Click Here!

Some Slight Questions/rants

sunnylewis

Alright, so I've been writing fanfiction for nearly 6 years, posting for about 4 of those and reading fanfiction of all kinds for about 9. A while ago I got a review that made me sit there an wonder about it. Its from my Twisting the Hellmouth account (tth.com) about my story A Different Life (Link) which is still in progress, so there are still a lot of things that are open to thoughts and questions and will eventually be answered.

Now, the review said:

I'm a curious reader and don't mind trying Buffy-verse fics that cross with fandoms I am unfamiliar with; however, it would be helpful if you could provide a link to more information about the crossover in the first chapter - or at least identify what form of media "Bleach" is so as to facilitate a Google search.

The use of four different symbol combinations to identify sections is exceedingly confusing and needlessly intricate. If you look at published fiction you can see that such things are very simply indicated. Why not have journal entries identified as such with a text header, and perhaps put that section in all italic? As for changing character point of view, either the narrative itself should indicate these changes or the section divider should be simple symbols that incorporate the character name.

The song lyrics should be in italics, again, a simple format problem.

The first chapter brings up some interesting items, but has a few issues with clarity. The bit with Angel & Angelus seems to contradict itself; a simple change in sentence order would fix that. Also, the journal entry mentions: I don’t think they know what my relationship with Ichigo is. Who are they? Also, it sounds like Ichigo is in Sunnydale, but again, it is unclear.

Now, my betas (yes, betas. Two to be precise) tell me that my story is fine so far and doesn't need any major editing done nor does it have any major problems, much like this is telling me. At the time of this review, I didn't know how to use the codes to format, so I'm not to worried about that, but the rest, its like this person just skimmed through and ranted at me for imagined problems.

How do you deal with such people and their rants?

Alright, one more thing and then I'm done for now.

Authors notes: waste of space or are people actually reading them? I know I do. I've come to learn that sometimes, you need to read them for certain reasons, including in finding out what is to happen to the story, or the reasons why the story has taken so long to be updated, ect.

But, I can't help but wonder why people skip over the shorter ones. I know that sometimes writers rant and rave about things that aren't that important, but some writers actually have something to say. I know I do, when I'm not apologizing for not updating in 2 months that is.... :lol:

But, how do I deal with people when they ask me the same thing that I covered in an authors note? Should I be rude and not answer them? Or should I tell them to read my authors note? I'm so confused because I keep getting mixed answers.

Thank you for your time in reading and answering.

About Author's Notes: I read them, but I find them terribly annoying. Especially if they're in the middle of the writing or at the end of each chapter. They're just an interruption to the flow and often times stupid nonsense I don't even care about. Just stupid messages for "fans" or frequent readers that might as well be said in an e-mail or on an instant messenger. I also dislike them because plenty of authors dish out the rought tough "I write the way I want so fuck off if you don't like it" type things, and I'm a firm believe of if you don't want negative reactions to your writing, don't publish it on the internet.

About the comment: Well, I can't be bothered to read it and see if she actually mentioned stuff that needs to be fixed, but if you feel it's imagined then just ignore it.

I've had this one person that's really hard to please on my fic too...

Yours sounds to actualy want to help you out and give a real critic, though some of it seems a little trivial... I donno how you should respond to it, but do be nice about since they took the time to actaully review... and be sure not to take their words to heart oo much on the negative side... Focusing on the negatives realy mess up your writing flow... I know it has for me...

I've never been a HUGE fan of A/N but recently I've grown to respect them. I personally respond to al my reviewers to let them know that I appreciate the time they took to read and review. Whenever I've commented I'll get really upset that no one cared to even say thank you, it's like the writer is ignoring me or something... You know?

Now my A/N is getting a bit long, specialy for my last chapter, but I'm not going to take it off... And I know it can mess up the flow of the story, but that's why I put ~End Chapter~ at the end of the chapter with a few returns after to give the A/N it's own area away from the actual story...

I hope that helped you out some!

Much Love,

Becca

I do appreciate reviews where readers have taken the time to offer constructive criticism, but I think you could be right -- it looks like your reviewer really started to get nitpicky. At the end of the day, it's your story and if you feel confident in the way that it's written, I wouldn't change a thing. I once had a reviewer make a big deal about how she didn't know what my main character looked like, which was utterly ridiculous, as I had dropped extensive descriptors throughout each chapter, so sometimes it's just that people don't always read things close enough. In my case, I offered a general response in the next AN, which I like to use here and there just to acknowledge the people who have reviewed, to provide a short prelude to the chapter, and to answer any questions that people may have.... until AFF has a way for me to respond to individual reviews, that's the best tool I have, especially since not everyone uses the forum. But yeah -- I think the bottom line is to take that review/rant with a grain of salt and to know that you know your story best.

