Click Here!

Vocabulary Turn-offs

DireAfterglow

For me, using 'God' during sex is acceptable. I'm an atheist and I use 'god damn' all the time. Saying 'oh God' or 'Jesus Christ' during emotional moments is simply an exclamation like 'oh, shit'. I doubt that excrement has nothing to do with the situation, but it's an acceptable phrase. It's like my sister's constant use of 'holy fudge'. I know that heavenly chocolate has nothing to do with her stubbing her toe, it's just how she expresses herself.

Yeah, I agree with this statement. One close friend claims she uses it a lot because she's always picking guys up at bars when drunk and quite unable to recall their names, making the good lord an acceptably blasphemous call upon for that moment of drunken passion - on those occasions when the guys don't just go limp and pass out.

From my own experience it's possibly not always 'god' phoenetically as "Aowar Gorraeddd!"

This being the case, having characters shout it is much like having one of them fall asleep right afterwards while the other sits on a toilet and uses wads of tissue to wipe up - just one of those things that seems to happen a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

has anyone ever used the word "raging erection"?

• 3 weeks later...

I hate so many of the stupid words used for penis.

Meat-stick

Pole

Member (I dunno why, but it just makes me cringe.)

Manhood

As for other words...

Jizz

Jizzm/Jizzim/Jizzum/etc

Mound(s)

Cunt

Twat

Folds

Love-button

And I've only just recently been able to handle "prostate". I still get a little weirded out by it at first, but I can calm myself down pretty quick now.

I'm sick of seeing the word "shaft". And why do alot of authers (published and online alike) sometimes make every little thing people do to eachother sound like the most amazing thing in the world? Some would aparantly have us believe you can make someone orgasm just from a kiss. Personally the transfering of saliva doesn't do it for me.

Sex is 1/10 physical, 9/10 psychological, some can go absolutely crazy for one thing, and some another, though it's the same stimulation. My cousin has the same problem with kissing and when his husband plays with his nipples. Obviously, he's a guy, so he's not as sensitive as a girl, but according to him, his imagination plays a bigger role in sex than his nerves do.

I'm sick of seeing the word "shaft". And why do alot of authers (published and online alike) sometimes make every little thing people do to eachother sound like the most amazing thing in the world? Some would aparantly have us believe you can make someone orgasm just from a kiss. Personally the transfering of saliva doesn't do it for me.

Dear Taziekins, depends on who's doing the kissing and where the kiss is actually put!

Stop doing the superior dance... Yo, one would think you don't like sex. And if you write or read on Aff we know that's not true... now don't we? Perhaps you perfer things just a bit more kinky than normal is that it???

Nothing is wrong with Shaft and a extended Shaft covered with saliva is even better It's better than seeing cock till it comes out your ears. Sex is amazing, especially when there is so many varied ways to do it...who wants a unexciting and boring sex scene, why bother to write it, read it or do it!

The Lovely Cal :P

Dear Taziekins, depends on who's doing the kissing and where the kiss is actually put!

Stop doing the superior dance... Yo, one would think you don't like sex. And if you write or read on Aff we know that's not true... now don't we? Perhaps you perfer things just a bit more kinky than normal is that it???

Nothing is wrong with Shaft and a extended Shaft covered with saliva is even better It's better than seeing cock till it comes out your ears. Sex is amazing, especially when there is so many varied ways to do it...who wants a unexciting and boring sex scene, why bother to write it, read it or do it!

The Lovely Cal :P

I was only answering the question, as in that word does seem to get overused a bit - granted, not as much as others. It's jsut one of a few words in particular that make me hesitate in the middle of an otherwise nicely flowing piece of writing.

I'm not arguing the good or bad aspects of sex in general, I'm just saying I find it hard to believe that people can always have out of this world mind blowing sex first time they do it with someone, and I don't mean that in the virginal sense either! No amount of experience can make it so you know exactly what gets someone without having learned their body firsthand, and most people have at least a little aukwardness where for example: something intended as nice feeling just plain tickles. Apologies to anyone who disagrees, but I speak from personal experience, not any kind of imagined superiority complex. I put myself down too much to have an ego :P

And as far as the kiny comment goes, I'm novice there and I have surprised myself a few times lately.

