Click Here!

[Closed] Dean Wax Fiction Discussion

Dean_Wax

This thread is old and mainly for shelved works, so it is closed.

My stories can still be found at:
http://members.adult-fanfiction.org/profile.php?no=1296926941&view=story&zone=original.

If you have questions, you could ask me on Tumblr or write a review on the story and I may start a new review reply thread.

Edited by Dean_Wax

Do you have other writing on other sites? from Nine for Wailing

No, but I would like to submit a microfiction or two to Creepypasta in the future. I guess I'll pop a link in here if any get through.

So Mikey is a murderer too? from Nine for Wailing

Technically, no. Mikey left him there in the street and never looked back, and Aardvark certainly would have required some serious hospitalisation afterwards; but he didn't die. The problem with Flicker's ghost is it can be difficult to determine, even for Flicker himself, which ones are are leaning more on the supernatural, which ones are a part of himself, and which ones are just symbolism he's dreamed up in his subconscious. He's a very troubled boy.

Why was he burning those pictures? from Quill for Aure

That won't become clear for quite a while. Sit tight.

What kind of time period is this? Or is this an alternate reality kind of world? from Nine for Aure

Though Aure's first master kept a strictly traditional household in terms of technology, Aure would likely have been born in the 1970s or the 1980s. Living exclusively on isolated, classical estates; he's never really been exposed to many electronics. If he went into Matthias' kitchen, though he is not meant to eat there in the same way he ate with the Cook, I'd expect he'd find some things like food processors and a microwave that he'd never seen before. Because I intend the story to span over so many years, it was important that I start it a few decades before the present. It's not meant to be too much of an alternate reality, though later the story will gain some supernatural themes.

Edited by Dean_Wax

thank you for answering the questions... a bit sad that there is no other trove of your writing on some other site... will have to make do with the angst of waiting "patiently" for more...

"The problem with Flicker's ghost is it can be difficult to determine, even for Flicker himself, which ones are are leaning more on the supernatural, which ones are a part of himself, and which ones are just symbolism he's dreamed up in his subconscious. He's a very troubled boy."

This is why i love your world and your stories... this description has just made me fall even more in love with Flicker... please don't have david drink him to death. seriously will cry.

does mikey know that aardvark is alive?

i am surprised at the time period for aure. at first i thought it was 1920's, 30's, 40's or something and then as the chapters progressed i just kept getting more and more confused.

i notice you haven't revealed anything more about the evil guy and aure's master (yeah... cant remember the names at this point sorry) le sigh

i am also surprised and excited by the fact that the aure story will "span many years"... i cant wait to see what kind of character development will take place with aure.

when i think of aure my heart is all troubled with anguish. how is he going to deal with the abuse? and he has already murdered someone... i really hope he also murders the evil guy.

your characters have really captured my attention and my love.

and this has nothing to do with anything but does the auto-correct peeve you as well...?? when i type aure it automatically turns into "sure" or it might just be my computer or my incompetence lol

love from nine.

Does Mikey know Aardvark is still alive? from Nine for Wailing

He has no idea. He never looked back on that night and because Aardvark was a nobody and Mikey got to him before Alistair could get close enough to make him known, the rest of the sheep never kept closer tabs on his whereabouts. Mikey is the sort of person who would claim it glamorous to be a criminal but would never breathe a word of anything he'd ever done to others because he is afraid of the consequences.

How is he going to deal with the abuse? from Nine for Aure

It gets complicated. Aure is one of my oldest roleplay characters, from way back when I first got cross with the community at the large number of characters that were simultaneously attractive in body, mind and spirit. So I started creating pious-looking characters that were monsters, and vice versa. I have more extreme examples in other characters, ones who are literally demons and the like; but I find Aure more interesting because I had him grow up over several different roleplays over several years at different points in his timeline. It really helped to shape his story.

Does the auto-correct peeve you as well? from Nine

Yes. I avoid Apple devices like the plague when it comes to writing.

Edited by Dean_Wax

• 3 weeks later...

i am just wondering what sort of fiction you read and what might be your most favourite novels. I am curious because I think your writing style is very distinctive and I would love to know what has informed your process. Also, your stories are so deliciously dark but you pull the darkness off in a way that is not cloying in the slightest. The vampiric aspects remind me of anne rice (seriously, your david and his creator are just so wonderful and thrillingly mad and kyaaa i will start gushing if i dont stop now). but i am not reminded of anything else and i just think that i might enjoy what you read... and after all, i need something to occupy my reading time as i wait for your updates.

and yeah, i am going to say it again, I LOVE flicker. the way you set up his chapters are so vivid with the ghosts. i am so charmed by them. oh flicker! and mikey! is he coming back?

also, did alistair know about mikey's secret?

you describe aure as a monster? interesting!

i can not wait to find out what kind of business his owner is in. and yeah, i want aure to kill the rapey guy in a slow and painful way. i cant wait to find out what is going to happen.