For the review, I would say that, while the person does seem to be a bit overly critical about how your story is/was formated, it seems that the real problem stems from the reader not having any knowledge of the fandom you've crossed over into. However, the review was well-worded and, for the most part, polite. I think that, if you are to respond to it, you should respond in kind -try not to take the criticism to heart, it sounds like they're really just trying to help you out.

I'm a firm believer in A/N's just because I think it's a good way (really the only way here on AFF) to communicate with your readers. I respond to my reviews at the end of chapters. I feel that it makes the readers feel like I'm actually taking into account what they're saying. And I read other people's author's notes, too, even if they are just drivel -unless it's one of those, like RikuDrak said, telling the readers that they're going to write however they wanna :)

How would i respond? Two ways, including the first response, which i've learned not to share with others. Andwhat i might write.

I'm a curious reader and don't mind trying Buffy-verse fics that cross with fandoms I am unfamiliar with;

Internal dialog: Well, they're polite. But strangely judgmental, esp. for the first sentence?

External dialog: Zip (What the reviewer does and doesn't mind is not my problem, really. I wouldn't respond to this.)

however, it would be helpful if you could provide a link to more information about the crossover in the first chapter - or at least identify what form of media "Bleach" is so as to facilitate a Google search.

Internal dialog: With any fandom, i'm writing for the fans of that fandom. I wouldn't want to assign homework to readers ("Hey! You a trekker? No? Well, read up on TOS, TNG and VGR, then check out my shrinking officers series!")

External dialog: Well, to be honest, it was written with Bleach and Buffy fandoms in mind. I did mention in the intro that i welded the TV Show and the (I'm sorry, i don't know what Bleach is.)______ together, and felt that too much background material would be offputting for readers that are already 'in' on the topics.

The use of four different symbol combinations to identify sections is exceedingly confusing and needlessly intricate.

Internal dialog: Okay, so i didn't do it the way you'd do it, bite me.

External dialog: I don't see how it's confusing. It is how i like to separate the sections.

If you look at published fiction you can see that such things are very simply indicated.

Internal dialog: You might notice this isn't published fiction.

External dialog: Are you offering to publish this? Cool! Hook me up with an editor, we'll come to terms with what i like and what the industry demands.

Why not have journal entries identified as such with a text header, and perhaps put that section in all italic? As for changing character point of view, either the narrative itself should indicate these changes or the section divider should be simple symbols that incorporate the character name.

Internal dialog: Am i being punished just because you had a hard time finding 'bleach?'

External dialog: While i appreciate constructive criticism, this seems more of a readability problem than helping with my story. What did you think of the main character?

The song lyrics should be in italics, again, a simple format problem.

Internal dialog: Bite me.

External dialog: I'm afraid that anyone reading would just gloss over the block of italics, to get back to the 'real' story, but the lyrics are important to the story and i want to be sure people read them.

The first chapter brings up some interesting items, but has a few issues with clarity

Internal dialog: I get this a lot. Deal.

External dialog: I get this a lot. But i really enjoy movies by Terry Gilliam, exactly because he doesn't spell out each and every thought, plot, and dialog for the viewer (Ever see Spaceballs? And Dark Helmet's turning to the audience after the plot exposition and asking "Did everyone get that?"). I don't explain everything for my readers, trusting that they can work it out eventually. If my style becomes a burden to someone, i would understand if they stop reading my stuff.

The bit with Angel & Angelus seems to contradict itself; a simple change in sentence order would fix that.

Internal dialog: Pay for publishing, i'll give a fuck about how you'd prefer to arrange the text.

External dialog: Cool. I'll take that up with the editor when we publish!

Also, the journal entry mentions: I don’t think they know what my relationship with Ichigo is. Who are they? Also, it sounds like Ichigo is in Sunnydale, but again, it is unclear.

Internal dialog: Sorry. That's an in-joke. For me and a million Bleach fans...

External dialog: Sorry. That's an in-joke.

As the original review whore, i'd close with appreciative verbage about the individual taking the time to comment, and while i don't quite agree with everything he (she?) wrote, it has given me something to think about with future efforts.

Like most people have been saying, I'd take this review with a grain of salt, and despite the fact that they don't know the other fandom, they're willing to read the story and review it. I admit that I used to just graze right over crossover fanfics, just because I didn't like them. Now I usually browse the Original section of AFF, but at least this person was willing to try the crossover, especially with something they have no knowledge about.

My thing about Author's Notes: I always stick mine at the beginning of each chapter, albeit I only have two chapters up in my one story that's online here, but I always felt that having it at the beginning of a chapter didn't disrupt the flow quite as much. The webpage for the new chapter has to load anyway (and for us dial-up users, that can be a while sometimes...) and there is usually a chapter title and number. In my eyes, the story is already "disrupted" at that point, so it would be a logical place for the readers to see it. The reader can browse through to see if I responded, and then move on to the story. In that way, the end feeling of the chapter is kept intact and the reader isn't jolted back to the real world with a "OMG THANK YOUUUUUU FOR ALL THE VIEWS!!!!" type of thing.

