Click Here!

Refining the Slash catagory

Lunarwench

I'm a mainly-Slash writer and I love how there's a specific section for Slash fics, but I find that it's becoming very crowded in the slash archive.

Is there some way we can make another sub-menu for defined Slash types? Like how after you click Originals, it brings you to the sub-menu where you can find Romance, Vampire, Slash, etc.

Well, it would be AMAZING if after you click Slash there was ANOTHER sub-menu for like, Fantasy Slash, Furry Slash, PWP Slash, and even Vampire Slash, or Sci-Fi Slash if there's a big enough call for it.

I know that many writers post their various types of Slash in other catorgories than Slash because they happen to be using the type like Fantasy and such. Personally, I really don't like scanning through all those various sections for a simply Slash that won't be IN the Slash Section.

I think this would greatly organize the vastly huge (and ever growing) collection of Slash. Let me know what you think?

Also, those with their Fantasy Slash in the Fantasy section could move it to the 'Original>Slash>Fantasy' section. See? Does anyone else agree? Am I making a good point?

I think you have a good idea, it probably can be done but it will need to be talked out with the techs and the owner.

It would be a good idea.

We'll have to talk it over and see if it can be worked out.

Thanks for your suggestions, we mods of the site and the forums appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Beth

Is there some way we can make another sub-menu for defined Slash types? Like how after you click Originals, it brings you to the sub-menu where you can find Romance, Vampire, Slash, etc.

You have a fine thought there, Lunarwench, one I don't believe I've seen asked before.

While I'm pretty sure it'll be impossible to do what I think you're saying in your post (I believe your suggestion was to have an actual Slash Archive/Category?), it does make the wheels turn in my mind about the possibilities of our techs scripting something up that can allow a Member to "call up" only Stories listed in a Slash or Yaoi Sub-Category.

Don't quote me! I run the place, but I don't actually know what's altogether possible for the techs to do with our coding. Coding's a tricky thing here, as this bunch must be the fourth or fifth technical team AFF's had, and so, what I am thinking may be non-do-able.

You've been heard, though, and honestly, that idea kind of rocks, if we can find a way to implement it someday. Thanks for pitching that one in. ^^

Hello, Lunarwench here again, and let me just say that your guys ROCK for replying. Even if nothing can be done, or if it'll take some time to figure out how to do it, I LOVE that you replied. Not only that, but I got numerous replies!

That makes me feel giddy, knowing my voice was heard!

So, if there is some way to make a sub-category for Slash types, do you think we should have like a poll about what categories to include? I wonder how specific they should be?

Ah, but I'm getting ahead of myself here. Just thanks for listening and thinking about it!

That makes me feel giddy, knowing my voice was heard!
tongue.gif

That makes me feel good too! We do what we can, even if we're usually as busy as a one-legged man in an ass-kicking contest.

Not that there's anything wrong with being one-legged.

• 1 month later...
I'm a mainly-Slash writer and I love how there's a specific section for Slash fics, but I find that it's becoming very crowded in the slash archive.

Well, it would be AMAZING if after you click Slash there was ANOTHER sub-menu for like, Fantasy Slash, Furry Slash, PWP Slash, and even Vampire Slash, or Sci-Fi Slash if there's a big enough call for it.

I know that many writers post their various types of Slash in other catorgories than Slash because they happen to be using the type like Fantasy and such. Personally, I really don't like scanning through all those various sections for a simply Slash that won't be IN the Slash Section.

I think this would greatly organize the vastly huge (and ever growing) collection of Slash. Let me know what you think?

Also, those with their Fantasy Slash in the Fantasy section could move it to the 'Original>Slash>Fantasy' section. See? Does anyone else agree? Am I making a good point?

Actually I think this would be a great idea for all categories rather than just Slash. Just because you click on ... say Vampires... doesn't mean you'll get Vampire Romance or just Vampire Horror right away. Or if you were to click on Erotica... that category is broadly used and unless the writer states in the summary (which they normally do not), it doesn't tell you if it's romantic, horror, or whatnot. True they should go into a romance or horror section but if it's strongly erotic, then I think it should fit in the erotic category (I don't always prefer to read a lot of smut).

I believe that would be part of the functions that the tags should take care of. Again, we need a much stronger search engine than what it currently offers, but it's something that is not available at this point in time. As to the overall restructure, if you're referencing the originals sub domain specifically, haven't EVEN gotten that far yet. Been occupied with the forum....

Ooh, ooh, I can be all authoritative about this!

Adding more subcategories is totally possible-- there's actually code in the testing area that allows infinite subcategories right now. However, unless there's a mass outcry from the users, we're planning on upgrading the search function and adding some sort of sorting/tagging ability (probably based on better Story Codes) so you can filter in on stories you're interested in reading, instead of adding deeper subcategories.

Part of the reason for that is to reduce redundancy-- for example, let's say you're looking for a good femslash romance in any category. If we add more subcategories, you'd have to check down in the Yuri/Femslash -> Romance subcategory for each major category. If we make a better search engine & categorizing schematic, you could just select "Romance" and "Yuri/Femslash" and get all the results over all the categories.