Click Here!

Lack of reviews.

Solaris

Lack of reviews - like them or hate them?  

158 members have voted

1. 1. Lack of reviews - like them or hate them?

• I hate them, makes me want to pull my stories!
    • I love what reviews I got from my readers even if there isn't many.
    • I don't really mind, as long as people read my stories.

That's how i got my beta. Or rather the reverse. I Had a good reviewer always left good comments but also ended up saying; 'please, please! let me beta this for you.'

Lol. 'cos while people seem to like my characterisation; my typing is just atrocious.

Actually, Daye, I was talking about basic issues such as typos, not capitalizing and things like that, not huge, story changing or rewriting issues. These are things most of of go DOH! Alright, let's go fix kinda things. And most of them will tell you they have no beta so these are the kinds of things people want pointed out so they can be fixed. The other stuff is something else entirely.

Wow, ok then, No idea why people wouldn't fix that kind of thing then,

Edited by Daye

Daye: I have also done the same for an author of promise, as someone once did for me. She's still a great friend, if not an active FF friend.

unkeen to start throwing chips to the seagulls while I'm starving for a feed myself.

It's true, at first, when I was getting one review per chapter (and those always from the same person!) I wasn't entirely sympathetic to other people wanting them- especially if those people had reviews in the double digits! I've become a tiny bit nicer, since then, but that may be due to more reviews rather than any improvement of my personality. :P

This is where I often see on cleanup the review that says "You might be best served to obtain a beta. As is, this piece is somewhat difficult to read."

And, honestly, that review is enough.

On my good days, I try. On my bad days, I think, "If you can't even be arsed to click SPELLCHECK, then I can't be arsed to type even just the word 'beta'". That's a mentality that I don't understand.

heaven help you if you walk into one of the larger fandoms and read a story by an author with a large fanbase and don't like something that author did.

There are days when I'm so glad I only hang around Original Fiction- at least without any fandom, people don't arrive at the doorstep foaming at the mouth already. What I see around there (behavior-wise, stories not necessarily -.-) seems pretty reasonable, both on the part of reviewers and of the authors. Is that also the impression of people who work behind the scenes?

Original fiction has its share of authors who are hellbent on garnering reviews, but for the most part, lack of a preexisting fandom does help. That's the mod opinion.

As an author who also writes Original submissions, there is the usual predisposition toward vampires, weres, and slash in that subdomain, and I've seen extremely good works get little to no attention because they don't fall into the more popular genres. On the other hand, it's utterly gratifying to write something that is entirely one's own work, so I consider it well worth it. :)

Being honest, attackegg, if those badly-spelled stories are on this archive from 2003-2005, then they may have garbled words because of wordord. That's part of what I (and all those on cleanup crew) do - find the wordord and post it up for DG to fix it.

If it's just laziness, well, I can't help but remember the one review I saw on a story a few months back:

http:// www. spellcheck. com

That was the whole review. Made me chuckle. :lol:

As to originals, well... I'm going to leave that alone.

I would like to add my opinion on this subject! :D First: I didn't vote in the poll because I can't select all three options: all of the options pretty much sum up how I feel! LOL

I love writing stories and because I am a selfish whore, I like to write to satisfy myself. After becoming familiar with fanfic and actually looking at what fandoms are popular, I came to the conclusion that although there are some great stories out there, the ongoing trend has been to write about pairings that the audience wants to hear about. I don't agree with this unless it is a collaborated work and even then, the preference should be between those two authors. Looking at my stories not getting any reviews makes me wonder a lot of things: am I THAT bad of a writer that no one wants to even grace me with the one review that suggests that I find another calling; maybe they are not interested in that fandom (but, then, why the hell did they click on the story in the first place: I KNOW that I made it clear what fandom this belongs to), maybe they don't like the pairing(s), is my OC too Mary Sue-ish, do they not like OCs (once again, I don't tag stuff for my health...), maybe the actual story is boring to them, maybe they're waiting for it to be complete before they review; these are the things that I worry/think about.

I may be one of the very few that's actually looking for concrit; I do like that my stories are at least getting hits but I have no clue whether these people are simply afraid to give out concrit or simply read the first sentence and said "F*ck this; I'm going to go rearrange my sock drawer..." (trust me... I have read a story that made me feel that rearranging a drawer would've been a more useful time waster than reading that story)! Now, this is not really a complaint about lack of reviews; I've stated numerous times in SB that I got more hits on a story in the few days I posted it here than I did in the whole entirety its been on that other site! I can't help but to want to know what the readers thought. When I finally got my first review on a story, I had to run and tell everyone in my household; I was THAT excited (although, their natural response was to simply pat me on the head and give me a brownie...)!

