Click Here!

BBQ's, Fireworks & Hazy Summer Days

Well, it has been a busy month here at AFF! I apologize in advance, but there is a lot to cover – I’ll try to keep it succinct but informative.

We’ve already posted a special announcement welcoming our new members, but I’d like to just point people to it that may not have seen it yet.

Since June 4th we’ve seen 11,000 plus new members join, a record month for us here! Their additions to the site have brought us to 115,139 total stories with anywhere from 800-1,000 of those being new to the site. We averaged over 120k visits a day! We had over a 600,000 unique visitors (a more than 30% increase) accessing over 100 million pages in June alone.

We’ve also seen the addition of another new member to our moderation team. She goes by the name SmellsLikeJapan both here and on the archive. Apparently neither of our two newest moderators are chatty Cathy’s. She gets along well with Bronx since they both seem to be afraid of the newer smartphones, using an old school flip, but SLJ has added a mustache to hers! Add in that she prefers men’s deodorant and flower scented candies and you have one hell of a bio. Hey, they give me the info, I just write it…

Since we’re talking about moderators: I just want to cover a few basics. We are not FanFiction.Net. We are not associated with them in anyway. We actively moderate our site, but there are 10 of us vs 141,000 of you. We are all humans, with lives and issues outside of the site. We all volunteer to do this and many of the staff spend as much, if not more, time here than with their paying full time job. We aren’t unfeeling robots, we love this site which is why we do what we do.

We are open and available to all of our members; however, I feel the need to remind people of proper etiquette when requesting help. When you need help, please remember we are here to provide it – Like I said, we are outnumbered 14,000 to 1, so please when you ask for assistance remember to be polite and non -confrontational. We always endeavor to be polite but we also don’t tend to sugar coat our responses as that simply draws the process out and doesn’t do anyone any favors. There is a difference between polite and rude.

Polite: Your answer can be found in our FAQs, if you have questions after reading please let us know.

Rude: Are you really so dumb that you can’t read the FAQ?

Polite: The issue with your disclaimer can be found by reviewing the FAQ we linked to in the initial review.

Rude: We told you already, fix it.

Polite: We appreciate feedback, but as previously stated we are in the process of a code re-write.

Rude: READ before bitching please.

See the difference? Like I said, we are human beings. When you come at us with vitriol, it takes every single ounce of strength we have to provide that polite but blunt response. When you threaten to leave the site? It’s hard not to just respond, “Don’t let the door hit you were the good Lord split you…” We work hard, we respect you, please respect us in return. It will make the entire process much more pleasurable on both sides. Make sure you read through the provided links in any review/email you receive and if it is for general support, remember the more details you provide the better!

Now, how do you go about asking for assistance? You can email us, find us on IM or the forum:

• If you email us, anything related to tech support should be emailed to technicalsupport@adult-fanfiction.org and anything related to a review or emailed warning from our moderators should be sent to tos_team@adult-fanfiction.org
  • If you go to the forum, there are a couple different forums to use: Forum Support for forum issues and Archive Software for issues with the archive. Neither of these is for general questions, FAQ requests or search requests, nor are they suggestion forums. If your post is not in the appropriate section, it will be removed.

So now you are in the right spot, how do you ask for help? Like I said, ask nicely! Please include any and all details. We’ve apparently had a bug since the software roll out in February, but it wasn’t until a user walked out each individual step she did that we discovered the issue 4 months later. Step it out, “I clicked this and this came up. Then I did this.” When we send out specific instructions to you, please follow them to the letter, there is a reason we send as detailed instructions as we do. If they don’t work, tell us where it went wrong. If we don’t have those details, we can’t duplicate the issue.

Remember I mentioned that bug we didn’t find for 4 months? Well, that affects the center login box. This box should only be used when you are registering for the site or activating the new code. Once you’ve completed registration/activation, please use the log in fields in the upper right hand corner until this bug is resolved. If you log in via the center box to review, you will not stay logged in. If you log in via the center box to add/edit a story, you will be redirected to a page with only the header and footer information.

Let’s talk about how to add stories and chapters. I know those of you coming from FF.Net are used to uploading your stories. It works a little different here at AFF. You can only upload .txt files and they must contain text containers. Otherwise you will end up with one solid wall of text that is virtually unreadable. You can review this FAQ for step by step instruction.

Some final things to wrap this new post up:

We’re still hard at work on the code re-write. Manta is working diligently especially with the influx of users, but we won’t roll anything out until we are sure that it works correctly. Last thing we want to do is cause more issues! I can’t promise a date for the next code roll out, but I can tell you that our goal is to have this completed by the end of the year.

For those of you coming from FF.Net, you’re probably very used to large amounts of annoying ads, pop ups, etc etc. We don’t do that here. Since we don’t use a flashy advertising system we don’t bring in the large bucks that other sites do. We have small banners at both the top and bottom of the page that will not interfere with your browsing experience. Those banners and your donations keep this site running. Right now our PayPal balance is standing at $766.70 which includes $140 in donations! Most of that will be going to pay our balance to Manta for the new code, so your donations are always appreciated!

Archive Clean up is still on going. It had to take a back burner for a bit with the code roll out and the influx of new members, but DemonGoddess has been back at it and finally finished the emergency repair in Books>A through F.

As for archive Moderation – Well, as exhausting as this last month has been from a moderating stand point, we are still working our way through. Take a look to see what our moderators have been up to here.

Happy Reading & Writing!

Apollo & DG

Is lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of things to check, lol!

PS: Apollo, you rock! Giggles maniacally at the comments. :D

Edited by pittwitch

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Draconicrose

Gosh, you people do so much in this site, it's hard to believe that you do it all voluntarily and for free. Personally I think AFF.net is so big that it could use a little bit of monetizing, though I understand you not wanting intrusive ads. I don't want those either, but I dunno, it seems a shame that you get so little. :< If I wasn't in the poorhouse myself I'd donate.

Gosh, you people do so much in this site, it's hard to believe that you do it all voluntarily and for free. Personally I think AFF.net is so big that it could use a little bit of monetizing, though I understand you not wanting intrusive ads. I don't want those either, but I dunno, it seems a shame that you get so little. :< If I wasn't in the poorhouse myself I'd donate.

Aww, thanks! :blush: Donations of time are always accepted as well ;) Just contact DemonGoddess061 or Apollo.