Click Here!

What Do You Look For In An Ideal Review?

hisbabybird

So now that I'm posting fics on AFF, I've been trying to get my ass in gear and leave reviews for other authors, but I was wondering -- what do people look for in a 'good' review? I really hate leaving things as simple as 'great fic, keep going,' but I'm curious to find out the types of concrit, etc, authors enjoy reading. Any thoughts?

In depth constructive criticism. The good, the bad, and the ugly. Suggestions for improvement, that sort of thing. I usually start out with the bad and add the good later, but I think a lot more people want buttering up if they are going to hear what was wrong in their writing. I just don't like to cater to people who want ego-strokes :P

Being a review-whore (I'm not going to deny it... :) ), I love in-depth, honest reviews. I like to know what people think of my work and what sort of ideas they get out of reading my stories, no matter how long-winded the review may be.

A couple of examples of this are in the review lists of a few of my stories (yeah, shameless plugging. I just can't help myself), such as H.S. Lennox's review in my story Internal Affair, and cu-kid's review in my other work, Nexus. Those that reviewed for Roads Leading Back are open about their opinions and want to find a better understanding of the characters in the story as well as the choices they make, and that's fine with me.

Knowing that people actually take the time to read, review, and appreciate my writing (such as asking questions about the characters and/or offering constructive criticism) is what I really look for. I may not have many reviews to what I've posted, but I'm happy to know that the reviews that I do get are ones that help me write.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest orleans

I really appreciate it when people explain what they think is good or bad, how I could improve and such. I love it when they start speculating about the next chapter too. It gives me a good feeling to know that they actually care so much about the story. And I admit, I like reading those "simple" comments like as 'great fic, keep going,' etc. Especially on a bad day they can encourage me :devil:

What Makes a Good Review:

1. Earnest emotional reaction to the story.

Criticism is appreciated, but I'd also like to know what my readers felt when they read. Did it make you sad? Did it make you horny? Did you get excited or scared? This is basic feedback stuff, but it's surprising how often it's omitted from a review.

2. Earnest intellectual reaction to the story.

What did you think about it? Sure, maybe the sex was hot and you chuckled a few times, but what did you actually think about the story? Did you buy the premise? Was the plot compelling? Were the characters fleshed out and unique? How about the presentation / narration? More basic stuff that often gets left out, especially when people focus on their emotional reactions!

3. Tell them what was good (Strengths)

4. Tell them what could be improved. (Weaknesses)

5. Tell them what you think / feel / want to happen in the story's future (Speculation)

6. Thank them for writing! Seriously, it's not easy.

I know that this is a shit ton to ask of any one reviewer. Just getting a review, even if it's a simple "please write more", is always a great feeling for most writers. But, when you really want someone's input, you'd want it on all of these things, I imagine. You want to know if your story is smart, if it evokes strong emotions, where it can be improved, where it's already strong, where people think it is headed. And, of course, you want some support.

Criticism is always a good thing, but it's not the only thing.

Years back I wrote a story that was a rather silly, smut oriented Gundam Wing fanfic. I came up with a title and made several edits very quickly before posting. It was called "Naughty Vodka", but I'd forgotten to change the name of the liquor from Bacardi, even though I'd replaced every instance of the word 'rum' with 'vodka'. Well, I got a bunch of reviews on that story that were hardly anything more than "Bacardi is a rum, not a vodka". Seriously. That's criticism, sure. I deserved it, sure. But that's always stood out in my mind as an example of how criticism can often be quite useless, and that an ideal review has much more to it.

Yeah, I'm done ranting. Hope this helps.

• 2 months later...
Guest Monsterking

what i look for in an review is an mixture of contructive critisism and the reviewers opinion on my storys plotline

cheers and may the furs be with you "WOOOOOO!!"

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
I wrote this for my own site, but since it may help answer your question, here you go:

Review? Why bother?

What you read and see at [this site] is art. It may not be created by a professional (though certainly some of it is) but it is art, and should be treated that way. Authors, artists and photographers work hard to create something for you to enjoy. It takes time, energy and emotion to create what you’re seeing in the flash of an eye.

It takes a great deal of bravery to post something that has taken so much time and energy for the public to see and dissect. Authors lay bare their fantasies and artists expose their sweat and sore hands to their audience, models are showing their bodies to strangers. Each one is putting him or herself on display.

The authors, artists, photographers and models of [the site] deserve recognition on their work. They deserve recognition for their efforts, courage and their generosity in showing you pieces of themselves. The best way to give that recognition is to leave feedback or a review by clicking the “Leave Feedback/Leave a Review” button on the page that you’ve just viewed.

