Click Here!

Lack of reviews.

Solaris

Lack of reviews - like them or hate them?  

158 members have voted

1. 1. Lack of reviews - like them or hate them?

• I hate them, makes me want to pull my stories!
    • I love what reviews I got from my readers even if there isn't many.
    • I don't really mind, as long as people read my stories.

I would do more reviews if they didnt have the stupid human checker thing at the bottom... Ill write a review and then I can't find two letters that I can actually read

I will also point out that it has a "refresh" option if you can't read the words (I don't mean the one at the top of your browser) and it has an audio option if you can't read the words.

This image is from our FAQ here - I'll copy the pertinent info:

recaptcha2.png

The outlined icons are tools for the recaptcha utility.

Starting from the top:

refresh - this will regenerate the code displayed that the user inputs. Useful for when recaptcha puts up words that are difficult to see. Simply click until it gives you something you can work with to input.

sound/audio challenge - this generates a sound file to with a series of words to type in, instead of displaying the graphic to type in. This can be replayed.

help - this opens up a help screen about recaptcha

So, really, it is user friendly, and a good means of verifying that the input is not coming from a bot.

while it might be a pain and I spend my fair amount of time cussing, it beats the last spam attack we got of over 1000 stories in multiple archives that were nothing but spam in a matter of hours. Yeah, I remember that spam attack and having literally tons of pages to go through to find actual stories (this was before I was a mod and the reason that recapta came into being on the site). It's eaten a fair share of my reviews, I'll admit to that, but I type them up in my word processing program anyway the paste over. This one, though me and it have no fondness for each other, is far better than that POS custom one Yahell has or a couple others I've seen. You might complain that some are easier but you need to remember that they are either custom written code (like for ff.net) cost money to put on. So, rather than have to deal with what we did in the past, I'd rather deal with recapta and refresh when i can't read something it kicks out to me.

Them and their damn custom crap!

My two cents:

1) If you are an author, you have to use them to post a story. So if you can use them to post a story that you (I assume) want other people to review, then don't use the reCAPTCHA as an excuse as to why you don't leave a review.

2) Yes, they are annoying. Yes, they suck. Yes, I hate it too. But I don't have anywhere near the number of staff needed to sweep the archive daily instead of weekly for spam etc and remove it, so it stays. As Rogue pointed out, refresh is always an option (Cause sometimes it takes a couple to find a decent one) or just C&P the review.

Bottom line - the one we have is the best free option out there that has an audio option for our visually impaired users and doesn't require flash/java to use. If people want to pony up the several hundred dollars needed to get the best paid option that is a comparable in terms of stopping the spambots and has those features, please, let me know and we'll see what we can find!

• 1 month later...

OK, I found the thread I was looking for. Just earlier tonight I was very depressed, seeing the large number of hits my 5 day-old story got compared to its lack of reviews, & to be honest I just wanted to delete my whole AFF account & leave. I'm still doubting my desire to post anything else, which I would have to type directly here for nothing. I get more support, guidance & encouragement on my personal fanfic blog where not nearly that many people read my stuff, who are not at all obliged to encourage me but still do. I also see fics that have been here for ages (excellent ones) boasting thousands of hits and (maybe) 1 or 2 reviews. WTH?

Yes, I can definitely see the bitterness & frustration of those who leave the (asked-for) reviews & then get chewed out &/or reported for their honest concrit & no longer wish to deal with that. Authors who behave like that instead of honestly considering what the reviewer said & using that advice to improve their writing are immature, unprofessional, & ruin it for those of us who would be thrilled with some honest reviews, pointing out both the positive & negative points of our writing. If the author doesn't want honest opinions, why do they publish their work to begin with instead of just keeping it to themselves? A writer who writes to have their ego stroked is doing so for a very poor reason & misses the point entirely. I don't agree with what the person who directed me here said about the cause being my older, less popular fandom, because those who read it in the first place are part of that fandom. So, cutting to the chase, I can clearly see both POVs. Isn't there some system that could be put into place where the author must indicate & take responsability for whether or not they want honest feedback so that both authors and readers can share the stories, advice & opinions that are an important part of the art of any type of writing? Just being 18 y.o. or + does not mean 'adult' in my eyes. The 'Adult' part of 'Adult FanFiction' should not only signify graphic sex & violence, but the maturity that must accompany it. To quote one of the heros of my own fandom, humility means sacrificing one's pride to keep one's dignity. If something is worth doing, is it not worth doing well? Unfortunately, on our archived stories we have no way of letting readers see the difference. No one is telepathic, & as the poll shows, I have a hard time believing that writers don't care that they don't get reviews. A writer who can't take criticism has no place in a public writing site, what else can be said? I must say that I'm finding my experience here very disappointing, and am beginning to doubt that I'll stick around.

