Click Here!

Back history

ShadowsPale

I keep starting than stalling, starting over and stalling again. I will read over what I have written and think it discloses too much back history and at other times, I feel it doesn't give enough. I have somewhere around six stories that have stalled because I am not happy with the first few chapters despite rewritting it numerous times.

I am never going to get anywhere as I am. If I am not doing one of the above, I am hit with a what if. What if this was different or what if I made so and so like this? Thankfully I have a lot of hair or I would be bald by now. I have a strong urge to write but I am not getting anywhere and it all comes back to first few chapters.

Maybe I am going about it the wrong way. Maybe an explanation onwhy John hates cats so only dates other cat haters or Jane came to be nanny to a prince born a hundred years before she was, isn't needed. Do readers really want to read about what modivated a person to decide to up an leave everything they know?

I just can't figure out how to deal with back histories. If I just give the basics at the beginning of the story, I feel I haven't explained enough but if I give a detailed one, I often find the story doesn't truly begin until the second or third chapter. Help please! I would really like to finish at least one story.

Edited by ShadowsPale

You're wrestling with one of the classic debates faced by any writer. There's a real art to dealing w/ back-story.

All I can recommend is to keep experimenting with different amounts of information up-front. Basic vs. detailed doesn't have to be a dichotomy; it can be a continuous spectrum, on which you must find a spot where you're comfortable for a given story, or a given character even. The amount of information you give up-front will probably vary depending on A) the character's importance to the story, B) the information's relevance, in terms of understanding the character, and C) the overall tone and pace of the story.

I had this problem. One of my WIPs had an entirely different start that I ditched for being too slow; although it exposed a lot more of the backstory and set the scene for the timeframe in which the story occured. In the end, I decided that if it wasn't going to come up in the action, influence someone's reaction or decision making, it was gone. The end result is a much faster pace for three chapters.

Just remember: Not every character has a back story. That's one of the main things I find as completely pointless. Also, you reflect on your own life when you think of important times to you. For example, I reflect on my times of playing high school soccer since that happens to have some of my favorite memories. When do I think about that? When I'm not doing anything, or hanging with someone who shared those memories.

In the same sense, a back story is not a character's whole life, but something important to one of two things: Their personality or the plot. Of course, our lives are plot-less, and so we can't reflect due to plot, more spur-of-the-moment reflection.

As for how often? I would generally suggest that you simply try to add something in every 2000 words or so... It may not seem like much, but most authors don't go over 1500 words per paragraphed chapter (well, FF authors at least... J.K. Rowlings always seemed to go more towards 6-7k words...). Characters are always developing... Forward development is considered dynamic and backwards is generally perceived as static to the current character, mostly static to the time as well.

Another way to judge it is by situation. Every time a major event happens, the main character should make progress in depth... Not necessarily a change in character, but a revealing or increased depth in their character. I generally try to obey both, so I have a major event every 2000 words or so.

Just a closing note: For a character to be truly believable (which is why flashbacks work), the character has to show some imperfection to the situation. I hate seeing physical weakness being scapegoated for an easy way out. Say a character is trying to figure the best way to climb a building... And they have a fear of heights. Character development from the past could be what resolves the character to perform an action in the present... I think that's the basic function of the flashback concept.

• 9 months later...

All my characters above the age of "was born two minutes ago" have backstories, I just don't always know them. :P

And neither do I always have to, or at least, I have no more need to know the backstory of someone my main characters meet for five minutes than I have a need to know the personal history of someone I meet for five minutes.

The main thing I try to remember about back story on characters is that, apart from the main characters, I'm probably never going to know their entire past. I don't want to. I have enough details floating around in my head; I don't need that many more to add to my problems.

Also, leaving some details unknown allows for "treats" to give to the readers later, kind of like throwing a dog a bone. Besides, mysterious characters are often a lure, too.

The style I like most, as a reader and as a writer, is to only explain the history of a given character as it comes up...except in special cases, such as when using foreshadowing, where there's typically a flashback or a dream to hint at what lies ahead.

As a writer, I don't like putting all the info on any character's past into only the first few chapters; it's an info dump...and most readers won't remember at least a good portion of the information.

I agree with you there, Cuzosu. I also prefer only having the history of a character explained as it comes up, or as it is important, etc. However, it takes skill to do that well - it can easily come across as handwaving or cheating or a cop-out if a writer suddenly reveals to the readers that, because of this or that, Character knows a handy skill just at the appropriate time for that to be revealed.