Edited by taziekins

Guest Savaial

Time to bust out the old adage! Kinky is using a feather, but perverted is using the whole chicken.

I think my biggest vocabulary turn off is "fun bags" for breasts. It's just the worst, to me. Second runner up is "woman maker".

Note to men- Breasts are not bags and your genetalia doesn't make a girl into a woman.

Reminds me of a circular argument I've been having with my mother on-and-off for years now:

Mother: I'm too young to be made a Granny, don't you ever have kids!

Me: Well my body's been saying otherwise since I was twelve!

(Not that it ever entered my mind to tell her I had no intention of running out and getting pregnant as soon as physically possible. Parents just don't give kids the credit for the comman sense they were born with these days.)

While I'm here, I know it's probably in the wrong section, but could someone possibly give my "Damphire" fic a check over, and maybe suggest a few vocab/writing tips? Like I said, I'm my own worst critic and left to my own devices I'll never be happy with anything I write :P

Guest Savaial

I'll look at it for you, if you like. Email me @ blackmasamune at aim dot com

There is a beta soliciting section on this forum, so if you want more than just me, I suggest you cruise over there and hike your skirt up to show leg. Some people love beta work.

I was only answering the question, as in that word does seem to get overused a bit - granted, not as much as others. It's jsut one of a few words in particular that make me hesitate in the middle of an otherwise nicely flowing piece of writing.

I'm not arguing the good or bad aspects of sex in general, I'm just saying I find it hard to believe that people can always have out of this world mind blowing sex first time they do it with someone, and I don't mean that in the virginal sense either! No amount of experience can make it so you know exactly what gets someone without having learned their body firsthand, and most people have at least a little aukwardness where for example: something intended as nice feeling just plain tickles. Apologies to anyone who disagrees, but I speak from personal experience, not any kind of imagined superiority complex. I put myself down too much to have an ego :P

And as far as the kiny comment goes, I'm novice there and I have surprised myself a few times lately.

Taziekin, my comments were not ment to be insulting about the superiority thing, bad Cal was just trying to be funny... that and the fact I catch myself using the word "shaft" alot in my stories.

I appologise... for giving you the shaft, so to speak, especially if I hurt your feelings.

Sincerely, Calanthee

Taziekin, my comments were not ment to be insulting about the superiority thing, bad Cal was just trying to be funny... that and the fact I catch myself using the word "shaft" alot in my stories.

I appologise... for giving you the shaft, so to speak, especially if I hurt your feelings.

Sincerely, Calanthee

Hey don't worry about it, I should know better than to be so defensive by now.

I think the main reason it bothers me is because in a lot of the instances where I see it used, it breaks up an otherwise nicely flowing paragraph, and then I'm left thinking, "It's not made of wood literally right? yeouch!"

I think the best way to explain this little quirk of mine is, to say that I'm just a walking contradiction; I can be crude,dirty, kinky, whatever you want to call it in person, but for some reason my writing just doesn't quite follow through so to speak.

One example being back when I used to ship a particular anime pairing, I got to the point of writing a full on intercourse scene and then veered off literally at the last second into something completely opposite, and then never completed the follow up chapter. *shrug* I'm my own worst enemy I think.

I agree with alot of the words people said they don't like, but...what words are you supposed to use instead? That is always the hardest thing for me when I'm writing smut. I don't want to get repetitive but I don't want to use tastless words either. Maybe there should be a list of words you LIKE to hear!

I must be very lenient when it comes to what makes me leave a story. I am guilty to using shaft in my story and other words. I believe the word choice that a user choices can influence the mood of the story. For a softer scene and/or story setting, I would use softer sounding words.