What sort of fiction do you read? from Nine

If you're already familiar with their fiction, it will be screamingly obvious from my characters that I am very fond of Poppy Z. Brite's fiction. I have read most of Brite's novels but not all of them, as I am not terribly interested in the ones that focus on the foodie culture. The very first Brite novel I read was Exquisite Corpse by recommendation from another roleplayer, and it all took off from there. My most favourite novel so far is probably Drawing Blood, but there are a lot of cues and quotes I have thieved from Lost Souls in Wailing, such as "Death is easy". Read it and you'll see.

Is Mikey coming back? from Nine

Eventually.

Does Alistair know about Mikey's secret? from Nine

He hasn't the foggiest idea. As far as he knows Mikey is male in both mind and body. He refused to fuck him properly in the past because he found Mikey's clingy and suffocating and he thought sex would make that worse, but he'd never say no to a blow job. Mikey kept his chest bound or corseted from day one, and the thickness of his makeup also disguises his feminine features by making caricatures of them.

You describe Aure as a monster? from Nine

A lot of people describe Aure as a monster. Aure himself routinely thinks of his existence as parasitic. What gnaws at him is the fact that he had no control over the circumstances that led to his codependency. He has been a slave since he was born and was not educated about the outside world nor the possibility that he would have rights as a human being. What he is experiencing in terms of perspective at Matthias' household is very radical and jarring to him. His behaviour is going to escalate.

• 5 weeks later...

i had never heard of poppy z brite so thank you for telling me about him! your answers just make me more eager for more chapters. it seems the stories are going to go to fabulous places and i really cant wait to see mikey again. i really love him. the big reveal really made me cry. i identify with him in many ways. (love flicker as well)

so let me say it for the umpteenth time, but Aure is too fascinating. I can not wait to see how he interacts with Cale. Actually, I cant wait to find out more about Cale.

I loved that moment when Aure saw the "normal" kids playing together. i love how he plays with the ball now. what is that about? is that him being curious about how other children live? does he persist with the ball games because that is what other children do or does he genuinely enjoy it?

I am fascinated by how closed off he is, and how self sufficient, the way he wouldn't even consider running away or looking for help and the way he precesses everything so thoroughly and then comes to the most amusing and Aure-ian conclusions.

I guess i dont see Aure as a monster because i see him as a victim. but the more i think about it, the more i realise that being a victim does not preclude Aure from being a monster or becoming one. "his behaviour is going to escalate" are some of the most exciting words i have ever read... cant wait!!!!

• 1 month later...
Guest sdfgh

^ I think poppy z is a woman XD

i remember reading her books when i was a wee high schooler. oh the memories T_T

hello author! i read your story with the seasonal themes which led me to Aure. Loveee his characterization! he is something new. not many people on aff.net can write intelligent characters so well, it was like finding a diamond T_T i would probably place Aure in the pseudo-high brow slash/smut fiction category of my mind lol.

anyway just wanted to say, awesome stories!

I love how he plays with the ball now. what is that about? from Nine for Aure

Though he wouldn't admit it, Aure conducted several test of child's play upon himself throughout his young adolescence. He takes a mild enjoyment in it, but his personality disorders discourage himself from laughing and playing like a healthy, balanced child. That, and he was curious about the ball specifically; he genuinely did not know what it was.

I think poppy z is a woman... from sdfgh

Brite has a vagina, but now prefers to be addressed by male pronouns. I never really much cared about his gender anyway, though when it comes to to the brunt of it I don't mince words.

I would probably place Aure in the pseudo-high brow slash/smut fiction category of my mind... from sdfgh for Aure

Thank you. Aure would think of himself as high brow too. There really won't be any enjoyable smut in Aure, but you can keep an eye on Seasons Burn for that.

• 3 months later...

i think this makes more sense in humour... even if it is slishy-slashy. this is the most successful parody of this genre i have read so far... i assume it is a parody... it is certainly like no dean wax story i have ever read before!!!!! from Nine for Candy Hearts Bleed Forever

I thought so too, but unfortunately the Humour category is a desolate wasteland. And the slash will be very frequent, for I will be shoehorning the unsolicited sexual harassment into each and every chapter. When it is done, I have been toying with the idea of injecting my other characters into the gauntlet that is Tropes Academy to see how they'd fare.