How to write a review

A gentle reminder before anything else is said is that reviews should be left concerning the quality of the piece and the emotions invoked rather than judging the content of the piece. If you find that your emotions are so heavily negative concerning the work because of the content, please wait to review the work until your emotions have calmed and you can write a reasonably objective review the focuses on the writer’s style and skill rather than your emotional distaste. It’s really important to be unbiased in writing your reviews – both positively and negatively – so the author grows in skill.

While a simple “great story” or “Mmmm” note and a star number is acceptable – it shows the author that someone has read and possibly enjoyed the story (and knows where the “M” key is), why not leave a more constructive review? At [the site], we encourage con-crit (constructive criticism) to help authors. This doesn’t mean that every story has a list of things to work on; it could also be that the author should keep doing a certain thing.

At the bottom of each chapter and each photograph/drawing, there is a place to add a review/feedback. Type in your comments and click the submission button.

Anonymous reviews are not allowed. Flames– that is unreasonable critiques – and personal attacks are also not allowed.

Some things to bring up in a constructive review:

- Was the summary well written and did it accurately describe the story? “How could it have been improved? How was it good?

- Were the content notes accurate? Should others be included?

- The plot was _____ (imaginative, original, believable, unrealistic, ....) because _____.

- The visual descriptions were _____ (perfect, not enough, lush, gorgeous, inaccurate) because ___

- The characters were ___ (just like real people, humans, exactly what I imagined, one sided, needed depth). My favorite character was ____ because ____.

- I thought this story could use a bit of work on ____ (realism, dialog, grammar, ...)

- The emotions this picture/story brought out in me were _____.

- My overall opinion of this story is that it ________.

- What I like most about this picture is ____.

- The element that I find most jarring/most pleasing in this photograph is ____

- The next time you take an erotic photo/draw, you should pay attention to ____.

- The background elements are ____ (great, too busy, distracting, amazing, how did you do that).

- The model in your photo is ______ (beautiful, inappropriate for the manip you chose, looks uncomfortable, looks like she’s having fun.)

- I couldn’t really get in to your story because _____ but I did like how you _____.

- Leave a [plus].

Please take just a moment when you are finished reading or seeing a photo or drawing, to leave a note for the author or artist. A meaningful review only takes a few seconds but the author or artist appreciates forever.

• 2 weeks later...

Whenever I receive a review (good or bad) I look at it as if I'm opening a present. Honestly, I see them as gifts! Whether it's a one-line "Hey this is awesome" or a more in-depth analysis of the reader's likes or dislikes. For my main story Dragon Drive, I have received so many awesome reviews and, of course, my favorites are the ones who explain what they like.

This topic has a LOT of really awesome points, and I don't think I'd argue with anything put here. Even though I know this thread is called "What do you look for in an ideal review" I think that there has been a lot of great things posted here. I actually want to point out what I don't like in a review (now that's not to say I don't like the review). I have seen a few people try to be really nice, post something awesome, but sometimes what they write can be taken as a little offputting or cynical, something that an author might not appreciate:

• First and foremost: DON'T ASSUME! You know what they say, "Assuming makes an ass out of u and me." One of the most irritating things that I can see in any review is to make a cynical or resolute decision about where a story is headed. For instance someone saying "Well, it's obvious that xxxx is going to happen" or "It's a shame that your story is going to turn out xxxx way." Remember that the only person who actually knows 100% what is going to happen in a story is the author. Feel free to make a prediction, but let the author tell the story because sometimes they can and will surprise you (we're sneaky like that!).
  • If you don't like a topic, don't read about it. I enjoy writing in topics that some people don't like or don't consider and I make sure to warn everyone in the summary about things that others might find distasteful. One of the rudest things that someone can do is read a story they know they aren't going to like, just so that they can write a critical or cruel review.
  • Remember the compliment sandwich. If you are going to write a criticizing or analytically oriented review, realize that not all authors have thick skin. The compliment sandwich is a way to let an author know that, even though you have your complaints, you still like their work and that their effort is appreciated. It basically goes like this:
    • Start with a compliment, tell them something you like about the story or something you think they did well.
    • Transition into a critique of what you didn't like and remember that most of the time this is personal preference! Just because you don't like it doesn't mean someone else doesn't. The only real non-personal critiques are in terms of technical errors such as grammar, spelling or punctuation.
    • Offer up your own thoughts on how you might fix this, but don't go too deep. Remember that it isn't your story to write.
    • End with another compliment, generally a good one I like to go with is, "Regardless of a few problems here and there, I love this story and honestly thank you for taking the time to write it. Keep up the awesome work!"
  • Don't write what you wouldn't like to receive. Think of your own work for a moment, be it writing, drawing, working on a car, anything! Take the review you want to write and think to yourself in the context of your own hobbies, "Is this something that I would appreciate getting?" If not, you may want to consider rewriting or revising your review.