"Nah, we're not going to rot in this dungeon forever, Char. A. Did I never tell you that I, Char. B, am a lock-picking expert because of my time spent with the Thieves' Guild? What do you mean, "Did you spend time with the Thieves' Guild? I never knew that!"?"

Three chapters later,

"Gimme that bow, Char B. I know he's still [incredible distance] away, but I've hit targets from further than that! You... you didn't know? Oh, right... before your time. Still got the skill, though. Practice daily. Yes, you've never seen me - I practice stealth and marksmanship at the same time."

A valid point, Silenia. Timing and phrasing are very important when introducing skills. If the skill is going to be used shortly, the best three options (in my opinion) are:

1. to have another character present who already knows about said skill. This character would, at the appropriate time, presumably say something like, "Hey, you still practice that like you used to?"
  2. flashbacks. Show a scene where the character was using the skill and so would think of it and act without prompting.
  3. to have the main character (or another character, if you'd rather) see the skill being practiced in secret. This person can then bring it up as needed.

Of course, there's always the option of having the person seen/caught using a different skill that can lead to being asked about the skill needed.

"So, Char. B. I saw you picking pockets the other day. You, uh...pick locks, too, by any chance?"

Or, for that matter, wearing something that could be considered a tell-tale sign.

"Char. A, you wear arm guards. Do you use knives or am I lucky enough to be on the run with an archer who can pick our enemies off at a distance?"

"Char. C, you've got calluses like a sword master. If I steal a sword, would you fight with it?"

Exactly. If for some reason you have to introduce a skill not long before the skill has to be used, it's better to not do it by having the skill-possessing character mention it out of the blue. (There are exceptions, of course. Can be humorous if done well, especially if followed up by a deadpan snarker along the lines of 'anything else you should have told us about before?', but it's just as easy to do it wrong.)

Perhaps my favorite way is dropping some small hints here-and-there a bit earlier, simple sentences that don't necessarily attract attention but that do hint at the skill (at the very least, hint at it in hindsight), however, that's not always possible - especially when earlier chapters/books/episodes/cartoons/name-media-form-here have already been released.

When not possible, I agree that the ways you mentioned would work very well. Or have it be a skill closely linked to one the readers already know the character possesses. (Say, you have a character that has a lot of experience with potions. It wouldn't be much of an issue to reveal they also have knowledge about poisons. Or, like you said, picking pockets and picking locks.)

Though basically, I guess this all comes down to, "before you tie your plot into a nice pretzel-shape, at least have a clue how to get it straight again". It's difficult to pull something off as anything else than an Ass Pull when it is an Ass Pull. (Also, I apologize for using tvtropes terminology. :P)

Yes. I fully agree. And sarcasm and snark are wonderful in almost any circumstances.

"I'm too young to die in jail!"

"I'm too old to listen to whiners."

"But we're stuck here!"

"No...but if you don't stop whining, I'll leave you here. It takes two to tango, but only one to run."

"Jeez, Char. B, that's a bit harsh, don't you think?"

"Doubtful. Char. C's twittering has me looking around for birds."

"And the rest of us?"

"Let's get the flock out of here."

Hints and layered meanings are a favorite of mine, too. And, like you, I love works that make people reread to catch all the meanings--both as a writer and as a reader.

Exactly.

Yes. Words to the wise...or at least, those wise enough to pay heed, hm? ;)

You had me smirk at that bit of dialogue, Cuzosu.

I agree, sarcasm and snark are wonderful in almost any circumstances. Pity that there are some people out there who apparently never got the key-word: almost. (That, and people who confuse 'sarcasm' with 'whine').

I like it as a writer, because I know it gives my characters backstories and a past without me having to info-dump. I like it as a reader, because it means someone actually thought about their story and what way they want to write it - means they've put in effort.

Ah... but is wisdom not exactly that anyway? Paying heed to life's lessons, I mean.

*bows* Tongue in cheek. I write some really dry and/or snide bits off the top of my head sometimes. This makes me no less glad that you enjoyed it, though. :P

Yes, it's a bit much when a writer misjudges the situation and throws snark in where there ought to be sorrow or some other such emotion. And anyone who can't tell the difference between sarcasm and whining needs a lesson in writing. Author's circle, anyone?