After reading what the vets had to say about not giving out reviews and their horror stories, it is very understandable why a lot of people don't leave reviews! I wouldn't want my head chopped off because I gave an honest review! I... can't remember where I was going with this so I'll end it there! LOL

WOW! I had no idea it was that bad. This is my first time back on this thread and I just read every post sense I left on. Now I sit shaking in my chair wondering when the attacks will come. I have been throwing around concrit like a mad man. May be I should go into hiding for a while. :safetocomeout:

I wanted to thank those who reviewed my stories so some I sent a pm and those who had stories of their own I read and reviewed which led to the worst review I have ever written:

"I wanted to thank you for your review of my Ben 10 story so I thought I would read and review your story, but I'm sorry I don't have anything good to say other than it wasn't bad. It was just... well I'll just say it. It was dull, nondescript, and generic. It had nothing to offer the reader. No descriptions of the scenery, of the girl, and nothing of their emotional state. It was almost sterile. Like being trapped in a room that was nothing more than a box with white walls a white floor and a white ceiling

Sorry I couldn't offer anything more and I sincerely hope this doesn’t come off as flaming I just wanted to give an honest opinion. Good luck with your next story."

Was that to much? Should I delete it or leave it and await the inevitable? :hitthefan:

I always thought that good or bad a review was a good thing. I have gotten reviews for my ben 10 story they were all good but the best ones were the ones that told me there was something wrong with my story. I was ecstatic and I rushed to fix what was pointed out. Then I got two reviews for my DBZ story they were short but sweet, but I love them all the same.

Then there is my Teen Titans story, the story I am working so hard on to get chapter 2 done for. 2500 his and still no reviews. All this time I've been thinking, "Wow what did I do wrong with this story. So I have been hunting for a review or a beta hoping to fix it and until recently I have had no luck Now I think I understand why. I really can't blame anyone for being reluctant to review someone who went looking for a review when you have had such bad experiences.

Anyway Slayit Realy tryed to help with my story AND I WANT TO THANK HER FOR TRYING, but she had no knowledge of the fandom. THANK YOU SLAYITALLDOWN.

Now I think I have gotten lucky with the new girl on the site (that is to say I got a beta that know my fandom) and I think things will work out.

As for reviewing maybe I should be more reserved? what do you think?

Edited by Aysha c.c.

Anyway Slayit Realy tryed to help with my story AND I WANT TO THANK HER FOR TRYING, but she had no knowledge of the fandom. THANK YOU SLAYITALLDOWN.

You're most welcome. I would love to help more but my ignorance is a complete burden. My enthusiasm in no way compensates for my woeful ignorance! :blush:

I could offer you some websites and articles that helped me with scene-building? Its one of the things I focus on in detail with original fiction as I'm so petrified of not being able to transport readers through the 'suspension of disbelief' to the make-believe world I want to tell them about that ironically, I can incorporate a setting to perfection in original fiction but tend to lose the art completely in fanfiction. I think it has something to do with (arrogance) thinking that the reader has to be a fan to read the story in the first place if they're reading it, by mentioning the setting they can envision it in their minds as they have literally seen it before!! But this is a very bad attitude to have and I am working on correcting it.

Best of luck with your new beta - they are hard to find so snuggle up close! :hug:

As for reviewing... rule of thumb, remember that authors are essentially are strangers, don't say anything you wouldn't want to hear and be as honest as possible? I try to use good manners and do the 'compliment sandwich' if I have to concrit... good advice can't be a bad thing but as we've learned here... they want reviews, we want reviews, do your best and hopefully good things will come of it!

So some people are sensitive and get sand in their vaginas about a little friendly advice... my philosophy is if you don't want sand up there, don't go to the beach!!

I wanted to thank those who reviewed my stories so some I sent a pm and those who had stories of their own I read and reviewed which led to the worst review I have ever written:

"I wanted to thank you for your review of my Ben 10 story so I thought I would read and review your story, but I'm sorry I don't have anything good to say other than it wasn't bad. It was just... well I'll just say it. It was dull, nondescript, and generic. It had nothing to offer the reader. No descriptions of the scenery, of the girl, and nothing of their emotional state. It was almost sterile. Like being trapped in a room that was nothing more than a box with white walls a white floor and a white ceiling

Sorry I couldn't offer anything more and I sincerely hope this doesn’t come off as flaming I just wanted to give an honest opinion. Good luck with your next story."

Was that to much? Should I delete it or leave it and await the inevitable? :hitthefan:

Now I think I have gotten lucky with the new girl on the site (that is to say I got a beta that know my fandom) and I think things will work out.

As for reviewing maybe I should be more reserved? what do you think?

Your review was fine. I've left "worse" on stories. It wasn't a flame, and if they do attack you, report it. DG doesn't take kindly to childish behavior on an adult site, and she won't put up with it.

As for reviewing... rule of thumb, remember that authors are essentially are strangers, don't say anything you wouldn't want to hear and be as honest as possible? I try to use good manners and do the 'compliment sandwich' if I have to concrit... good advice can't be a bad thing but as we've learned here... they want reviews, we want reviews, do your best and hopefully good things will come of it!

That's good advice. I'll admit that sometimes, a 'compliment sandwich' is hard to do with some stories. Some people use a rule of two things good, two things that can improve. Again, some stories just don't lend themselves to that type of review. If nothing else, a comment to the originality of the plot idea, or to good structure ... If the technical is good, but the delivery is in need of improvement, I try to tell them that. Let them know they've got promise, skill, but their product is just a bit off.

