Click Here!

Is/was There A Female Equivalent Of Chivalry?

foeofthelance

I was thinking about the concept of chivalry, its evolution from a set of guidelines for the battlefield to a general code of conduct, and its (apparent) current downfall. Yet I don't recall ever hearing of a female form...

I suppose the Amazons were, although their legend is garbled in the Greek version of their life.

The women are called "Amazon" because this word literally means "breast-less"

That is to say, in order to wield their weapon of choice (the bow) with more accuracy, they cut off their (usually) right breast in order to facilitate their movement.

Considering that I am one of their descendants (brag brag...) (also Scythian, and Cimmerian), I would hazard a guess that the Amazons were not a nation unto themselves, but availed their men in battle, which other nations would not allow their women folk. I am sure that the Greek legends were meant to be one of derision before they became so inflated.

Yes, Lucy Lawless' lovely lady lumps should technically have been asymmetrical.

(stupid Greeks)

(No offense to any modern Greeks)

I don't think that they had any (written) code except to keep marauders away from their land (the deltas of three major rivers) Truly the bread-basket of the world.

around the time of chivalry, all women really had to do was come from a good family, be pretty, virtuous, and be able to create a litter of brats. I don't think that that counts as chivalry, especially since women were really nothing more than slaves when you think about it. This is coming from a girl who has to study 'American Girls' in one of her classes and yes, it is scary how women were treated and, in some cases, still treated today. But, not to make you think I'm some sort of extreme feminists, I also think that it is unfair that young men were treated by their prospective bride's fathers as studs.

The closest i can imagine would be:

The rules of courtly love:

http://www.astro.umd.edu/~marshall/chivalry.html

(written mostly for a guy, but it takes two to tango...)

And lists of behaviors like those books from the 50's telling women how to be the most effective wives.

Be ready with a martini and a smile,

Have the kids clean and presentable.

Clean house, dinner ready, paper waiting.

All the stuff that made Phyllis Schlaffy all wet inside....

The closest i can imagine would be:

The rules of courtly love:

http://www.astro.umd.edu/~marshall/chivalry.html

(written mostly for a guy, but it takes two to tango...)

haha, saw this topic and courtly love actually came to mind. :(. One of the biggest proponents of it, historically, was Eleanor of Aquitaine

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.