answer all of your questions (good questions too!), and I would be surprised if even she could explain away all of them. I only disagree with the Dumbledore thing, I still believe it was not a clever ploy (I could be entirely wrong, but I'll stick to my guns nonetheless) as for the "manipulative old man running things from behind the scenes," that is the way she tried to cultivate him in the seventh book which, although it may have been there in some aspect, did not match up with her depiction of him in any of the previous books, which was one of my biggest problems with seven.

As for your recommendation to mention Tolkein, I think he would be too dense for the age group I work with. I, of course, already do it anyway for certain children that I think are able to grasp the concept, there are many series I recommend for children in foster care and orphanages and the like, as I read the books and thoroughly enjoyed them. I'm glad you agree that it's an appropriate series to offer as entertainment and there are many who have benefited from his work as well.

As for your comments on Harry's abuse, I don't disagree with you but I'll try to explain why it's helpful. The abuse as illustrated in JK's books is not meant to be well-described or delved into as it is a children's book but it is there and in most cases that's enough. The important point is that Harry gets to escape his abuse, even if only for a short period, but he comes back knowing he is stronger than his abusers. That something inside of him is special and that he has power and compassion, which does more for children in horrible situations than I can possibly say. There is one little girl who tells me every session that when she turns eleven she will be going to Hogwarts and be smarter than Hermione and then goes on to tell me all the strange, unexplainable occurrences that happen to her which makes her certain she's a witch, a powerful one at that too! Thanks for your comments and experiences, it's never a bad thing to gain more information on how best to help.

Hmmm... I am a bit dubious about it. I understand that she wants to protect her copyright. And she wasn't opposed to the Harry Potter lexicon online, but it was the encyclopedia they plan on publishing as a book that she opposes.

She also gave them the option first to make some alterations that would have protected her copyright and made it possible for them to print their version anyway, so she wouldn't sue them then, but they chose to not make those alterations.

Her own HP-encyclopedia isn't going to be published for her gain, but it is going to be a charity book like Quidditch throughout the ages and Fantastic beast... so I think she is also keeping those charities in mind. Although I personally think that the fans will probably have bought both the lexicon version and hers just the same.

I do hope that this lawsuit won't mean that the HP-lexicon will dissappear online now as well, since I often use it as a quick reference if I can't remember something by heart in my fanfic.

I also hate the fact that the lexicon lawyers are using the fact that JKR didn't oppose internet infringements of her copyright as an argument in their suit, since it could mean that all those fans out there. who just enjoy to play around with the world she created for no money at all, could become victims to this lawsuit as well.

I have to say if their is someone who deserves the term I want to make money of someone else's idea it is the owner of the site and the publishing company of the lexicon encyclopedia and not so much JKR, because let's be frank... if there is someone who will have enough to last her a lifetime... XD

Yeah, she probably stole her idea from a fan fiction. Are you fucking serious? Even if it were true that you 'found' this fan fiction, you're right, it's not at all likely that with the millions of fan fiction writers out there that someone might have landed upon the same name as JKR for an extraneous character. Give me a break.

Please continue to bash one of the best authors ever produced. So, you don't like her books and you don't think she's a particularly prolific writer, what the fuck ever, she inspired children to read! Do you have any idea the immensity of that accomplishment? As for the person who said Dumbledore isn't gay, are you blind? I told anyone who would listen to me after I finished the seventh book that Dumbledore had a boy crush on Grindelwald, it was painfully obvious, and then a few months later she confirmed it. Honestly, you were surprised? If you write slash or think like a slash writer, it was staring you in the face. And if you write fan fiction based on Harry Potter and you're bashing JK, what the fuck are you thinking? She wrote those characters, she made them what they are, she gave them sustenance and personality, she gave them widespread appeal, she's what made it possible for you to manipulate them for your own greedy desires.

Star Wars, Harry Potter, huge fan of both (My penname is Calrissian18 and I write Harry Potter fics) they're not the same. Not even close. Yeah, they have a good vs. evil plot but according to your logic, the Harry Potter series is comparable to Little Red Riding Hood. Screw the person who said they could write a better series. Yeah, I'm sure it would be just as original, involving, and well thought out. Great plan, can't wait to see you put that into action.

As for the supposed holes in the story, it's her fucking story, she can write whatever the hell she wants. If she says that when you disarm a person the wand is theirs unless given back willingly then that's what it fucking is. You can't say it's wrong. She wrote it. You may not like it but it is what it is. Find something better to do with your time because you're never going to win this. You are never going to convince anyone that her ideas are 'borrowed' or stolen from fan fiction or that Harry Potter and Star Wars are one and the same. I'm all for discussing your dislike or problems with certain books, as I had my own with seven, but don't pretend to know better than the author what's up.

Oh and just saw this, as for the person who said that someone tried to sue her over stealing the story. You've got that wrong. A coloring book creator tried to sue her because she said JK stole the names she gave her 'characters' from that book. And that was a crock of shit as is every other assertion that the story is stolen. As for the decline of the writing, I think you're confusing the words 'decline' and 'direction.' The plot moved in a different direction for each one but the writing style stayed the same.

"I really do hope she enjoys all of her millions because she is never going to sell another book ever again. Maybe this whole lawsuit buisness is her way of drumming up drama to keep her books popular."

What?! No, seriously. What?! Yeah, she'll never sell another book again, maybe to you. Do you have any idea how many people would line up at midnight to buy it? No, that's never happened with the sale of a book for christ's sake. Oh wait, yes it did. What series am I thinking of? I don't know, I lost it. As for 'keeping her books popular,' again, I say, what?! What, do you think in a few years they'll just be forgotten? No, they're nowhere near popular enough to become classics, no, they haven't drummed up more business for the book industry than any other in history. Ridiculous.

"I think she is getting a bit too greedy, now that no one is waiting for her next HP book, people don't go to her website anymore (she probably noticed the views are now extremely down since the release of the final book"

Yeah, greed's probably what motivated that, not her desire to keep her characters her characters. She's only richer than the Queen of England and all but you know, that green, you can never have enough. As for her website, do you honestly think she cares? There are still plenty of people visiting it, maybe not as many, but at the very least hundreds a day.

I don't mean to bash anyone or personally attack them. I am just heatedly stating my opinions on yours. No flames intended.

=_o; Chill out. *Shrug* 'The best books ever written' is also a matter of opinion. I never said I didn't like the stories, nor have I said anything to outright bash the author. I myself happen to be a fan of the series, no matter the flaws or the plot holes or whatever Dumbledore's sexuality happens to be. If I feel it could have been written better, that's just me. Cursing and raising a huge fuss just because people don't share your opinion over something isn't going to get you heard. And this, my friends, is not a flame. It's a fact.

Edited by Valtristus

Guest Tuftiperkys
=_o; Chill out. *Shrug* 'The best books ever written' is also a matter of opinion. I never said I didn't like the stories, nor have I said anything to outright bash the author. I myself happen to be a fan of the series, no matter the flaws or the plot holes or whatever Dumbledore's sexuality happens to be. If I feel it could have been written better, that's just me. Cursing and raising a huge fuss just because people don't share your opinion over something isn't going to get you heard. And this, my friends, is not a flame. It's a fact.

I have, thanks though.

• 3 weeks later...

Another article for anyone interested:

http://www.salon.com/wires/ap/entertainmen...ml?source=yahoo

According to her comments, it sounds like she's saying her problem isn't the encyclopedia being published but the fact that it isn't up to her standards. What I don't understand is, if it's based off of the website and the website was something she thought was good, why is it now not up to her standards?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.