Click Here!

Can't change tags

Omega

So on my novel-in-progress, which has about twenty thousand tags, I was going to change some of the tags as I'm going to be introducing some content there's a tag for but I wasn't originally planning on having in it when I started writing it, so I didn't tag it as such. However, the tags are officially in the story description. When I try to add more, I just get an error that my description is too many characters long... you know, because of the boatload of tags, and likewise I wanted to remove a few that aren't going to apply after all, and can't.

Sooo, what can be done about it? What should I do in regards to tagging as such if there's no way for me to actually edit them?

Edited by Omega

What you can do is tag chapters in the story that needs them as an author's note. Something like tags for this chapter: blah, blah, blah, blah. We accept that as correct and don't take issue with it. Just make sure you put it as an AN we'll see, or the readers will, at the top.

Alright, gotcha. But is there anything I can do for removing the ones that aren't going to apply after all or am I just boned there?

Is it acceptable if on the first chapter I author's note "This novel as a whole will contain (applicable tags)"?

Thanks so much, you've been super helpful!

• 2 months later...
Guest kateofallpeople

I'm having the same issue. I can remove unwanted tags, but because I still have a number of them, it won't let me add any more. It's a shame that there's not a better way to edit the tags, because I know that I personally look over the tags in a fic before I read it to see if it's what I'm looking for or not. A mere tag change or two can make me read or not read an entire fic, and I would hate to not be able to add or change tags because it's separate when adding the story, but smushed in with the description when editing. There should probably be a fix for this, just adding it as an AN seems a little patchy and my OCD doesn't like when everything doesn't line up and edit and post like it should. My first thought was "Why doesn't it just have the same system as adding the fic in the first place? Why not just ctrl+click everything we've got in the edit page, too? Just me, maybe, or I guess not.

Believe me, I understand the frustration, but as the code stands now, we have a character limit on that field. Having said that, we are in the midst of a code rewrite, and while I can't guarantee that this part of the code will change, we do take our authors' opinions seriously.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.