Just as a quibble, and I'll apologize in advance for being in a quibbling state of mind, the "Adult" in our site's name does not mean that every story has to contain sex, graphic or otherwise, or violence. There are mature themes that don't necessary translate as sexual or violent. They're equally welcome here, and we even have a NoSex tag for those who can't live without it. We also allow original fiction as well as fan fiction, meaning I don't need to deal with publishing my work on multiple sites because I don't always write fan fiction.

We're not all here to write graphic content. Some of us just want the freedom to write our stories as they evolve, without worrying about scarring the psyches of 13 year old users, and without worrying about being plagiarized, flamed or otherwise abused. I began here as an author, and volunteered as a way to support a site that respects the dignity of authors.

I'm going to put my 2 cents in here. Something that absolutely SLAYS me is I'll see (and this is on ANY SITE I've visited) absolute and utter hacks getting a ton of reviews. Why? Because it's done by the fanpoodling minions, that's why. Whereas I'll see a helluva story get nothing at all, for a long time, because the author either writes in an obscure fandom, or an old fandom. Yet, when they finally get noticed as they should, they will get some nice reviews.

Going back to the flame problem when one gives actual concrit:

Again, this is supposed to be a site for adults, not children. That means that as adults, we shouldn't stoop to sending people after someone who takes the time and makes a real effort to give you what you ask for. You don't want concrit, don't ask for it. Don't waste a reviewer's time that way.

OK, I found the thread I was looking for. Just earlier tonight I was very depressed, seeing the large number of hits my 5 day-old story got compared to its lack of reviews, & to be honest I just wanted to delete my whole AFF account & leave. I'm still doubting my desire to post anything else, which I would have to type directly here for nothing. I get more support, guidance & encouragement on my personal fanfic blog where not nearly that many people read my stuff, who are not at all obliged to encourage me but still do. I also see fics that have been here for ages (excellent ones) boasting thousands of hits and (maybe) 1 or 2 reviews. WTH?

I'm going to say this honestly... if you are here to get reviews, get out now. This isn't the place to do that. Some fandoms, especially those that cater to younger beings, get those no matter what craptastic, unreadable BS you put up but most of the fandoms don't get the kind of thing you are looking for, especially the older ones. Some stories, ones that have gone on forever, do get such things but newer ones from authors people don't know tend to not get the mega-hits or review counts. However, though reviews might be scarce as hen's teeth, that doesn't mean what you do get doesn't mean anything. Hell, I have a multitude of stories on this site that have been up for years that have no reviews. A few even came down to be published, and I don't mean self-published either, though they had no reviews on this site. Lack of reviews means nothing. It means that people aren't reviewing for their own reasons. You also need to take into account the concept of review karma, meaning the more YOU review, the more apt you are to get them in return. It does tend to work that way.

Reviews are an odd thing. As so many have pointed out, many stories that get mega hits, reviews and rates aren't worth it and you wonder if those that did that read the same one you did while really good ones don't get such things. It just goes that way on all sites I've seen.

In closing, I'll say this... if you like what you're doing and do it for your own reason, what difference do reviews make to you anyway?

I'm glad I found this thread. I wrote a bit of a rant on my bio in the archive section regarding this very thing shortly after I made an account. I've also recently emailed with a new author to AFF about it after she contacted me regarding a review I left (that she liked).

I found that my viewpoint has morphed over the short time I've spent on AFF. I started out very indignant about the "lack of reviews" and decided to set an example by reviewing everything I read. I even soapboxed in a review about other non-reviewers. I didn't flame anyone, though, because if I didn't like the story within about 9 paragraphs, I'd leave without a review.

Then I decided to write, for the first time. I figured that I should experience the other side for my reviews to be of any real value. I discovered the need and joy of getting reviewed. I lucked out because the fact that I had made an effort to review others, some returned the favour. This only fuelled my resolve to continue to review the stories I like. I had a momentary lapse of self-pity that some of the authors that I reviewed religiously, and was sometimes the only reviewer, had not honoured me with their opinion. However, I'm not upset anymore that others do not. Not everyone is in my headspace, feeling a responsiblity to support my fellow amateur writers.

I'm here to express my creativity, a facet of my being that has been neglected for decades, and I'm happy not to be an expert or genius, but maybe I can give someone else a smile, someone whose not too picky that I'm not very professional. If I get one review, especially from someone whose writing I respect and enjoy, it's worth it. A single review means that you shared with someone, not much different than talking with friend or coworker and getting a response for your effort. That is why I won't be discouraged and will continue to write and review as much as I'm compelled to.

While I really don't get why its hard to leave a review, I've accepted that situation as it is. Ranting doesn't change it. I never have a recaptcha problem. I always copy before I attempt and have only had it fail a couple of times, though my review didn't disappear. I even think that some of nonsense words are funny and worth exploring what their meaning could be. Has there been a topic on that?