I always put my author's note at the top of the page, I never, ever would put it in the middle of a story, to me that is rude to the readers themselves.

The review, I would take it with a grain of salt really.

Beth

however, it would be helpful if you could provide a link to more information about the crossover in the first chapter - or at least identify what form of media "Bleach" is so as to facilitate a Google search.

Internal dialog: With any fandom, i'm writing for the fans of that fandom. I wouldn't want to assign homework to readers ("Hey! You a trekker? No? Well, read up on TOS, TNG and VGR, then check out my shrinking officers series!")

External dialog: Well, to be honest, it was written with Bleach and Buffy fandoms in mind. I did mention in the intro that i welded the TV Show and the (I'm sorry, i don't know what Bleach is.)______ together, and felt that too much background material would be offputting for readers that are already 'in' on the topics.

If you look at published fiction you can see that such things are very simply indicated.

Internal dialog: You might notice this isn't published fiction.

External dialog: Are you offering to publish this? Cool! Hook me up with an editor, we'll come to terms with what i like and what the industry demands.

The first chapter brings up some interesting items, but has a few issues with clarity

Internal dialog: I get this a lot. Deal.

External dialog: I get this a lot. But i really enjoy movies by Terry Gilliam, exactly because he doesn't spell out each and every thought, plot, and dialog for the viewer (Ever see Spaceballs? And Dark Helmet's turning to the audience after the plot exposition and asking "Did everyone get that?"). I don't explain everything for my readers, trusting that they can work it out eventually. If my style becomes a burden to someone, i would understand if they stop reading my stuff.

The bit with Angel & Angelus seems to contradict itself; a simple change in sentence order would fix that.

Internal dialog: Pay for publishing, i'll give a fuck about how you'd prefer to arrange the text.

External dialog: Cool. I'll take that up with the editor when we publish!

Why not have journal entries identified as such with a text header, and perhaps put that section in all italic? As for changing character point of view, either the narrative itself should indicate these changes or the section divider should be simple symbols that incorporate the character name.

Internal dialog: Am i being punished just because you had a hard time finding 'bleach?'

External dialog: While i appreciate constructive criticism, this seems more of a readability problem than helping with my story. What did you think of the main character?

Keith, thank you for giving me an extensive yet surprisingly funny response. A few things. Bleach is an anime and is actually supposed to be typed BLEACH. My oopsies there.

Second: You're right, its not published fiction. In published fiction, there would be no need for seperations. Thank you for making me laugh with your thoughts though.

Third: Its the first chapter. Of course it leaves things open. Its supposed to! Again, thank you for making me laugh with this reply.

Fourth: I laughed...again.

And you know what...I put the address up with a note saying something along the lines of "If you're new to anime and Bleach, go here to find out who is who and what I'm talking about. Warning: I'm not following the story line, things will be changed." And I stuck the link right after...right before my story. You can't miss it. How did she miss the line with all the dashes, dots and repeating letters?

Anyways, thank you all for your help with this. I'll eventually get around to answering the darn thing...once my net stops twitching on me.

Betas: I work as a beta and while I respect my beta-peers, I believe many of them are too lienent or not able to give the critical feedback authors need. I'm always weary when I use a beta who says "That's perfect, don't change anything." In fact, I usually run from the hills.

Review: As for the critic you've been given in the review, I'd actually ask that individual if they would like to do some beta work. Anyone who can give me that much information on what could be done to improve things, is definitly someone to keep in mind. As for any review or 'rant', I'd be thankful. It means they've taken the time to respond about what they liked and disliked. Also, when I give more 'critical reviews' either as a beta or as a reader and I get a defensive reply from an author - I get ticked. If you can't take well meant feedback, don't ask for any in the first place.

Authors notes: Depends on how it's done. When someone has the balls to interrupt the story with an "John Lockensfield(a/n: I thought the last name was way cool! Toodles~)" I stop reading. It's offensive and poor showmanship. There is no need for an authors note to be anywhere in the actual story text. When bracketed before or after the story, A quick little jaunt about whatever is awesome. Key word being little. When the authors note is bigger than the story text, someone has ego issues. The elongated one line roleplays between characters is also a bit of a menace.

Unless the author has something important to say, or is someone who I've enjoyed, I usually scroll past.

Lyrics, Letters, and Poems: Annoying! :devil: Seriously unneeded. If you must include a lyric or poem, I request you do it in the beginning. As for letters or author-made poems, a recap of the content is sufficent and much better for the flow of a story.