Click Here!

The question of what makes people review, ...again

attackegg

So I'm aware that getting reviews is a thing that has been discussed before- but usually, the distinction is made from one author to another, or one story to another, and I feel like what I'm looking at is a different angle.

I am currently writing an original story that has... fairly dark themes. There is a fair bit of death, and the main character gets raped and outed as gay to his community, all in one fell swoop in the prologue- it's a bit gruesome, and I can understand that it doesn't draw as much enthusiasm as my fluffier story. Still, that chapter got four reviews.

For chapters two and three, there haven't been any. And that's led to me wondering what it is, exactly, that makes people review or not- bad writing aside, you know, because my writing isn't likely to have changed that much from one chapter to another.

-The main character takes to hunting and killing rapists (and if you think that's a bit extreme: I'm aware. The story is called Berserk. ;P) I don't think it's the violence itself that puts people off, because there was a fair bit of it in the prologue- but maybe that was okay because it was only the antagonists or out of self-defense? Maybe people are having a problem with a protagonist who actively kills others.

-There was sex in the prologue, and there hasn't been any, since. I really hope that has nothing to do with it, because that was rape, or as Whoopi Goldberg would say, "rape rape", and seriously not meant to be sexy.

-The story is about how the events of that night affect the main character for years to come, how it hurts his relationship. The prologue has some tender moments between the main character and his sweetheart, but the story itself takes place years later and there's currently zero tenderness happening.

-He's pretty much hit rock bottom. He hates everything. But he's not being delicate and tragic, but crude and hateful.

So my question to you is the following: What kind of thing have you noticed to get reactions? Is it several? Do all of them have to be present; is one of them good enough, do some outweigh the others? If you wanted to write a story with the sole intent of maximizing your review count, what would you do, plot- and writing wise? I've noticed that stories that have nothing but misery and rape in them will still garner reviews, whereas the NoSex tag will stop people from even clicking on the story.

Thoughts?

Edited by attackegg

I've been letting this ruminate in the back of my mind, and I honestly think that the most surefire way to get reviews or reactions of any kind is to stick to the more popular fandoms and fill the story with sex, no matter how improbable or unlikely, particularly slash.

There are authors here, both in Originals and in various fandoms, who are extraordinarily gifted writers. They create memorable characters and vivid settings, and if it's a fandom, they strive to bring a unique perspective. And yet they get little to no reviews. Maybe they don't cater to the "in" pairings, or maybe they would rather write about a heterosexual couple. Maybe no one gets raped, kidnapped, sold into slavery or transformed into a demon/vampire/werewolf.

Dame Barbara Cartland wrote to a formula, and even when her initially "racy" novels became "tame" with the changing morals of the times, she was still intensely popular. She found something that appealed to a wide range of readers, and she stuck with it. As far as I can tell, if you can come up with a young boy who's been kidnapped and sold into slavery and then loses his virginity to his gay demon/vampire/werewolf owner-cum-lover, you're on the way to review heaven. If you can make it work in one of the more popular fandoms, not only can you hit review heaven, you can later edit it into an original work and publish it to great acclaim.

::removes tongue from cheek and saunters back off into dignified obscurity::

I agree with BW. In this arena, the popularity of the fandom, pairing, kink, etc., really does affect the number and quality of reviews.

I try to be a good reader and review when I am drawn to click on a story, no matter the fandom or pairing, but sometimes readers just don't know what to say.

I don't write, but I can tell you from what I see when I read (as I have time for that, not so much anymore :(). Fandom is honestly very important as to how many reviews a story will get. It's a pity, but there it is. The 'verse which started this archive gets less reviews than just about any other subdomain. Why? Because it's old. Same for my OTHER fave to haunt (LotR). Yet, IMO some of the best writers I've had the pleasure to read started in Buffy 'verse or writing elf slash. In fact, a good many of 'em have gone on to be picked up by publishers, and published. So, when I actually DO make the time to read, I make a point of leaving a review. Particularly seeing as what I tend to read doesn't get much in the way of reviews at all, due to being in old fandoms.

...Oooh! off topic trivia! I only recall the site back to when it already had all of the catagories, but before it was split to subdomains, what was the original 'verse? Was it dear old Buffy? Kinda funny, AFF and tvtropes both growing outa the same fandom :D

Also, yeah, further to previous, my multipart stories seemed to draw more reviews than oneshots mostly. One exception being a oneshot in a ridiculously popular fandom.

demon/vampire/werewolf.

Oooohhhh excellent point. I forgot about those!

popularity of the fandom, pairing,
Fandom is honestly very important

D'oh- I don't know why fandom and pairing didn't even occur to me. I mean I don't write fanfiction, but that one's sort of obvious. >.>

if you can come up with a young boy who's been kidnapped and sold into slavery and then loses his virginity to his gay demon/vampire/werewolf owner-cum-lover, you're on the way to review heaven.

Hypothetical question, but if I wanted my inbox to go supernova, what fandom and pairing would you suggest? ;P

edit:

my multipart stories seemed to draw more reviews than oneshots mostly.

Same here, but that one kind of makes sense to me in a not-fangirl way; a oneshot wraps up at the end. I mean even if you make people care about the characters, the story is resolved by the end; in an ongoing story people not only have more time to get properly invested in the characters, but are also left wondering and hoping and fearing and, hopefully, thinking about the story until the next update. You can end a chapter in the middle of an intense scene, and being emotional is conducive to leaving reviews. At least for me.

Edited by attackegg

Yeah, it does certainly make sense - as well as what you've said, on AFF at least, the new chapters put the story back to the front page of the sub domain/the story section, meaning that there's more chance of readers seeing it and getting into the ongoing adventures! Not me though - I'm probably a hypocrite but I try (and sometimes fail) not to start reading multiparters until they are finished these days. I don't like missing the ending if someone stops writing through time/lack of interest/lack of motivation/attack by egg rabid camel :(

Yep, AFF started life as a buffy archive :)

Awesome. And maybe the new Hobbit movie will give LOTR fandom a jumpstart amongst fans of the hairy toed :)

you've said, on AFF at least, the new chapters put the story back to the front page of the sub domain/the story section, meaning that there's more chance of readers seeing it and getting into the ongoing adventures!

I've said that, haven't I.

...Stalker.

kidding

I try (and sometimes fail) not to start reading multiparters until they are finished these days.

...so I have this really nice COMPLETE Original Fiction where I tried to explore someone's realistic reaction to the old "kidnapped by the mob" premise... ;P

attack by egg

I was going to be all I DON'T BITE. But I actually do!

Edited by attackegg

I've said that, haven't I.

...Stalker.

kidding

Damn my poor grammar! I meant approximate;y "as well as what you've said in the post above with regards the review spawning benfits of multiparters, I also feel the following reason [front page re-exposure] is a reason for multiparts getting reviews"

I probably ought to have a beta reader for my forum posts.