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think I have posted in here yet, but even if I have, I am again.

I'm in the camp that falls under "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all."

I can be rather blunt when it comes to people, so I tent to stay quiet when it comes to reviewing a story I really did dislike, to the point of clicking the little back arrow that has been a saviour for me.

I have one regular reviewer on one of my newer fics on here, that has been there since I posted it in July this year, and they have put up with my flakey postings, and the plot holes, rambling sentences (sort of like this one... ish.. I think).

She points out the flaws I missed when writing it originally, and I put all that into a pot in my head marked "To keep looking into" that gets bigger and bigger each time I post one of the chapters on there.

I'm not one to expect a review, I think I get one per 3 or 4 chapters on average which I really don't mind. The ones I do dislike on the other hand are the ones that say "UPDATE TODAY!" type of ones I get mostly on the Pit.

When it comes to reviews, I used to be hurt to hardly get any when I first started on out FF.Net (at about age 12 or 13). But then, as I grew and got older I started noticing how when I did get reviews, they would influence my writing. Instead of writing for me, I was writing to please my readers which would change the entire plot/tone of my story in a direction I didn't like. So I quit.

Years later, I've come back with a different perspective: I don't care about reviews. Sure, they're great to get or know that someone is enjoying your writing, but I'm not going to let reviews or the number I get put me in a down place. I use writing to getting away from the real world, as hobby, a way to express myself during difficult times. My feelings, thoughts and emotions comes out in my characters when I write since I've experienced what they have.

Now, I'm writing for me; not my readers, not my reviewers. You get what I give you. It may sound a little harsh but it's honest.

When I do get reviews, I favor those that aren't afraid to speak their mind and point out errors. I love criticism and tips for improvement. That's why when I review, I tend to be the same way by helping the author improve if they'd like.

• 3 months later...

I really appreciate this thread! I was a little worried about the small amount of reviews on one of my stories, but from what I've read here, it seems like a common phenomenon and I don't need to stress over it. I guess for me, the act of writing itself is more rewarding than any reviews I get. It's insanely exciting to see the vision in my head turn into a story that people actually read, whether they enjoy it or not.

I guess for me, the act of writing itself is more rewarding than any reviews I get. It's insanely exciting to see the vision in my head turn into a story that people actually read, whether they enjoy it or not.

I totally get that. Your written creation is like a "mini-me" and I get tickled at reading my own stuff when I feel I've done it just right. Then, I really want to share it but, damn, that means someone other than me is going to read it! What if they don't feel the same as I do? It's a shitty dilemma. To share or not to share, not just the story, but the feelings. I want others to know my joy and feel their own, but there's no frickin' guarantee so you just have to plug your nose and jump. Scary and thrilling, sometimes disappointing, maybe even crushing. Meh, I just move on to the next chapter, and start all over again.

I totally get that. Your written creation is like a "mini-me" and I get tickled at reading my own stuff when I feel I've done it just right. Then, I really want to share it but, damn, that means someone other than me is going to read it! What if they don't feel the same as I do? It's a shitty dilemma. To share or not to share, not just the story, but the feelings. I want others to know my joy and feel their own, but there's no frickin' guarantee so you just have to plug your nose and jump. Scary and thrilling, sometimes disappointing, maybe even crushing. Meh, I just move on to the next chapter, and start all over again.

It's really hard for me to have people IRL read and critique my writing. As a college student, it was so hard to see my professors critique research proposals, etc but ultimately, my writing improved after I edited my work accordingly. I'm a really sensitive person, but also very judgemental of my work, and I always strive for perfection. It's an unfortunate combination that I am constantly working to overcome. I didn't realize until the past year that I am also very judgemental of others, and now I have to be very careful about revealing my opinions to others. Often I have no idea I'm offending someone, and apologize before I say something just to be safe. My cousin is constantly telling me to use my "inside voice" - that is, keep quiet. It's hard but I'm getting better at it slowly.

I really like AFF because I can get relatively anonymous feedback. That way, I don't take comments personally.

• 1 month later...
I'm a really sensitive person, but also very judgemental of my work, and I always strive for perfection. It's an unfortunate combination that I am constantly working to overcome. I didn't realize until the past year that I am also very judgemental of others, and now I have to be very careful about revealing my opinions to others.

I think most of us are in the same boat here. We feel offended with opinions and we struggle to express opinions without offending. >_< We artists are such balanced people!

But I must say that I don't agree whole-heartedly with everything that's been said. I rarely review-

-Don't pummel me before I've finished-!

-and when I do review I PM them. Well most of them if the option is there. And if I don't feel like I am annoying them. And they were recently online. And... oh whatever I PM them! Okay?

