Click Here!

the chick fil a discussion

Okay so if you havent heard, Dan Cathy who is the president of Chick Fil a said he doesnt approve same sex marriage. Now everyone is either protesting or boycotting Chick Fil a. One company even pulled their toys from them because of his comments. here is a link to one of the many stories about it:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/27/us/chick-fil-a-controversy/index.html?eref=rss_mostpopular

Now I approve of same sex marriages and all but i dont see the point of boycotting or protesting infront of any resturants. Everyone has their own opinions and whatnot and I am sure everyone that works for Chick Fil-a does or doesn't agree with Dan Cathy. I many not agree with what he said but I will not make the company suffer for one mans stupid comment. I will continue to eat there.

So I was just wondering what you all thought of this.

I won't weigh in, but I will remind anyone that posts to this topic that hate mongering and/or flaming is strictly prohibited. If you are going to discuss, please ensure you remain polite and respectful to all when voicing your opinion!

I don't like chicken. On a serious note, I feel like that was a really dumb thing to say from a business perspective.

It was his opinion, now to be honest I'm looking up the context in which it came out. Just because it's not a popular opinion doesn't make it invalid or wrong per say. You don't have to like milk or a color but that's not the end of the world.

Yes, it seems some people were offended. Good, they do need to exercise that right but they can't police the thoughts of others. If you choose to not support a business because of company policies fine. If because of how they feel, that's your prerogative. Although, I sadly feel that the majority of the LGBT protesters have in the past been their own worst enemies. To want to be equal in the eyes of the law is good. Forcing everyone to like you and what you do behind closed doors is another thing. There's nothing wrong with not agreeing with everyone. It seems that the world has forgotten that at times. That freedom goes both ways.

EDIT:

Okay, seems that the original statement came from an interview for a religious publication. Yes, it was in context for the values the owner upholds. Bully for him, don't be afraid to think and feel what you will. However, it doesn't mean you won't get served or hired if you don't completely agree with him.

Guy has an opinion. I have an opinion. I also have an asshole. I do believe most human beings do... They all stink.

"I may not agree with a word you say, but I will defend your right to say it."

That should sum it up. Can we get that quote republished across the country again? It's obvious they need to read it.

Edited by Hopebringer Jem

I believe that the Chik-fil-a issue has been blown out of proportion by not only the people, but also the media. All people are entitled to their opinion but it is up to the person receiving the message to understand if it is 'right' or 'wrong' due to their own moral codes. Gay Marriage is a huge issue across the board and multiple foundations that are against it (for example: Religious institutes, Urban Outfitters, Wal-Mart, Exxon Mobile, Salvation Army source ) have been boycotted against and havoc wrecked. It was now Chik-fil-a's turn to be in the hot seat.

Why? Because of his [Cathy's] opinion, to which he is entitled. Not everyone is all hunky-dorry about Gray Marriage, and should also have that right to state their opinion when asked. To me, it looks like a political mud slinging war except with humans rights (which we've had plenty recently, especially with other issues including birth control and abortion trying to be outlawed). I'm sure not many have heard of how much the LDS church was against gay marriage, or the THOUSANDS of dollars they donated against gay marriage for Prop8 in California. So what makes Chik-fil-a so different for the other organizations donated against gay marriage? Nothing.

I think the whole issue was handled like a child throwing a tantrum. They're against gay marriage, so what? That's their opinion and right to be against it. Not everyone believes the same thing, which is called diversity! Without diversity, we'd all be the same mindless clones. So, what is it people expect? All these ideas of wanting to be 'equal' yet being a hypocrite when someone expresses their rights. If you don't like it, then don't support it.

When I find out that a company or corporation is against something I find morally unethical, I stop supporting that company. I don't make a HUGE deal out of it, drag it through the media, or take pictures of myself protesting/eating at company.

The only issue I was a little irritated about was the lie about the Jim Henson Company by Chik-fil-a claiming the toys were recalled due to them being unsafe for children. Why not be truthful and state the Henson Company does not want to do business with Chik-fil-a due to their opinion?

On a business perspective, it was a bad move. I wouldn't have brought my personal opinion to light, but ironically it worked in their favor (their company got media attention, and sales rose due to the 'war' of protest/supporting the company).

But when it comes down to it, I think this media war was used to get people's minds focused on that instead of real issues at hand. There are other issues that people should be standing up against instead of over a company donating or opinion. What about current bills or executive orders being passed under our noses? Has anyone heard or read about the UN Gun Control Treaty? What about the health care issues? Or the woman's right issues going on in America right now? What about the next Presidential election?

Interesting Sources or Links:

Gun Control Treaty

Chik-fil-a Opinion Blog