The fan fictions I write deal with a harsher world, set in the Dark Ages. Racism, Torture, ect ran rampant. In my sex scenes, it tends to be raw and violent. So I use words like: pussy, cock to give my readers the feel of those times. I will admit I do favor the term breast over boobs through. I do not use cunt/prick unless I have a rube character who uses such language. They are never used as descriptors.

There is one thing that causes me to skip sex scenes or hit the back button. Repeative words. There are so many times I can read the word pussy, cock before the scene becomes boring to me.

I must be very lenient when it comes to what makes me leave a story. I am guilty to using shaft in my story and other words. I believe the word choice that a user choices can influence the mood of the story. For a softer scene and/or story setting, I would use softer sounding words.

The fan fictions I write deal with a harsher world, set in the Dark Ages. Racism, Torture, ect ran rampant. In my sex scenes, it tends to be raw and violent. So I use words like: pussy, cock to give my readers the feel of those times. I will admit I do favor the term breast over boobs through. I do not use cunt/prick unless I have a rube character who uses such language. They are never used as descriptors.

There is one thing that causes me to skip sex scenes or hit the back button. Repeative words. There are so many times I can read the word pussy, cock before the scene becomes boring to me.

I hate repetitive words too! and I get so mad at myself when my stories end up like that, but it's hard to come up with different words to use while avoiding the nasty ones.

• 2 weeks later...

I tend to be repetitive with descriptive words, it's yet another failing of mine that I cling to "brunette" or "blonde" despite there being a million different ways to describe those hair colours. Just an example there.

Words I like to read..... oooh boy.....erm, "caress" (if that's even spelled right). I'll edit if I think of more, I just like that word for some reason. *shrugs*

Edited by taziekins

• 4 weeks later...

Oh Crap! I must email Larry Flint and tell him that EVERY SINGLE sex story he publishes in his magazine SUCKS because his author's use all of those 'turn off' words!!

He and the minions of men and women who jack off/masturbate to those smutty tales must be educated!! They CAN'T be turned on by 'she impaled herself on his throbbing manhood'!! They just can't! There's too many 'turn off' words in it!!! ...LOL..

Yes, I'll still use them. If it's good enough for Hustler's authors to publish - then it's good enough for me! :throwup:

Oh Crap! I must email Larry Flint and tell him that EVERY SINGLE sex story he publishes in his magazine SUCKS because his author's use all of those 'turn off' words!!

He and the minions of men and women who jack off/masturbate to those smutty tales must be educated!! They CAN'T be turned on by 'she impaled herself on his throbbing manhood'!! They just can't! There's too many 'turn off' words in it!!! ...LOL..

Yes, I'll still use them. If it's good enough for Hustler's authors to publish - then it's good enough for me! :throwup:

you don't say XD

I think there is no word that can be counted on to be a automative turn-off. More often than not bad writing is the culprit. It's the sum of the parts that gets my attention. If the premise is good, the sex scene makes sense and I'm pitching a tent in my pants, then the Author probably did something right.

Them critics have got NOTHING on Larry Flint

I think there is no word that can be counted on to be a automative turn-off. More often than not bad writing is the culprit. It's the sum of the parts that gets my attention. If the premise is good, the sex scene makes sense and I'm pitching a tent in my pants, then the Author probably did something right.

Yep, couldn't agree more.

And I have to say, I laughed when I saw the original poster's list and noticed that he put both "pussy" and "vagina". Seriously, if you can't stand anything that isn't M/M, just say so!

I laughed even harder when I browsed over the rest of the posts. I bet that if you put together all these lists into one big list, you'd have every single word that has ever been used in a sexual context.

Yep, couldn't agree more.

And I have to say, I laughed when I saw the original poster's list and noticed that he put both "pussy" and "vagina". Seriously, if you can't stand anything that isn't M/M, just say so!

Maybe I'm too terribly opened minded? I'm a straight chic - but heck, if it's well written I can get turned on by M/M, M/F, F/F.. And a multitude of other smutty ideas...And write them all as well..

Or maybe my husband's just lucky to find a woman that thinks of sex as often as he does? **snicker**