Great minds think alike. ;)

Touche. :P

I wish I could like that post more than once. :P

Yeah, or complete, furious rage. Anger can result in sarcasm. Rage so bad a character is willing to torture another character to death is usually not a fitting moment for a dry remark. Most of those who can't tell the difference between sarcasm and whining are also those who can't tell the difference between descriptive and purple prose or between witty and boring. (-cough- Hey, those sound like key-characteristics of Sue-writers... how surprising-cough-)

Aw, thanks for the compliment. :P

Practice. My family is full of wits and snarky A-holes and suchlike, so witty repartee is a must. Even my mother manages it sometimes. ;)

Indeed....

You're welcome, of course!

Yup. Nothing like growing up around people who make you think, "I should have said that!" after the fact to make your mind quick on the retort. ;) Of course, it does make for better dialogue.

Better back story, however, takes yet more practice. Or a family/personal tendency for pouncing on stories. I've read some back stories on characters that I found...lacking. I'll be kind and leave it at that.

Ah, see, I knew we got along for a reason! (Or more than one. ;) )

Aye, you're completely right there. Teaches you how to think on what to say (whether you'll be saying it or your character(s) will) real fast, yet still have 'natural' responses.

Good back-stories are sometimes difficult. I think that's what makes fanfiction so attractive to some people. Most characters already have a backstory, which you can change if you want, but if you don't want to, you have something to fall back on - and without having to even mention it, 'cause everyone already knows it.

For me, tends to differ from character to characters. Some characters aren't hard to write a back-story for, others are as tight-lipped to their creator (me) or manipulator (me, if it's fanfiction) as they are to other characters.

Looking to me like we're getting along for multiple reasons, including same kind of humour and same or similar opinion on most things related to writing. XD

"Natural" responses are a boon I am forever thankful for.

Hm...I hadn't considered it from that angle before. My own reasons are to explore the depths of whatever character(s) I am writing. Emotionally more than physically.

I think each character has a different rapport with his/hers/its respective creator/manipulator. Most of the ones I deal with either try to bribe me, persuade me to join them in ganging up on another unfortunate character, or (as my group from The Were King's Heir do) playfully pounce on me to give me significant looks and/or snarl at me.

Could be, could be.... ;)

As am I. (Hey, that's yet another similarity between us :P)

It's not my reason for writing fanfiction either, but I know that many people hate working on back-stories for their characters and how to add it into a story without it becoming a. info-dumpy or b. ass-pull. I would suppose that writing with characters that already have an established backstory would be attractive to them.

Wouldn't so much say 'each', but yes, most certainly do.

So it is. :P

I...can't wrap my mind around that kind of laziness. I understand working with what the creator has revealed, but going purely fan fiction to avoid having to make up back story on a character? The mere thought is giving me a migraine.

True. The ones I deal with tend to have their own methods, that's for sure.

I suspect it's not so much "to avoid making up a backstory for a character" as it is "for a lot of characters". Mind you, this is all conjecture based upon remarks and between-the-lines revelations that I've noticed through the years. I can't be 100% certain, as I'm not one of those aforementioned writers.

However, many writers are unfortunately lazy. Just looking at how many stories (online and published) contradict themselves every other turn, include more spelling and grammar error's that a four-year-old's first letter and/or deal with stereotypes, rather than characters, has certainly shown me that much.

My important characters tend to as well. Not quite all minor/side characters do, however.

Ah.

True....

If they show up more than once, they tend to make themselves known at least a bit. For me, anyway. I'm sure some writers get away without that particular hassle.

Yes, returning characters make themselves known... if given the chance. Which is exactly why I don't give characters that get to return but still be "visible" for maybe a few lines total that chance. Worse if the character somehow has a personality, or rather, has established a personality. Just like with back-stories, all characters have a personality, I just don't always know it. Considering the hassle, I try to keep characters that get so little screen-time and in circumstances that don't require establishing a personality from establishing it anyway.

(Sometimes, pretty much unimportant characters still need to show a personality because of circumstances, such as when their five minutes of fame is royally pissing off another character. Someone none of my established characters interact with directly (or indirectly) doesn't, however. I don't need to be bombed with background information and personality development of a character whose only role is walking past my character in a busy street - just like a hundred others)

Agreed. I try to limit the ones who aren't going to show up for more than glimpses, too, though you're not the only one who has problems with them occasionally pissing people off, either. Apart from that, it's mostly a matter of how much time they get in the story.