Click Here!

Cuzo's Original Flash Fic Review Responses and Discussion

Cuzosu

pittwitch: I'm glad you liked that. It's certainly an intriguing and difficult challenge to weave bits and pieces (and prompts) into a full, coherent tale, so I'm relieved to hear that it's working so far. The ominous ending went about as I had intended, I think, and foreshadows things still far in the future. 'tis an evil plot that's developing, all twisty and yet with some strangely light-hearted surprises.

I've had mixed responses as to whether or not I should use parentheses instead of footnotes, but one in particular stuck out: in long chapters, readers probably won't want to scroll all the way down and then find their place all over again. So at the moment I'm keeping to parentheses and trying to keep the need for them to a minimum.

Thanks for the review!

I'm not fond of footnotes in fiction either. The parenthetical asides that I reference are as such:

Caimus had always been a bit on the wild side. (Maybe it was Jaden's influence, but it was hard to tell for sure.)

That would not be something to include in a footnote, at all. You are the author. The entire story is your voice as the narrator. There is no tangible need to set aside your narrative observations behind parentheses.

Personally, as a reader I find them highly distracting. I'm looking for a footnote or citation at that point, or worse, the direct address mid-story A/N from writer to reader i.e.:

(And we all know what a wild-child Jaden is!)

I will concede that it is a style choice.

Good job on using the prompt words, again!

Touche. Hm. I will think on that and see what comes of it.

Thanks; I certainly had fun playing with them! And 'hoarfrost' went quite well with the ominous hinting I was about to start into anyway, so.... ;) The tree, on the other hand, about started one hell of a row in my head. Between the Sire and Jewel, I wasn't sure I was going to get any peace and quiet, but I guess Jaden didn't really like it either, so most of that was avoided, if barely. 'Sleet' was just a brief note in passing, but I was feeling humorous and so the phrasing is deliberately perverted. ;)

BronxWench: Time is generally a problem. And may become more so, as I'm trying for over the road trucking. *waves goodbye to spare time* But I admit, I'm quite flattered that this little snippet has so intrigued you.

The tie-ins to the main story line are quite amusing, though some of them may not be explained for a few chapters, while others are already explained. The eyes, no, I'm not ready to explain them yet. ;) Let's call them the first hint of real trouble.

Natural and approachable, huh? Sweet. I like that description, though I can't say it was all intentional on my part. ;P

As to the prompt words, well, I blame the family games of word play. Although 'hoarfrost' really took over.... I was all set to just have fern patterns or some other trite and over-used frost pattern, and then I felt eyes watching me. *shrug* It tied in well enough with the main plot line, so I figured I'd just run with it. ;)

One of the things I love finding in a fiction is a world that is so well written that even in a small glimpse, it pulls me right in. Pittwitch pulls me right in like that, and so have you. It's delightful, because I love to escape into my reading.

Now I just need to stuff my family into closets, and then I can read. :D

:lol: Oh, that comment just makes me ever more happy that my family prefers to see each other in small doses! ^_^ 4-6 hours together, maybe, as a group larger than six people, and then when we get away, everyone goes, "Whew! Glad that's done with!"

Regardless of the family and time issues, I am very glad to get such an enthusiastic response from you. :D Thanks. And, when you do have the time, I hope you continue to enjoy it.

• 1 month later...

BronxWench:

This really is a marvelous world, and these glimpses are so deftly done. There's a great deal of skill that goes into being able to pull a reader into a world with only a mere thousand words at your disposal. I bow to your talent at doing just that.

*blushes, bows* Thank you, though I'm not sure I'm as happy with it as you are. (Maybe that's just a writer thing. Hm....) I was in a bit of a rush, trying to write this, and I've been on the road (and have a whole three days of break before I'm back on it again, so I can only hope I'll be back and writing more soon!), and it's been chaotic and miserable.

Tip for anyone who's interested in trucking for a living: get a school loan or financing of some sort and take the longer courses colleges/universities offer. Companies too often rush you through training. Colorado offers trucking school for a mere $3,000 tuition, the same as the companies do, and it lasts longer and is probably more thorough. I spent nearly a week and a half recovering from that brain-fried feeling that comes of constant cramming, and that's not fun.

Apart from that...I'm in Florida with my man, holed up in a hotel while our trainer takes a break, and I'm probably going to spend about half my time in the pool or in the room on the computer, so hopefully I'll get more written! ^_^

Still, at least the plot's been sorting itself out in my head a bit more, despite the chaos that my life has become.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.