Dumbledore is gay.

NinjaGaijin

Discuss.

h++p://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/story?id=3755544&page=1

Rowling Lets Dumbledore Out of the Closet

Some Angered as Rowling Reveals Potter Mentor Was Into Wizards, Not Witches

By HANNA SIEGEL

Oct. 20, 2007

Well, it's official. Albus Dumbledore, a hero of the phenomenally popular Harry Potter series and headmaster of the wizarding school Hogwarts, is gay.

In a surprising new Potter twist, author J.K. Rowling outed Dumbledore at New York's Carnegie Hall in front of 2,000 Potter fans during a question and answer session Friday night.

After reading an excerpt from the seventh installment of her series, "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows," one young fan asked if Dumbledore had ever loved anyone.

"Dumbledore is gay, actually," replied Rowling.

She was initially met with a surprised silence but ultimately the audience erupted in cheers for several minutes prompting Rowling to add, "I would have told you earlier if I knew it would make you so happy."

Rowling went on to explain that Dumbledore fell for Gellert Grindelwald, his childhood friend with similarly brilliant wizarding skills, who eventually went over to the dark side and became the predecessor to the infamous villain Voldemort. That love, explained Rowling, was Dumbledore's "great tragedy."

Rowling explained that the issue of Dumbledore's sexuality came up in the making of one of the Harry Potter films.

"In fact, recently I was in a script read-through for the sixth film, and they had Dumbledore saying a line to Harry early in the script, saying, 'I knew a girl once, whose hair--'"

The crowd laughed.

"I had to write a little note in the margin and slide it along to the scriptwriter -- 'Dumbledore's gay!'" she said.

Die-hard Potter muggles quickly reacted to the news online. The Harry Potter fan site TheLeakyCauldron.org had no less than 1,048 comments posted on the story as of early Saturday.

Many fans were thrilled with the announcement.

"This is a victory for homosexuality the world over," one wrote. "Dumbledore is iconic, and I can't wait for all those little children to hear about this. I am so insanely proud of [Rowling] for doing this."

Wonder Twin powers, activate!

Form of... a merged thread!

I heard about this right when it broke and I'm still of mixed feelings regarding it. (do HP 6 spoilers still count? I guess):

SPOILER :
Dumbledore ends up dead and alone after falling in love with someone evil,
and pretty much everyone else in the series ends up in committed monogamous relationships. On the other hand, gay!

I hate to say this but I think this is a PR ploy to keep her in the news since she is writing a Mystery Novel and HP is no more.

I don't really buy Dumbledore being gay. Straight men can have male friends and not be seen as gay. He might have admired him very much but gay no.

My opinion on it, that's all.

Beth

Guest Frijola Verda

I would disagree about it being a publicity ploy; afterall, she doesn't really need the publicity, she is JKR. While the books are complete, there are still the next 2 movies.

I think she is letting secrets out because people are hounding her for more.

I have read it on many sites that people are dissatisfied with the DH epilogue.

I for one hope she does that HP encyclopedia, I think it will be a wonderful supplement to the series.

Guest AzaleaWood

I agree with Frijola Verda. Here in the UK, the buzz hasn't stopped just becaue the last book is out. Now people are clammoring for the next two movies.

As for Dumbledore being gay. Well, part of me isn't all that surprised. As has been pointed out by someone else, the discription of his friendship with Grindenwald had some serious subtext. I thought it was just me reading too much into all of it! lol

If you were dissatisfied with the DH epilogue, raise your hand.

*raises hand*

cool.gif

*raises hand*

I was actaully disappointed in the entire book itself. It ranks at the seventh place on my favs list of HP books with Azkaban being my favorite.

Beth

Guest AzaleaWood

*raises hand*

I liked the book itself, thought I voted for HBP in the poll, but the epilogue seemed tacked on, like it really didn't belong with the rest of the story (as a whole, not just DH). That and well, I wanted to know what happened to a few more characters. I know she couldn't tell us about everyone, but what about the rest of the Weasleys? *sigh*

Edited by AzaleaWood

• 2 weeks later...

Omg, before i read this thread i thought it was one of those weird HP fics that are floating around. But JKR said it so it must be true.

Grindelwald is of course a dark wizard so is there any chance he could have slipped him a weak love potion?

I hate to say this but I think this is a PR ploy to keep her in the news since she is writing a Mystery Novel and HP is no more.

I don't really buy Dumbledore being gay. Straight men can have male friends and not be seen as gay. He might have admired him very much but gay no.

My opinion on it, that's all.

Beth

Okay so it probably is a PR ploy.

On the other hand I have a funny comment to share with you all.....

I'm editing a quote from the MTV show "A Shot At Love With Tila Tequila"

--"How do you know he's straight? I mean has he ever slept with a man?!"

Okay anyone who gets this reference is not only bad-ass but wins points with me!

• 4 weeks later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.