Click Here!

Self Inspiration: Music. Sexy, Sexy Music...

Lisbet_Adair

I had a bit of a block recently with writing, and started listening to some music which I found really useful.

I've found Florence and the Machine's "Shake It Out" and "No Light, No Light" to be really good for inspiring some emotional turmoil.

Songs that I find sexy:

"Bad Things" (the theme to True Blood) by Jace Everett

A fairly obscure over of the Strangler's "Nice and Sleazy" by Sons and Daughters (it's a vinyl B side)

Hard Fi's cover of Snoop Dog and David Guetta's "Sweat" from the BBC's Live Lounge.

Example's "Changed The Way You Kissed Me"

And Lady Gaga's "Bad Romance" just fits so many pairings...

Does anyone have any suggestions for songs that they have found inspiring?

I've been listening to a lot of metal music these days. I've been recommended a few bands and a few days ago, maybe a week, I finally decided to follow some of them. I was checking out Amon Amarth and I fell on a song that simply sparked my imagination, "Embrace of the Endless Ocean". It's beautifully dark, and the whole album, "Twilight of the Thunder Gods" has been the only thing I've listened to since then. My other favs from this one include "Live for the Kill", "Guardians of Asgaard" and "The Hero".

I think I'm in love with it. XD

I was checking out Amon Amarth and I fell on a song that simply sparked my imagination, "Embrace of the Endless Ocean".

I was enjoying that until the throaty singing started, just never a fan of that style. On the other hand, I'm currently listening to a piano cover of this and it's boss.

I was enjoying that until the throaty singing started, just never a fan of that style. On the other hand, I'm currently listening to a piano cover of this and it's boss.

I need this in my life. D:

I've had it on repeat back and forth from work...

My musical choices change depending on what I'm writing. If I'm writing something tender and romantic, Josh Groban never fails. I head for the baroques for the tearjerker parts. and general writing can be anything from J-rock to classic rock.

Music is my crack. I make playlists for each chapter based upon the moods I'm trying to portray, and sometimes I'll hear a piece of music that will inspire an entire story. The Killer's "Goodnight, Travel Well" and Plain White T's "Welcome to Mystery" inspired my current WIP, Lioness Loricatus (working on moving that over here from ffnet).

As for sexy? Muse "Undisclosed Desires", and oddly enough, The Mortal Coil "Dreams Made Flesh"

I've also been recently inspired by Philip Glass's "Afternoon Waltz" and Metamorphosis Suite, along with Barrington Pheloung's "Shopgirl" soundtrack.

Lisbet? I'm in love the Florence + the Machine. I sing it all day ;)

@ChibiShiva

I have a whole playlist of covers, especially ones that are done in a totally different style from the original. Love it when someone totally changes how I listened to a particular tune.

Plain White T's "Welcome to Mystery"

Thanks for reminding me that I bought their album about four years ago and it just occured to me that I have never actually listened to it! That song's nice.

As for sexy? Muse "Undisclosed Desires"

I'd forgotten how sexy Muse's music is. Supermassive Black Holes is great.

Depends on the pair. Bad Romance works on so many levels! :D So does anything by Santana, and the Florence + the machine songs already mentioned! Muse is so many levels of awesome.

Forgive me if some of the stuff is a little creepy. I'm into a part of my own story where things get creepy and dangerous -- and are going to stay that way for a bit. Not much to offer for general sexiness at the moment... I couldn't even get myself in the right frame of mind for the last sex scene I tried to include :(

Nine Inch Nails -- Closer especially

Voodoo by Godsmack (used it for one story I'm too chicken to post)

Howl by Florence + The Machine

Seven Nation Army by The White Stripes

Locations:

Yuluga by Dead Can Dance

Heros and heroism:

Several songs from the Transformers score

Several songs from the Thor score

Action / Fight scenes:

Serpentine by Disturbed

Indestructable by Disturbed

The Mortal Kombat soundtrack

A lot of Rob Zombie's stuff, but Hellbilly Deluxe is my album of choice at the moment

Resurrection (original mix) by PPK

Found by Sunlounger

Engel by Rammstein

Several songs from the Transformers score

Several songs from the Thor score

Pretender by Foo Fighters

All My Life by Foo Fighters

lisbet, you read my mind! I love that vid! ;) Firefall, you may like the soundtracks to "Breach" and "Taken" as well. They fill the soft spots nicely where TF leaves off without getting too classical and outdated from what I see of your music list. Rob Zombie is a MUST, especially Dragula, and Rammstein is always hot. Have you ever listened to Lordy? I think it would be along those lines, but it is a little campy, so listen with tongue in cheek ;) Chainsaw Buffet is particularly hilarious and really great to write vamps to.

On a softer note, but not too soft, I'd like to also mention writing to Warpaint and Grace Potter & The Nocturnals. Then again, I'll write to Elton John if the mood suits me... >.>

I am on the hugest David Bowie kick just now, have been for months and I doubt It will end in the foreseeable future. If sexy is what you want, give Width Of a Circle a listen, I can't find a good video of it, so have some ziggy

All of his songs are full of inspiration, but other staples of mine are Starman, Teenage Wildlife, Five Years, Time, 1984/Dodo, Lets Spend the Night Together (cover of The Rolling Stones) Sorrow (cover of the Mccoys), Move On, Queen Bitch, John, I'm Only Dancing, Janine, God Knows I'm Good and The Prettiest Star

You also can't go past Meat Loaf if you need some passion injected into things, that guy injects his heart and soul and every emotion he has into every single song he sings, some more successfully than others I'll admit. For Crying Out Loud is still one of my favorite love longs though, and Objects in The Rear View Mirror can still make me cry on a bad day.

A few others well worth noting and listening too are Adam Ant, The Choirboys, Jet, Jo Jo Zepp and the Falcons, Supertramp and a long time favorite of mine The Skyhooks.

I'm also really enjoying: Love Interruption by Jack White

I bought that album because I loved Sixteen Saltines, but that's also a great song. I loved the message that he wants love to be something that arouses this incredible strength of feeling. I was going to put it on my next evolution of my Brokeback Warfare playlist (which I've got to get round to doing this weekend)