Click Here!

Gettin' Too Old For This Shit...

No offense to you 20ish year olds out there, but most of the ones I've encountered here lately have NO concept of what it means to work. :D

My boss just fired my thirds replacement (3rd one in six months) because she thinks it's okay to sit and do NOTHING, and NOT do her job. She's the second like this since August, with no work ethic whatsoever.

You know the general idea....get hired, do the job you're trained to do, get paid....

It's NOT---get hired, sit on yer ass, DO NOTHING.

So, here we are, looking for a suitable replacement for my off days AGAIN. Which means I get to work lotta hours AGAIN. Hopefully this time, the person he hires is worth something, and able to do something than just occupying space and wasting oxygen.

Worked 12 hours yesterday, am on schedule for 50 for the upcoming week...

I'm TIRED

Yeah, I know how you feel and understand! D< Though I am 20 myself, I'm not like that whatsoever. I'm currently out of a job because my boss fired me for having medical problems, like its my fucking fault my body is sick and that I'm in pain all lthe freaking time! I just had surgery, so hopefully that will all go away and I can get a job and work. I GOT BILLS TO PAY! I mean, I was even fired from T.G.I.Friday's for being too friendly! Yeah... that's their excuse for firing me, and NO I was not being THAT kind of friendly if that's what your thinking... >_<;

I can't stand people who are young and take everything for granted and get jobs and use the money to waste it on shit they don't need while people like me and others who HAVE a life needs the money to pay bills and food and for raising their family. It frustrates me that stupid asses like these managers hire stupid kids with no lives and don't understand the concept of RESPONSIBILITY and MATURITY!!!! D< And I also get angry when I'm at work and there is no team work in the job and I end up doing all the work and then some with other peoples jobs THEY are suppose to do!

So I feel you and I'm right there with you on that DemonGoddess061. Makes me want to gut the lazy asses and copy their bloody heart so I can post it up on the work board for everyone in the office to see as a warnign for those who don't do their fucking job!

*gives DemonGoddess a big hug*? I may be young, but I can still empithize. I've learned a lot since I've been out on my own. My bf and I work hard and struggle for everything we have. My bf works his ass off and does everything he can to not give his boss any excuse to fire him.

But a female friend of mine I've known since high school is like those lazy fucks you're talking about. She got fired from her first job for not showing up because she met some guy and was practically living with him. She would spend most of her paycheck at the bar because she lived with her parents and had no bills to pay. She got another job and would swear and talk about her sexlife in front of the customers... and didn't get fired. That job she quit for a better one. When she needed a car someone gave her one for free. I don't like badmouthing my friends but... we wanna strangle her! She has no real responsibility and everything just seems to get handed to her.

I can't complain too much. My mom does help us out quite a bit when we need it. But we don't go out to the bar, we don't go shopping for clothes, we don't spend money like it's water. We pay our bills and we're just barely holding our heads above water. She falls in a pile of shit and comes out smelling like a rose. It just doesn't seem fair does it?

You actually point to why that is, you know. No work ethic to speak of. Parents giving their kids everything, bailing 'em out whenever, and NOT making them earn things, or face the consequences of their own actions.

After all, why work when mommy and daddy will support me no questions asked? :rolleyes:

I'm in my twenties, but I have serious problems with people who don't want to work as hard as I do (and, really, my job just isn't that hard...usually), or do stupid shit while they're at work. I kinda got a girl fired because she decided to leave work (while on the clock!) to go over to the private terminal because a local college basketball player at the time was coming in, and she just had to see him. :( When I came in, everything was just chaos (she still hadn't come back by the time I got there).

I kinda felt bad about telling my boss that it happened, because I just knew it was going to turn into this third grade thing where the girl would accuse me of "telling on her." And sure enough...

But it just made me furious. After she was...let go...I had to work 50-60 hour weeks, or work nine days straight -but I was more than happy to do it. That kind of behavior just frustrates me.

I mean, I was even fired from T.G.I.Friday's for being too friendly!

:huh: How do you get fired for being too friendly? I hope you collected unemployment for that, because I'm pretty sure that's not a valid reason to fire someone. Also, I thought employers couldn't let you go for being sick...

*gives DemonGoddess a big hug*? I may be young, but I can still empithize. I've learned a lot since I've been out on my own. My bf and I work hard and struggle for everything we have. My bf works his ass off and does everything he can to not give his boss any excuse to fire him.

But a female friend of mine I've known since high school is like those lazy fucks you're talking about. She got fired from her first job for not showing up because she met some guy and was practically living with him. She would spend most of her paycheck at the bar because she lived with her parents and had no bills to pay. She got another job and would swear and talk about her sexlife in front of the customers... and didn't get fired. That job she quit for a better one. When she needed a car someone gave her one for free. I don't like badmouthing my friends but... we wanna strangle her! She has no real responsibility and everything just seems to get handed to her.

