Click Here!

Way to "follow" a story, and/or know when it updates?

rogue

I'm SURE this has been mentioned/suggested before, I glanced through but didn't see anything similar. No offense, but I don't want to read all of the threads, lol. And I figured, hey, if it's been mentioned/suggested already, this post will just serve as further support for it!

As we know, the majority of fanfics on AFF - well, on any fanfic site - are WIP. I find it frustrating to email myself the stories I liked and want to continue reading, or even bookmark them, to check periodically. I used to only read completed fics, but like many other readers, I am sure I read much faster than fics are being completed - at least, fics that catch my interest. :)

So, I was wondering if it would be possible for the site to look into a link/button that you can click that allows you to 'follow' a story, receive an email or profile notification when a fic receives an update, something?? That would be AMAZING.

Like I said, I'm sure I'm not the only one to think of this, but I would really love having that option!!

Edited by rogue

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Shelbie

this is an amazing idea, i hate the fact that you can not "favourite" stories without having to go through a load of mess that takes forever and sometimes the information isn't even there :(

• 1 month later...

Oh, there was a FAQ for this. I figured it out on my own, haha. 8D Anyway, as for adding Rec. Reading or Current Reading, I understand how that works. However, I want to second rogue's request for a notification feature that would send out emails whenever a favorited story is updated. Even if you did add all of the stories your are currently reading into a list, you would still have to click every single one to check if there has been an update to it, or alternatively check the pages of your fandom/s every single day, like I am doing. I don't mind it that much, because I'm rather used to checking for updates by myself, but especially during busy times it would be really nice to just get an email notifying me of a new chapter. I do understand it might not be easy to setup (I have no idea about this kind of stuff), but I still wanted to express my support should you entertain the idea.

• 2 weeks later...

I like this idea. I think another idea (that goes along with this one) would to have a personal message box, much like an email, thats give u a heads up about a new story or chapter about ur favorite author or story. Perhaps even make a 'fanu club' link, where people can join a u bulletin that the author post on any new works or chapters. Like an updates page, giving aff a little bit on social media outside the forum.

This gives an author a chance to give bulletins to their followers without taking away the to need to use the forum

• 2 months later...

i would like to point out that i gave up on the entire site when i found there was no way to do this. Call me lazy but i don't want to end up, as someone said, with a massive list of stories i have to manually check all the time. it's a pain i don't need when i can just find a site which is more work in progress friendly and lets you stay uptodate automaticly.

so please do add this feature, your site is dying for one.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.