Some authors appreciate knowing that, as when they're just starting out as writers, they want the advice on how to sculpt this craft. They've found a new tool in their kit, and they know the mechanics of how it works, but not quite how to use all the extra features that are advertised.

I've had authors flipping their proverbial shit over nicer reviews.

[insert rant about spoiled, self-entitled authors who think they deserve nothing but praise]

I have to say, I had one reviewer elsewhere who did the good, the bad and the ugly when he reviewed. He was harsh, exacting, and almost universally hated, and the first time he left me a review I read it twice, re-read my chapter and PM'd him to discuss some of what he'd said because it was utterly valid.

I wound up actually enjoying verbally fencing with him, and while there were times I disagreed with his critiques as being purely opinion and therefore inherently a matter of personal bias, he made me think and grow as a writer. He could have been nicer, and he wasn't nearly as good a writer as he was a reviewer, but there was gold in his criticism.

So, if I got a review like the one above, I'd re-read my chapter or story, and try to see it from the perspective of the reviewer. Even if I didn't agree fully, I can almost bet there'd be something in that review that would help me improve. Then again, I'm serious about writing, and I'm serious about improving my writing.

But the idea of sandwiching concrit between layers of positive comments is a good one as a general rule of thumb. People are always more receptive if they don't feel defensive, and criticism tends to make us defensive, doesn't it?

Original fiction has its share of authors who are hellbent on garnering reviews, but for the most part, lack of a preexisting fandom does help. That's the mod opinion.

Hmm yes I've seen some of that- on the whole, though, I find that the people who beg and plead for reviews are still at least fairly nice about it, and that doesn't bother me. I've only seen one instance of someone getting testy and condescending about quantity and quality of their reviews (I, uh, wasn't very nice in my response...).

there is the usual predisposition toward vampires, weres, and slash in that subdomain, and I've seen extremely good works get little to no attention because they don't fall into the more popular genres.

Ahhh yes I wish there were fewer vampires and demons around...

it's utterly gratifying to write something that is entirely one's own work, so I consider it well worth it.

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes-!

Being honest, attackegg, if those badly-spelled stories are on this archive from 2003-2005, then they may have garbled words because of wordord. That's part of what I (and all those on cleanup crew) do - find the wordord and post it up for DG to fix it.

Is that where you have the word, and then part of the word repeated right after it? I've seen that before, should I tell someone about it?

I don't mean garbled words, I mean flat out disregard for anything resembling coherent spelling and punctuation, sometimes even in the summary. Needless to say, I don't click on those. :/

Is that where you have the word, and then part of the word repeated right after it? I've seen that before, should I tell someone about it?

Nah - we're on it. It just takes us a bit to get to all 8+ GB of the database. ;)

I don't mean garbled words, I mean flat out disregard for anything resembling coherent spelling and punctuation, sometimes even in the summary. Needless to say, I don't click on those. :/

:lol: Can't say as I blame you there.

• 1 month later...

This makes me feel awkward. I sign off all of my chapters with "Read, Review and Enjoy" but it is purely a signature and isn't so much begging for reviews. Maybe it was when I started posting that, it was a really long time ago in my world. Now, however, it's just how I sign things.

In reality it tends to come down to, I dun care. If I get reviews or not, it is something that I've written. I've had stories "go poorly" (ie, get few hits, reviews and ratings) and I've continued on with them despite the fewer than "average" (for me) of anything in particular. My favourite stories tend to be the ones that do poorly, oddly enough.

That all being said. I still do a little dance every time I get a review. :blush:

Edited by Ayato

I don't mind short reviews. Most of the ones I get are like that, but when I see that those are only kind I'm getting, it's aggravating. How I am supposed to know what I'm doing right/wrong if people don't voice what they found was great and what wasn't? I can't improve if I only get glowing reviews, and I know well enough that I'm not the best writer out there; I see my mistakes but have no idea who to fix them. What really bothers me more though, this may be slighlty off topic, is when a story has 1000 rweviews and it's pure garbage. Like unreadable-I-can't-get-past-the-frist-chapter-becuase-it's-so-bad kind of thing. And not just because of preference; it's because the writer has no idea what the hell they are doing! FF.net has an abundance of thse it seems, and it saddens me that people who actually put some work into their fics and pour their heart out get left in the dust for these...trolls? Or just the people who write PWP, though I don't care about that most of the time as smut is fine with me. I mean the people who have a good fic, then insert random sex scenes everywhere because they think it's edgy and cool. More so if it's anatomically impossible sex or anything of the like.

That's just my two cents though.

• 3 weeks later...

Some of my stories get a decent amount of reviews. Some don't. It's difficult to gauge whether or not people like the direction of the plot when they resort to rating alone, because they could have considered it a 5 in the beginning but changed their mind later on. It's very frustrating, but I try not to pull my fics because I, too, am guilty of reading something without leaving any feedback. The only request I'd think to make would concern the content of a review. I'd rather have 1 lengthy review (good or bad) than 100 short reviews (zomgggg update plzz xoxoxox).

But as long as people are still reading, I'll keep writing.

:P