I can't complain too much. My mom does help us out quite a bit when we need it. But we don't go out to the bar, we don't go shopping for clothes, we don't spend money like it's water. We pay our bills and we're just barely holding our heads above water. She falls in a pile of shit and comes out smelling like a rose. It just doesn't seem fair does it?

Yeah I know how you feel and I can relate. It isn't fair! >.< My sister has it going for her and is living a free and fun life when I'm on the side of the road beaten and raped... sort of speak... >.>;

But as they say, Life isn't Fair! And whats good for us is that we come out stronger, while the others who have things handed to them on a silver-platter, when shit will happen to them, they will CRASH and BURN and not know how to go about it, we will know how to and over come it. I think of it that way. ^^ We will be blessed for our misfortunes and they will get theres! X3

:( How do you get fired for being too friendly? I hope you collected unemployment for that, because I'm pretty sure that's not a valid reason to fire someone. Also, I thought employers couldn't let you go for being sick...
Actually, in the state of Indiana, any employer can fire you for any reason no matter what! (Pisses me off and is why I am trying to move out of Indiana! >.< ) Its the same for my last employer for firing me for being sick, they have the right to do so, its in the law in Indiana, as long as they do not fire me because of my race, religion, or gender; they can fire me for any other reason or without giving a reason. And no, I could not collect unemployment for that, this is why I HATE Indiana!!! D<

Yep.... one of the few things that keeps me going is that she'll eventually fall in a pile of shit and won't get back out. Her mommy and daddy aren't going to live forever. Her and her brothers don't know how to take care ofthemselves. They've never had to hold down a full time job to support themselves. They just all live at home and smoke weed all day.

I know that when they're parents are gone they're going to up shit creek without a paddle. I might be screwed when my mom is gone, but I'll have a better chance at digging myself out. I just won't have a safety net anymore, which is scarry but there's nothing I can do about it. I at least have some experience in taking care of myself.

Hey, what about us young'uns who have to deal with asshole older coworkers/bosses?

P (60+)- I can't pull my laptop without him going, "Foe is looking at the naked ladies!" And it is ALL he says.

N (33+)- Bad enough she runs around telling everyone that I'm either hitting on her or hitting her. No, she also happens to think she's a MILF, which, trust me, she is not. Kind of the opposite, really. Bad enough even the customers her age comment on it. Then there's the fact that she's always trying cop a feel or asking for details of what me and my girlfriend got into over the weekend. Work? What work? I've got to spend all of my time covering for her, because if something goes wrong her customers can't find her because she's outback smoking a cigarette!

V (40+)- Not that bad actually, save for the fact he acts like he's sixteen. Fault of anyuresm a while back. I treat him like a younger kid brother, and it all works out ok.

And it goes on and on. I could probably fill a rant on N alone. So to all the old foggies who think the younger generation doesn't have a work ethic...:think: You guys are just as bad!

Man... you guys seem to be having the opposite problem than I do. Well, at least in the job aspect. I can't seem to find one! And all of the other jobs I had either went out of business or they just scheduled me for around 3 hours a month. I'm really desperate to get a job with lots of hours because I'm attending a really expensive private college this fall and even though my parents are helping out, the financial aspect is a real killer. It's an awesome literary college, though, and also has a good art program (the two subjects I'm majoring in).

I did have a job lined up at a coffee shop, but the jerked me around for a month and a half before telling me they didn't need any more employees. That was aggravating.

Hopefully I'll get a job at a local golf course where I can beer cart and bartend. Otherwise... I'm SOL.

Well, I'll tell ya. The problem with this last one was that she did NOTHING. Thought she should get paid to sit on a stool and talk on her cell. Third shift is the shift that does all the cleanup work. So, you can imagine what it would be like to come in and find that not only had she not done anything (this would be after 4 days off the shift), but that first shift (which is VERY busy) had to at least do the basic sanitation that was not touched the night before.

foe, as to your boss who is behaving inappropriately, in front of WITNESSES no less, I say that you need to do something about that. I don't give a damn what sex the other party is, harassment is harassment, and illegal in the workplace. YOU don't need to tolerate that shit.

No, this lack of work ethic is certainly not restricted to younger ones than me....but I can tell you from observation is it prevalent among that age group, more so than older age groups.

foe, as to your boss who is behaving inappropriately, in front of WITNESSES no less, I say that you need to do something about that. I don't give a damn what sex the other party is, harassment is harassment, and illegal in the workplace. YOU don't need to tolerate that shit.