When I review, I try to leave an honest, in-depth collection of compliments, critique and suggestions on how to improve.

Generally, I start out with how I felt about the story as a whole, and if I don't have anything positive to say, I don't review. (That whole, "Not all authors have thick skin" thing.) I tell the author if I liked it, if I felt it had potential, if it intrigued me, if it made me laugh.

Next, I note what spelling or grammatical errors I remember seeing, what they should have been and why, AND that it's not a big deal, just something they might want to get a beta for because spell/grammar checks often make mistakes that a human eye can catch.

Then I move on to a scene by scene cover of the chapter/story. I comment on how in character people were if the story is fan fiction, and if they're not in character, I share my thoughts on how acceptable the reasoning for that is. I cover the realism of the emotions felt by the characters, because I'm big on psychological cause and effect. Also because I think it helps the reader connect with the story when the emotions are realistic, whether or not people are in character. If there's action, I'll cover how the fight scene seemed to me and how it might be improved (if I think of that; sometimes I miss that one).

In telling the author what I liked or disliked in each scene and how it might be improved if needed, I also like to throw in what I thought of the interactions between the characters, the way the thoughts came across, and how much attention to detail there was. Some writers are great at dialogue but suck at background details, such as scenery/surroundings. These are also important details, if mostly noted briefly and in passing, and they help a reader grasp the world the author is writing in. For fan fiction, not so much background detail is necessary, but it's still nice to read.

As I'm bringing my review to a close, I usually cover the details that really got to me (good or bad) again, restating why I had the reactions I did and why I felt it was or was not appropriate--and, if not, what suggestions I had to make it more appealing to readers. Then I enthuse a bit more over the story, bringing it to a close on a high note, and end it with my signature phrase and my username, which are as follows:

May the words just flow,

Cuzosu

(I find that "May the words just flow" and similar phrases of writing encouragement often seem to help others get past writer's block, so I try very hard not to leave it out. Encouraging another person to write more is a wonderful way of helping them learn to accept concrit and hopefully getting them to the point of figuring out how to correct some of their own mistakes. It may not always work, but I think it's worth the effort.)

What I look for in an ideal review...

Honesty. I prefer someone outright stating they disliked my story (preferably with their reasons for this) over the famous "sandwich formula" when and if it's clear to me anyway that they disliked the story. Liked parts but hated others? Then make that clear. Don't wrap it up in twenty layers of compliments with half a sentence dedicated to what you disliked. Tell me what you disliked, why, if/how it could be improved.

Criticism & Non-genericness.

You didn't like it? That's fine, but what is the reason? Anything on my side that could be improved, or just not your cup of tea, etc.? Found some factual inconsistencies? Grammatical issues? Spelling mistakes? Plot holes (except in crack-fics and PWP, of course)? Point it out. Can't correct what I'm not aware of.

You hated it? Let me know, and why - unless it is because you refused to take heed of the summary and warnings. If I mention my story centers around a specific pairing or kink, you read it anyway, and then complain 'cause you don't like the pairing or kink... well, frankly speaking, you're wasting your time complaining, then.

You liked it? Lovely, but why/what part? Anything you feel could be improved? While "Loved it, write more plz." is nice for an ego-stroke, it doesn't tell me anything. Not even that someone read the story - for all I know, they could be copy-and-pasting it all over the archive. Same goes for "U & ur story suck, go crawl in a hole and die". If you are bothered enough to wish me dead, at least let me know why, 'kay? ;)

(Not that I have received reviews of that kind on AFF yet - though I have on other sites)

Oh, and don't go and complain over a single typo if your review is written in leet-speak, littered with typos, etc. Point it out, sure. Get all up on your high horse? Not when your review that's less than 10% of the size of my chapter has about ten times as many typos in it as my chapter.

Edited by SillySilenia

• 3 weeks later...

Funny thing that.

'Your story is AWESOME! Please, PLEASE continue! I loves it too bitsness!'

That is my favourite review type >_>

Didn't see that one coming did ya?

I call 'em 'feel-good-reviews' because that's what they do. They make you feel all warm and tingly ^_^. Oh don't deny it, they give you the tingles too! -_-

When I see one of those after posting a chapter it's a sigh of relief, a breath of air that drains the tension out of me. It solidifies the thought in my head that said 'I did my best' and extinguishes the ones that said 'you could have done better'. These types of reviews may not be in depth or smart but they are filled with true emotion that the reviewer tries to convey woth words alone, and that all writers (no matter what they say) truly appreciate.