My own opinion is, and please this is my opinion you may pummel me with apples should you feel the need, is that if you write an in depth review it is for the authors eyes only. The reason why I feel like this is because my own experience has had me cross paths with people who take GREAT satisfaction in telling you exactly what is wrong with your story, with an attitude that can't be called rude but definately 'Better than thou' This has thankfully not happened on AFF though but people are very sparse with reviews at the same time :)

This 'better than thou' attitude has led me to believe that some reviewers review to get attention for themselves, and to show off how good they are. And awesome and smart and pretty and.... *sigh* it makes me feel inadquet for some reason. :(

It also curbs that 'I need reviews to show how good my story is' bug. Because the person gets an indepth (well as deep as I can go with my choop wings) idea of his story and doesn't feel like the mistakes are being broadcasted all over the world. My opinion as I stated >_>

So personally I don't mind if people don't review. Because I don't always review myself. I appreciate it whole-heartedly, like seriously I go nuts, and if they review my story I will review theirs. But... I would rather send a PM if I can rather than posting it on the story. And if they request I will happily post something on the story itself, which will still be honest but not glaringly pointing out the faults. AFF does not offer PM's and I'm not comfortable with sending it to the forums because not everyone is active on them, so they might miss it.

Right. I get the idea alot of people are glaring at me and hankering to throw the very sharp objects they are holding O_o...

*Puts on armor and helmet*

Proceed to beat me into oblivion!

::chuckles:: I promise not to pummel anyone.

I'm going to speak strictly as an author here, and not as staff, so keep that in mind.

I love reviews. I love the quick "That was great!" reviews, and I love when someone takes the time to leave a long and thoughtful review chock full of the kind of concrit that will make me improve as a writer. I like to know what works, and I like to know what doesn't, because I'm not suffering from the delusion that I'm awesome. I'm good, but I can be better. Lots better.

Now, I don't care if you want to leave me a quick line, and then come chat on my review thread. That's wonderful, and I'd love to hear the concrit portion there. I'm fine with forum PMs, too. But the whole point is that I like to know I'm not just wanking here. I like to know people are reading, and I like to know how they reacted to what I wrote.

I don't always have a lot of time to leave long reviews, but I'll try to at least say something if I take the time to read a story. If I get the feeling an author wants real dialogue, as opposed to just pats and squeals of delight, I'm happy to chat more. That's how I've met some marvelous people.

I won't fanpoodle, though. That is just beneath me, and anyone over the age of twelve, actually. You want blind adoration, get a dog. I'm more of a dragon myself. :D

Hi all. Seems like a lot of folks get upset when it comes to reviews, or rather lacking in receiving them. I've done my best to give feed back to the other writers in the Initial D section I'm adding tales to, but due to having vision problems, I can't always read the stupid captcha to actively leave a review I have typed up. If I can't get something clear enough to make sense of, the review won't take. Could this be one of the biggest reasons for the lack of reviews everyone seems to have? Once I get frustrated enough I give up.

I use the control + symbol a lot from my Firefox browser to increase the stories to an easier readable size. However, Captcha does not get bigger when I try that trick to leave a review. :( I know it has frustrated me personally. I wonder if other older people who love to read a lot are having a similar problem to me. Us granny types can't help having bad eyes. :) When possible I leave reviews qhen one of the kids are around to tell me the captcha so I can go back and leave a review whenever possible.

My series of completed stories are going into a very small archive that only has two pages worth of stories which I am doing my level best to turn into 3 pages by loading a fully revised copy of all my completed stories from another site. I know I have had lots of trouble leaving reviews when I can't always get a captcha I can read and type in, so I don't actively expect many reviews. I look at the hit counts and use that to measure whether people are enjoying the story. All I can say is I wish there was some kind of chapter break down for the hit counts so I'd know whether the story is read through to the end or not.

I think if I had a way to tell if a story gets read all the way through, it means people like it. IF it is not, then I know it has flaws. If it has flaws, I'll need to look for an editor of sorts. :) IS there something in the works that might address that kind of ego booster?

Recaptcha does have an audio feature, although I've never tried it.

As a blind-as-a-bat presbyopic old broad myself, I squint at the damned thing frequently. One trick I use is to copy my reviews before I try to post them. If Recaptcha decides to be difficult, I can simply paste my review and try again.

As far as hits by chapter, I know it's not possible now, and I doubt that it will be possible even with the new code. One way to know for sure is to post a chapter at a time, on a schedule, and see if the hit counts increase on a fairly consistent basis. :)

Great! I appreciate the helpful tips. It was making me a bit crazy that I could not easily post reviews. I'll see if I can figure out where the sound button is located on that dratted recaptcha box. :) If I can get that working then my troubles are solved when my eyes don't want to work. Thanks so very much.