Click Here!

Profile Editing

MysticSong

I saw a post from last year stating you had to have 20-30 posts to edit your own profile. It was suggested to get a lot of posts by using the game thread (which doesn't appear to exist.)

I don't know about other folks here, but I'm an adult who works full time and attends graduate school part-time. While I don't object to making relevant posts as needed for suggestions or in taking part in a discussion, I don't have time to play games to 'win' the privilege of editing my own personal information.

Can we just be mature adults and have this feature unlocked for registered users? I run my own message board/forum (with either the same or very similar board-ware) for my website and I know it's an easy switch in the Admin-console.

Sincerely,

MysticSong

It's 20 posts, looking at the setting for it. The Game Forum is where you were directed, not a specific thread. I'm unsure as to why that was set before, that post limit to be able to edit your profile, but I'm sure there was a reason for it at the time. Like you, I have my own discussion board, which actually is a later version of this software, so am aware of where I need to go to adjust that setting. I don't see a need for limiting that ability, but I'd like to be able to check and see why it was done in the first place, before I go ahead and change that setting. There may have been an actual need that was seen and addressed as a result, at the time it was done.

That seems very odd..

My only guess would be to prevent people from creating new accounts out of spite and posting defematory avatars or the like to hurt someone else without having to face the reprocussions of their actions on their main forums account.

Edited by Shirotaka

That's not it.

You can change your own avatar without reaching the 20-post count.

Once you reach 20 posts, you can change your title via your profile. You can reach that count quickly and easily by posting in any thread in the Games forum.

There's an item in the IBStore called the Name Tag. That's the other way to change your title.

Considering the price, it's actually obsolete. At the very beginning, there was NO way to change your title through your profile info - the name tag was used for that.

If you want, you can ask someone else to send you a name tag for free. Most of us don't mind.

Meanwhile, the issue will be addressed.

I just don't see a problem with waiting 20 posts to change one's user title; presumably any users not around enough to post 20 times won't be around enough to care what their title is?

I'm not entirely sure what is meant by "title". I was interested in changing things like being able to put my website address in there, Location, things like that.

I feel it is unfair I should have to spam some thread to get to do this. One, I've always held to the belief that posting a bunch of, well, crap, to get access is a big 'netiquette' no-no, and two, as I stated in my first post, I simply don't have the time to play games.

As I said earlier, I'm not sure WHY the editing your whole profile was set to wait 'til a member reaches twenty posts. At this point in time, I'm working on allowing guest view access to certain parts of the board, so, while I'm not getting to looking over these settings now (and making adjustments where necessary), I will be getting to it soon.

Hmmm.. whomever originally formatted the forum must have had their reasons, perhaps they feared off-site linking to problem sites coming from someone who just made an account to advertise their flood insurance company or something.

But, considering that person is no longer around, it is not possible to know for sure why.

DemonGoddess061 is new to our particular forum so she is still looking around in what I'm sure is a huge jumbled mess of code.

I am positive Demon and the other new techs will sort out all the bugs in no time.

So come join me in the forum games if you wanna kill the time.

thumbsup.gif

Bots don't validate, nor type in visual verification/registration codes. I've already adjusted that setting, by the way. That's why most boards if allowing guest access, for example, DON'T allow guests the ability to post. Only to view. Bots generally will spam a board as a guest user. Or auto register with a false email address, so of course they can't validate, which means they can't use the forum anyway.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.