Click Here!

Star Trek Fanfiction

Guest Zyx

• 3 weeks later...
Guest TheAdrians

Holy piss you're so right. We're trying to work on some K/S stuff and most of the time we don't feel like we've got enough information to write along the cannon properly. x_X; We suppose we could write off cannon, but piss...

We've got to read/watch more... o_0

For me, the hardest part is to avoid insertion.

I mean, at least twice in my career i wrote my stated goal: To be the intelligence officer on the starship Enterprise.

If you're really worried about canon, though, watch the first season of TOS. Compare the first few episodes to the last movies. They really were making it up as they went along. What was the organization they first worked for? Interstellar Survey Service?

The good news about Trek fiction, if you get it wrong: Yes, some fans will skewer your every mistake. But there will also be fans that become apologists, suggesting ways that two contradictory facts could both be right.

Guest TheAdrians

We're the kind of detail obsessed freaks who can't start writing something without knowing damn close to everything about what we're writing on. :);

We only plan on writing for TOS though, so life may be a bit easier-

With TLT over in Red Dragon of the movies section- we couldn't bring ourselves to write until we'd read every book and seen every movie (minus Hannibal Rising, as it wasn't out yet.) We also dug through the online Lecterpedia and read every Hannibal/Will fan fiction we could get our hands on. (Sadly, there aren't that many...so it isn't a huge task. Maybe 40 or 50 max.)

We worry about fans skewering us because we're the kind of people who skewer...mentally, at least. (We don't tell the authors. We think that's rude.)

We realize that it's nearly impossible to read all the K/S stuff out there, so we aren't going to be bummed about that...We just want to watch the entirety of TOS, TAS, and all the movies with the TOS crew in them. That way we'll be secure in our knowledge and be ready to write. o_o

We feel like such losers.

We worry about fans skewering us because we're the kind of people who skewer...mentally, at least.
Well, readers who want your story to be the most technically correct. that's got to be a better feeling than writing fetish fic.

A lot of the critics in that area just bitch if your story doesn't track directly along with their special needs....

Then again, terribly canon trek stories may be trekker special needs...

Trek can be fun to write even without knowing everything. Though I've seen nearly every single episode ever aired (except Enterprise, that blasphemy of trekdom! DIE!), I usually get by pretty well without having to look up something but once in a while, since I do typically stick with canon characters, I look up things that have to do with their backgrounds and might have only been made in very small passing in some vague episode in season 3 of such and what while so and so was sitting in the jefferies tube talking with geordi. *shrug*

• 2 years later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.