Click Here!

Harry Potter Slash: What is the big problem with Remus Topping?

Kimmimaru

Yet another rant about Bottoms and tops in Slash fiction, this time fandom specific. Ok, so I'm casually writing away and posting chapters of my fics on FF.net as you do (Because I cheat on Aff...I'm so sorry...I...I just can't help myself!) And I get someone actually threatening to KILL me because I dare to write Slash with Remus as Top...I am actually getting a little sick of it tbh but I enjoy writing that way, I mean, I do sometimes allow them to swap roles occasionally but for now my thing is Remus Top...that will change at some point i'm sure, I go through phases. Anyways, I am sick and tired of it because there is no way to actually get rid of the spam they post in the review sections so people will read the reviews and see all these bad reviews made by the same person but with different accounts. I know I am ranting about it in the wrong place but I need to get this off my chest...*Sigh* So, now those stories have nothing but horrible, violent and non-constructive reviews because no one else is actually reading them anymore. Or perhaps I am genuinely a crappy writer...I don't like to think that though... :unsure:

<_< ... and this would be why we don't tolerate that bullshit here...

Having said that though, without looking at your review boards there, nor the stories they're attached to, there is a world of difference between concrit, harsh or nice, and an actual troll.

To me constructive crit is where someone makes suggestions where you could possibly improve your writing, I accept this. It helps people grow and it is usually done in a friendly manner. Then you have people actually telling the author that they should die, their characters are 'shit' without giving a decent reason. I have to say I prefer posting here because there is a lack of trolls, if people don't like a story they tend to just move on rather than spamming the reviews section, which is good. An example of the kinds of hate I have been receiving from this troll is: 'You suck go die!You suck go die!You suck go die!You suck go die!You suck go die!You suck go die!You suck go die!You suck go die!You suck go die!You suck go die!You suck go die!You suck go die!You suck go die!You suck go die!You suck go die!You suck go die!' Repeated about 100 times. To me, this is not constructive and yet I am unable to delete these comments...So there's now twenty comments about how 'shit' my story is, without giving me any decent crit.

Yup, that sounds like a flamer troll for sure. (I don't think anyone can honestly say "You suck go die!" is constructive crit, really)

I don't think I've read your stories before, but I -highly- doubt you're that bad from taking a quick peek at your summaries for the stories you have here at AFF. (Hell, even if you were that bad, it would be no excuse to tell you to "go die" or review-spam your stories with personal attacks.)

I personally see no issues in Remus topping, though there are a few pairings in which I can imagine it seeming slightly weird. (Fenrir and Remus in a consenting, loving relationship with Remus as "permanent" "top" would be the only one I can currently think of. Hate-sex with Remus topping Fenrir I could easily believe, and if I can get past the "loving, consenting relationship" part between those two, I could see them switching as well)

And I agree about you with how you see AFF. The serious users here are indeed more mature (partially because this is an adult site, partially because I doubt the staff would accept people behaving like childish trolls) and I agree that usually they either move on if they don't like a story as a whole, or give some constructive criticism if they like the idea, or most of the story, but feel certain things could have been done better.

I think a lot of that also has to do with AFFs staff being competent and actually dealing with trolls, unlike FFNs.

Oh, and a big hug. No one deserves getting that kind of reviews. :hug:

Edited by SillySilenia

Lol, thanks. Glad someone else agrees. I also can't see Remus topping Greyback, I mean seriously he's a Psychopathic monster, and I couldn't ever see them in any kind of relationship other than a forced one. But I write Sirius/Remus with Sirius bottoming, I DO sometimes let them switch if it's a multi-chap fic but for some reason I prefer writing Sirius as a bottom to be perfectly honest, dunno why but like I said I go through phases. I'm just bored of getting my stories spammed because now no one's reviewing them on FF.Net. Which is irritating as I need the Constructive crit to develop as a writer...ah well, I will see what happens and if they continue to spam my story I will take it down and re-upload it again just to get rid of the annoying reviews.

You're welcome. =)

Yeah, as I said, "if I could get past the loving, consenting relationship part", which I highly doubt. (Unless it's seriously AU and with a well-written background that explains how such a thing came to be, but then it really would be more along the lines of OCs with the faces and names of Greyback and Lupin, though if well-written I don't mind. If they're Gary Stu's replacing the canon-characters, well, that's different.)

I can see Sirius as either bottom or top, depending on the way you look at him. If his sometimes immature, bold behaviour is basically a cover for uncertainty he feels, sure. If it's written along the lines of him finally having someone to let himself go with, I can also see it. There's more to a character than what can be seen at face-value, after all. I can also see him as top, because he either is or acts very bold and outgoing, pretty "dominant" and all. (Not that a character that is or acts dominant outside the bedroom necessarily is the same inside, anyway.)

And I can understand being bored and frustrating with people spam-flaming your stories. Usually, such trolls get bored with it themselves after a while too, though, and then they move on to another story, especially if the person they're flaming doesn't give them the pleasure of flaming back and getting all (visibly) riled up and such.

Another :hug: for you.

ive never read any stories on Remus being on top (might do that now) nor have i dealt with trolls but seriously if they didnt like the story they SHOULD JUST NOT READ IT! I have come across stories that didnt interest me in the anime section and i dont go and say 'you suck go and die' on their comments page. I just dont read it! that person seriously needs to get a life! Dont let them get to you. I thank AFF for not having trolls on this site :D

I've read a few of your works, and you do very well - and I like Sirius as bottom, though I don't mind him as top. And Remus - I've never understood why more authors don't write him as top; he's an aggressive werewolf at least part of the month, every month, sometimes twice a month. So particularly around those times, I'd figure he'd be more demanding, more Dom.

As for this flamer - I have to wonder if this person, these accounts, are doing this to anyone else. I mean, it's not right that it's being done to you, but that kind of rampant rudeness usually spreads to more than one person, y'know?

Anyway, yes, many thanks to the staff here for keeping an eye on flamers/trollers/spammers, because that behavior is...immature, rude, and intolerable. Much better to just leave a story if you don't like it.

I'm glad I got to unburden myself, lol. Feeling much better. I don't visibly get riled up, in fact I ensure I stay super passive agressive...admittedly I think it may be partly my fault for attempting to dissuade the troll by PM'ing them...I was really calm, I kept my head but I was really patronising and condescending, I told her that she's obviously far too young to be reading my stories and she obviously has some issues she needs to work through... :/ I'm probably paying for that, lol. I was good though, I didn't swear or rant or do anything much except send smilies and hugs...like the hippy i am. Ah well, I'm sure she will get bored and if worse comes to worse I can just re-upload the story then all the nasty comments are gone.