Well, to be fair, she's learned that she needs to be careful, as if she crosses a line I will get back, normally with the toe of one of my boots. If pressed, the bosses will just go, "What kick?" As do the customers, my family, her kids...

you're much kinder about it than I would ever be.

Nah, I doubt it. I'm a Boy Scout with plenty of mileage of heavy backpacking under my belt, walk rahter than drive, and wear thinck, heavy boots. And I dont pull my kicks.

Guest Savaial

I blame the 80's. The teens of the 80's are the parents of the people who won't work. Gross generalizing I know, but seriously. The me-me-meeee generation produced a lot of this mess. And, we have no personal accountability anymore. You get dog bitten while tresspassing and you sue the dog owner. You don't go get a shot and consider you shouldn't have been tresspassing. With that kind of attitude you ruin everything you attempt.

"I shouldn't have to work."

Even at 25, I can totally empathise.

When i was looking for work years ago, i firmly believe it took a long time because while I was slaving away at part time jobs and volunteering to develop skills and a CV alongside actual jobseeking, there was;

1/ Effwits in the jobcentre who would come in, sign, then say "I havent bothered looking for work, can you gimme my money today", and get away with it. The Government claims to keep an eye, but they continually harrassed me for proof I was looking for work. Luckily I was always able to provide exactly that, even got proof that I'd turned up for interviews etc, but it always annoyed me that chavite workshy slobs were getting away with it.

This just gives people my age a bad image, many employers I interviewed with (mostly for junior admin jobs) gave age as a secondary reason and only took me seriously when I started doing crappy agency work.

2/ Friends who would mock me for not being able to find a job, despite the fact that they'd never looked for a job in their lives and had well-paying jobs purely through Nepotism (one dad I know gave his son who couldn't even be bothered to climb out of bed on signing day a job in his factory and a car when he got his driving licence, mine demanded rent out of the money I didn't have while claiming).

Even in my current job, there are people who don't pull their weight and it's not age exclusive (although the action taken seems to be). The one in my team with the constant lowest productivity is over 50, which seems to be the reason nothing is done where a younger guy who did more work (still not much, but more) was actually fired.

I personally have a strong work ethic, which is the reason in the two years I've been there I've been given 2 pay rises, a promotion and been recommended for jobs within another department. I don't expect everyone to do all that, but there is a line of pulling weight or being lazy, and some people cross it far too often.

Edited by Tindog

I worked as a stocker at a local Target store for a while and there was this 20 year-old kid who was constantly having to be paged over the intercom because he was constantly MIA when he should have been working and when he was around he endeavored to do as little as humanly possible while simultaneously running his mouth without stop. The supervisor did nothing to him but bitched at us for the slightest thing. I got into trouble once when she asked me where he was and I replied "Somewhere with his thumb up his ass like usual."

I experienced the same thing when I worked a seasonal job. This 19 year old boy kept disappearing for long periods during shift, left all the work to his partner when assigned to work with another crew member, and was constantly calling in sick. Later, after he pulled a no-call no-show and got sacked I found out from one of my co-workers that he was calling in so he could stay home and play x-box! WTF? and worst of all the management,in their infinite lack of wisdom, were going to keep his lazy arse on after the Hols, and let the older, conscientious workers go. :blink:

I worked as a stocker at a local Target store for a while and there was this 20 year-old kid who was constantly having to be paged over the intercom because he was constantly MIA when he should have been working and when he was around he endeavored to do as little as humanly possible while simultaneously running his mouth without stop. The supervisor did nothing to him but bitched at us for the slightest thing. I got into trouble once when she asked me where he was and I replied "Somewhere with his thumb up his ass like usual."

I experienced the same thing when I worked a seasonal job. This 19 year old boy kept disappearing for long periods during shift, left all the work to his partner when assigned to work with another crew member, and was constantly calling in sick. Later, after he pulled a no-call no-show and got sacked I found out from one of my co-workers that he was calling in so he could stay home and play x-box! WTF? and worst of all the management,in their infinite lack of wisdom, were going to keep his lazy arse on after the Hols, and let the older, conscientious workers go. :D

That kind of shit happens entirely too much. When I was in a supervisory position (did that for a long time), BECAUSE of my work ethic, I found I was intolerant of laziness, and sloughing things off on the other person because that other person would not only do their job, but the lazy one's job as well if necessary. I fired people like that. Never expected anyone to work in the same manner that I do, but jeez, you're paid to work. Not sit with your thumb up your ass and a phone glued to your ear. At the very least, do what your job requires of you, ya know? I do understand and realize most people won't go out of their way to do that extra little bit. I do it because if I don't keep busy, I get bored.

so....now it's Monday part three for me tonight.....ugh