My own advice is just to be honest. But don't be honest by trying to be smart. Be honest in how you felt. Showing a would be writer just HOW much you enjoyed it can mean a lot more than telling them what they did wrong. :) Don't make it too generic though!

Just use your own judgement, any review is welcome if it's set in a positive light. There's nothing wrong with writing '*jumps up and down on her bed with a Ichigo plushing and ignoring her mothers screaming* it's just your way of showing how much the story meant to you, and it means a lot to the writer. Never doubt that.

But If you feel you have to say something just set it in a positive light and try to make the review 'feel-good' :)

Edited by BookMaggot

• 4 months later...

i HATE the feel good reviews because they dont tell you anything of use, I want to know what someone liked about my story, why they liked it and what they did not like, and maybe that they caught something here or there too.

i want a real review from someone with half a brain while not being a royal jack ass about it.

i HATE the feel good reviews because they dont tell you anything of use, I want to know what someone liked about my story, why they liked it and what they did not like, and maybe that they caught something here or there too.

i want a real review from someone with half a brain while not being a royal jack ass about it.

A: Although I do not hate feel good reviews, I do tend to agree with your thoughts, SirGeneral. Feel good/fanpoodle gushes leave me feeling empty as an author. I have zero idea as to why the reader loves the story. I get the "Oh wow it's yaoi and I love yaoi" comments fairly often in reviews. Such "I love yaoi, and this story is yaoi" makes me think that the readers will love anything involving two men in a relationship without rhyme, nor reason. I begin to wonder about the reviewer's ability to determine a good writer from a sloppy, lazy writer at that point. Having seen similar poodles on very badly written tales I attempted to read, I begin doubting myself as a writer. I put a lot of effort into revising and fixing all the errors I can recognize before I post anything. Therefore, an empty, "Love it" generic type review is a huge ego deflating experience for me personally.

I realize that many people enjoy fanpoodle reviews, and actively revile thought provoking input about a writer's improvement curves if they revise. Personally, I find such empty reviews very much a disservice. Art is part and parcel for writing. Therefore, art should bring to life, within the reader's mental eye, the very essence of the characters so that they breathe as they interact. If the writing fails to do so, then the writer should be given enough feedback to help them revise to strengthen the work. Readers want the mental images which flow and engage their emotions. Otherwise, there would be no readers at all.

Some writers love to get self improvement feedback, while others throw tantrums if they do not get ego strokes. On a free fanfiction based site, it can be difficult to determine which type of author you are dealing with at any given moment. Many valuable tips have been shared in this thread, and brings into focus the ongoing concerns many reviewers have about stating problematic points in tales they read online at any fan based sites. I am pleased to see that some of us writers are taking a stand and giving a head's up that it is alright to acknowledge problems exist in their work, and can be fixed if mentioned within these posts.

Nominally, anything that actually says what the reader/reviewer thought, enjoyed, connected with, etc etc. If they liked it, telling me what they liked is better than "Hey this was great, update with more soon!" or some such, as I've received a few times. A review is a review, but some really are better than others in that respect.

Something like what I received from Aya/GossamerSilverglow a few days back really demonstrates the better review type - detailed, constructive, asking questions about things and posing suggestions for errors.

Nominally, anything that actually says what the reader/reviewer thought, enjoyed, connected with, etc etc. If they liked it, telling me what they liked is better than "Hey this was great, update with more soon!" or some such, as I've received a few times. A review is a review, but some really are better than others in that respect. Something like what I received from Aya/GossamerSilverglow a few days back really demonstrates the better review type - detailed, constructive, asking questions about things and posing suggestions for errors.

A: A very good point got made in this post. So few people actually put the things they liked specifically into reviews that they send. Sometimes, I wonder why a reader will refrain from explaining the elements they enjoy. Many writers seem to have this specific frustration of not knowing the powerful elements that keep their readers involved with the story. The please update with more version does seem to be the normal variety of positive feedback reviewers give to writers.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Diizoid, but I have a few things that I really wish people would point out and not just let that egg sit on my face.

I have a very descriptive (occasionally florid or over-worked) prose style, that sometimes can get in the way of my plot. I know this about myself, so I try to keep it in mind when editing (I ask myself things like 'Does it matter what precise shade of purple her shirt is?' and 'Can I just say deep purple instead of aubergine?'). But I know that I'm human, and I slip up. One of the best con crits for me is when someone says "this sentence right here, you need to trim that back to under a paragraph." I also have issues with continuity, and because that's also a huge pet peeve when others do it, I like to be reminded when I inadvertently re-name a character. Same issue with not using contractions.