Click Here!

Spanking: abuse or Discipline? Class project

kagome26isawsome

Spanking  

12 members have voted

1. 1. to you is spanking

• abuse
    • discipline

Never spanked my girls, but I have to say I don't think if done right its abuse. The one swat principle I think is appropriate as long as it's doesn't become the go to for every offense. I know I got whipped with belts and switched and shoes and spoons and just whatever was handy at the time, literally made me worse. I would take it as a challenge, sort of I can take whatever you can dish out and once my spanking was done, I would repeat whatever got me the whipping in the first place, just to prove my parents couldn't break me I guess.

I tend to take away privledges when they're bad, take away a 16 y/o's car away and see how fast they straighten up. If I need a quick intervention, I just pick them up and hold them till they get the message - drives the 15 y/o nuts :D

So, not abuse if done with restraint...oh and the making the kid drop their pants...so wrong and sorta creepy!

I promise, everyone makes parenting mistakes. There are no exceptions to that.

Oh that hurts DG, my kids think I'm perfect! That's my story and I'm sticking to it! Plus I'll ground the little buggers until they're thirty if they disagree :D

I think a swat or two over clothing is acceptable, and necessary in dangerous situations, but anything above that which involves planning, preparation, bare skin, implements etc is abuse in my book.

It never happened to me, although my mother had this way of grabbing your arm, pushing your sleeve up, and slapping you hard on the forearm ten or twelve times in rapid succession. To this day I still remember how much that hurt. :(

Mostly, when they wanted to punish me for something or other, they kept me away from my books.

• 9 months later...

I have a very willful 2 (nearly 3) year old girl, and I do smack (I just can't call it 'spanking' lol) her when she's naughty - on the bum, through clothing. I also slap her hand if she touches or takes things after we've told her not to.

I was smacked as a child (all the time, as I was naughty a lot!) and I remember just the threat of being smacked was enough to make me behave - even though I don't remember it hurting very much, just a slight sting for a few minutes, then that's it.

Wow, this is an old one, but what the hey. So I'll probably piss everyone off but I'm going with abuse, well maybe not abuse but unwarrented. I have never struck a child and never will, my opinion is that there is never a reason to hit a defenseless child. You may have to snatch them up, even hold them until they calm down, but we don't give our children enough credit when we say you can't reason with a small child, I do it everyday, or did when I was teaching, and find it works more often than not.

Do I condemn parents who spank, no I don't; as long as restraint is used, and I don't mean tie the child up, then its an effective discipline technique; its just that I think there is a better way.

It also should be noted that all but our oldest was adopted and were children of abuse, some of it pretty horrific, so spanking, patting, or even a little slap is something we just don't do as a hard and fast rule.

Oh and just so you know, none of our girls thinks Magus is perfect, they just tell him that when they want something :P he's so easy LOL

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.