And thank you for being the first reviewer to identify that this is satirical. Some genuinely written cliches will be in Seasons Burn I suppose, but I have been taking a break, so to speak (with CHBF) and am still very much focused on the TOAK arc. I am having a few problems with the plot plan for Seasons Burn anyway. I need to work out some major kinks.

• 3 months later...
Guest Ann Stalls

I just read Aure. Please tell me you will be writing more. I don't think I can get enough of Aure. What an interesting character. I do feel sorry for him.

I did not quite understand the last chapter. How much does he know why he exists? He is something else..

I just read Aure. Please tell me you will be writing more. I don't think I can get enough of Aure. What an interesting character. I do feel sorry for him.

I did not quite understand the last chapter. How much does he know why he exists? He is something else..

Yes, but I'm working on a Wailing chapter right now. I will get all of the things done, just... slowly.

Right now, Aure knows as much as others have told him. He doesn't yet have the means to do his own investigating. Patience, my sweet.

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to take a look at some of your work and Candy Hearts was the one that stood out to me the most! I was JUST about to ask was this some sort of parody from the school names alone but decided to see if you had answered that here. You did; lol! I'll definitely have to save this so I'm able to read more whenever I have the extra time. I know that this was set up for questions but I just wanted to give you a comment; I don't have any questions as of right now!

I decided to take a look at some of your work and Candy Hearts was the one that stood out to me the most! I was JUST about to ask was this some sort of parody from the school names alone but decided to see if you had answered that here. You did; lol! I'll definitely have to save this so I'm able to read more whenever I have the extra time. I know that this was set up for questions but I just wanted to give you a comment; I don't have any questions as of right now!

Thank you! I am glad my constructions borne of bitterness can bring joy to others. ;D

• 5 months later...
Guest Kira Kiralina

Just read Aure, and liked it very much.

Take Leonardo and make him grow up in such an environment and you have one genial monster.

Althrough I don't consider Aure one, meaning monster. He only pushed back.

Creepy kid definitely. Desensitized yes. But not cruel. At least not yet.

I hope to see more of this character. It's one that remains with you long after reding.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just read Aure, and liked it very much.

Take Leonardo and make him grow up in such an environment and you have one genial monster.

Althrough I don't consider Aure one, meaning monster. He only pushed back.

Creepy kid definitely. Desensitized yes. But not cruel. At least not yet.

I hope to see more of this character. It's one that remains with you long after reding.

Thank you!

Well, most of my characters are at least partially monstrous, but I have made it fairly easy to cut Aure some slack because his crimes and prejudices are products of his trauma.

You'll see more of him, but not for quite some time because I probably won't pick up writing again until 2015. However, he is a pretty central character in the story arc and as I contuinue to flesh out more of his future in my notes, he is not as cruel as I originally intended him to be, although he remains quite cold.

• 6 months later...

I wanted to continue reading this story, i really did. But the writing style of everyone taking random chapters and telling everything through their personal point of view is just confusing. i actually have to read half a chapter before recognizing who is the charater. Its exhausting. from lavi1443 on Wailing

It's a shame you feel that way, but everyone has different tastes. The construction is on purpose - Wailing is not a stable story and these are not stable characters. You might like Aure better (most people do) but eventually, by which I mean years from now, Wailing is going to have information required to understand how the events in the different stories link together, including Aure.

It's a wonderful piece and has me perfectly in suspense as to where it's going to go. I was not at all predicting, from the initial setup, the turns it would take to get here--it's been a magnificent trip so far. The beginning of it actually had me thinking of the French horror film "Livide," which I heartily recommend if you've not seen it. - from Wirevix on Aure

Thank you very much for your reviews! My eyes went all saucery when I read them. I don't think I can adequately describe the validation I feel when even just one person enjoys my stories, except maybe with that sentence.

Also, never forget that I am something of a prankster and haha, oh man, you don't even wanna know how far down this rabbit hole goes. My house still hasn't started yet, though I was able to choke out some chapters over christmas, but once I have my own space I hope to write at the same pace I had in 2012/2013.

Also, thank you very much for recommending Livide. I am going to save it for Sunday.

I suppose maybe I'm a bit odd myself, but I actually deeply enjoy the huge amounts of uncertainty that result from having no idea who is telling their subjective truth versus who is telling the factual truth--the fuzziness from everyone's unique brands of utter madness gives rise to all sorts of possible interpretations in my head, to the extent that I'll almost be sad if/when one truth is confirmed over the others.- from Wirevix on Wailing

Yes! Yes, actually. Some characters do lie. It's harder for the narrating ones to lie, but they do have biases that leads them to misinterpret events.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.