Click Here!

Actual Birthdate Display In Profile

DemonGoddess

• 1 month later...

In the author-profiles beside the forum (fanfic-section) the actual birthday still is displayed.

I deleted my birthday in that section, because I read you can connect both accounts of the forum and the fanficwriting section, so you already have an official record of my real birthday. But not everyone also registers to the forum. And they would then need to display their birthdate publically, if they don't want their account removed, if I understood your announcement about the need to register your birthday correctly.

So, I wonder is this going to be changed to displaying the age only in that section too? Since that section is much more public than the forum and it is relatively easy for people to use your birthdate information for identity-theft or worse.

Thanks for your time,

Nerys

Edited by Nerys Dax

What I would suggest is that you just edit it to show the year, not the date. The programs are not linked in the user databases. They are two very separate programs, and the way the archive works, it's simply not possible to bridge the one program's member tables into the other. The link to your archive ID is actually a requirement to ensure that those who login to and use the forum, are already members in the archive. To have an archive login is, as you found upon registration, a requirement for approval in the administration validation queue. Yes, I do check the links. :P The reason behind all of that is that this forum is not what one would consider an open community, like other forums might be. This forum is for AFF users. There are portions of the forum which replace the now defunct Yahoo groups, among other things. Hope that all makes sense to you.

The other thing with the age in the forum? If your age is not properly entered into the database upon registration, you cannot access most of the forum. Anyone who registers without their proper birthday info entered in, will find they can ONLY access the guest accessible portions of the forum. Nothing else.

I will see what we can do about having an option to hide your birthday information in the archive as well. Considering the age of the script, I'm not entirely sure it's a possibility.

Okay, as long as it is alright to just show the year I am fine with that option too.

I was just a bit uncomfortable about publically placing the day and month too, since a friend of mine had a really bad experience with it. And it took her ages to prove she wasn't the person who used her personal info.

I mean whether it says your age or birthyear is pretty much the same thing, so that isn't such a big issue I think.

I'll go edit my profile their to that straight away.

Thanks for the info.

And it must be quite some work for you to check the links with every new user. (wipes forehead about not having to do that, because I am naturally born lazy. B) ).