Click Here!

Things That Annoy

nikkari

I have started this because there seems to be this thing going a around that I have named <i>I can't seem keep it to myself syndrome.</i> I have seen this several times and it annoys me to no end.

Now this occurs in more stories than I can count and as soon as I come across it... I'm done; the story is over. It could be the best story ever written and as soon as I see this; I don't even waste my time with it.

So I ask you this and see if you agree with me. <i>Do you like it when an author inputs little personal snip its in a story?</i>

For example:

As she looked up at him; he smiled at her. (Wouldn't we all want him to smile at us? Huh girls.)

I mean what's the point to doing that? I just don't get it and there is no real point to doing it. Or am I just being anal and am the only one who is just totally put off by this behavior?

Guest tireyzah

Explanations as to why the wrote the story/stories they way the did at the beginning or end are fine by me. Sometimes someone wants to try to acchieve something in their writing, and they use reviews for constructional criticism. That's fine, and reasonable, and perfectly logical.

But as far as needless commentary INSIDE the story itself, I agree that it ruins the tale and lowers my approval of it. It breaks the mood and the fluidity of the world they're writing about.

I get really annoyed when authors do this. It's juvenile, irksome and shows a great lack of expertise in writing. If the author has something to say, they can wait until the end of the chapter or talk about it at the beginning. I personally don't like it either when author's put notes at the bottom of the story--to me it disrupts the flow and ending feeling of a chapter. The best place I find to put notes is in the beginning of the chapter; the story has already been interrupted by the need to click the "next" link on the page and have a new page load. It seems logical to put a note there.

But in the middle of a story?

Just shut up and keep going with the story. Because to be honest, reader's don't give a shit what the author feels about that line; they're just in it for the story.

Those sorts of story-tellers ought to be spanked.

very soundly.

And then sternly talked to, then forced to read it out loud

then have the story read to them two years later.

Word. Reading an author's note within the text itself makes the story read more like an old radio drama with an announcer interrupting at a crucial point with an advertisement for Ovaltine, and I doubt that's the effect the author was trying to achieve. I want to immerse myself in what I'm reading and misplaced author's notes make it as shallow as a kiddie pool.

IMHO, author's notes are best kept brief and on-topic and at the beginning of the chapter.

Just shut up and keep going with the story. Because to be honest, reader's don't give a shit what the author feels about that line; they're just in it for the story.

:angry:

I agree. Don't put little asides in your prose. If there's something an author particularly likes about a chapter, it should be in their author's notes -beginning or end, I don't really care, just don't put it in the freakin' story. I read a story that had this in it one time and, as much as I tried to ignore it, it irritated me so much that I just gave up. I was sorely tempted to leave a review telling the author that it was annoying, but nothing I would have said would have been nice...

Okay so it isn't only me who finds this habit annoying. Now the question is why do writers feel the need to do such a stupid thing? I mean I just don't get it. It's like those authors that review their own stories just so it will seem like a lot of people are reading it when their not. That's another thing that gets my goat; but then again if I sit here and post everything that annoys me then I will sound like I'm bitching or have no life what-so-ever.

Can I just have the spanking and stern talking to? :P Please?

Yeah, Sugar get on you knees, while I pull out my whip, I can tell how much you want it! :)

Evil Cal :)

Edited by Calanthee

One theory I have is that they do it because they write like they talk. If you're giving an oral narrative, sometimes you add little things in -along with facial expressions- as you speak to embellish the story. This, really, is the only reason I can think for people writing like that. Unless they think it's cute, or funny...which it's really just not.

Well, it COULD be a style. I've seen works where the narration foreshadows, judges, apologizes, reminds the reader... But you have to do it from the very beginning, and you have to be consistent.

I think the movie 'Princess Bride' did a good job with it. When Columbo breaks from the tale to reassure the kid.

But it has to be part of the narration. Has to. And used through the story. If it's done once, it's jarring.

If it's in parentheses, in the manner of the OP, it's not the narrator, it's the author. And i tend to associate it with bragging. They're very pleased with a scene or a character and do one worse than a Mary Sue. They break the fourth wall that a story usually expends more than a little effort to create in the first place. it's not self-insertion but a walk-on.

But as far as needless commentary INSIDE the story itself, I agree that it ruins the tale and lowers my approval of it. It breaks the mood and the fluidity of the world they're writing about.

I so agree with you there. I actaully inform the author that her or his author's note in the middle this sentence really distracted me from the flow of the story and I didn't even want to read on any futher then that, thus is the reason for this review.

If they go back over the story and delete any in story author comments, I would reread the story and leave another review but for the most part, the author just deletes the review that I made and ignore the comment in the story itself.

Beth

• 4 weeks later...

I've run across a new one recently that really just chaps me. It's the insertion of an action between asterisks, like when a character coughs and the author puts *coughs* instead of So-and-so coughed. Why would you do that?!

I've run across a new one recently that really just chaps me. It's the insertion of an action between asterisks, like when a character coughs and the author puts *coughs* instead of So-and-so coughed. Why would you do that?!

Well my gut reaction is this, Cu...

1) They are a younger author and/or immature and are writing more in a RPG or teen diary style

2) They are used to writing in "cyber speak" "cyber IM/RPG" style...

This is why while all the (LOL, ROFL, AFK, BRB) and all the other text and computer slang is nice, it is still imperative if you ever want to be taken seriously you need to have a proper command of the language you are writing in...

Comic style and Manga are fine if you are drawing Manga or comics, but still one needs to actually READ stories, both modern day and some of the classic (whichever classics you like) to pick up how words flow together to make a fluid story.

People who write screenplays, scripts, journalism have a totally different way than how an author of a novel writes. If you go to your local bookstore and pick up a book from the literature section it won't have....

"And Ralf smiled at longingly at Susie (and don't we all like that girls?) then turned to her...

*cough* "What do you mean you like John instead?"

Just my humble opinion.

Warmly,

Kanashii

I have started this because there seems to be this thing going a around that I have named <i>I can't seem keep it to myself syndrome.</i> I have seen this several times and it annoys me to no end.

Now this occurs in more stories than I can count and as soon as I come across it... I'm done; the story is over. It could be the best story ever written and as soon as I see this; I don't even waste my time with it.

So I ask you this and see if you agree with me. <i>Do you like it when an author inputs little personal snip its in a story?</i>

For example:

As she looked up at him; he smiled at her. (Wouldn't we all want him to smile at us? Huh girls.)

I mean what's the point to doing that? I just don't get it and there is no real point to doing it. Or am I just being anal and am the only one who is just totally put off by this behavior?

Um.... what? Can you explain a little better?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Savaial

nikkari was trying to illustrate how author intrusion killed a story for her.

-Cloud couldn't remember the last time he'd had a drink. He stared at the glass, watching the blue of his eyes reflect off the perfectly polished surface. (Ooohh, CLoud's eyes!) The effevescent, clear, fizzing something, delivered by Reno of all people, made him suspicious. What did the Turk want from him, that he should be buying his drink? (Better watch out, Cloud!)

That kind of shit. And I agree. It sucks.