Click Here!

Question about Non Story Accounts

Guest The Lurker

Guest The Lurker

I have a question.

After reading the forums, I noticed that people were speaking of compiling lists of non story accounts to be deleted.

My question is this.

You have to have an account to leave a review now, due to the issues with the flamers, non signed or logged in reviews.

If a person gets an account just to leave reviews, doesn't deleting their account for non stories, defeat the purpose of having to sign in to leave reviews?

Not all account holders here, do so for stories, they do it for the new review status.

Just something that was floating around in my head.

I agree with you that deleting the non writers, such as me, from the archive would defeat the purpose of having one login to leave a review. You have to set up an author profile to login. And must login to review at this point in time. So, to my way of thinking such a deletion would defeat the purpose of logged in reviews.

Out of curiosity, where is this thread that brings this up?

Guest The Lurker

I just researched through the forums and it seems along with the post in question, many more have vanished.

You will have to excuse me, my husband got a sever neck sprain and I spent Friday night with him in the hospital and I haven't had sleep. This has been on my mind for a while so excuse the questioning.

Delete this thread if you wish.

I was just curious was all.

I remember before when I was on scouts, they were deleting non story accounts, that's why I questioned this. If the "scouts" for the forum are working on non story accounts, then truly as it was stated, it defeats the purpose of signing up for an account.

Now with the new sign in review rule, we don't know which accounts are for reviews and which are for non stories.

Forgive this "Wolfie" for not thinking straight

stumbles out of the room towards the bed

I understand about not thinking straight when tired.

Perhaps we should suggest that a category be added in the archive software upgrade to show whether or not one is an author, or it's simply a reviewing account? It's a thought. Of course, we'd have to ask the tech if it's even a possibility for future.

I hope your husband is feeling better, and that you are getting some rest!

I think one of the things I mentioned about non story accounts at one point was not deleting them, but when looking at users in the members directory I thought it would be a good idea to only list members who have stories, if it was technically possible.

I sometimes liked to randomly click on usernames and see what stories they've got, but since the requirement to log in and review came in it seemed most I found were non story accounts...

Guest The Lurker

I think as a suggestion, perhaps the review accounts should place that somewhere in their profile, saying this is only a reviewing account. That would help with the not knowing who wasn't writing issue.

And Demon, thanks for your kind words. His doctor released him back to work but with massive restrictions. I'll know how it went when he gets home from work tonight.

runs off to finish lunch before she has to wake him up

You're right, that's something we could all actually do in our profiles for now. Simply state it's a reviewing account, if that's why we have a login. It's funny, for years I didn't have a login. Simply because I'd read, put up a user name (I knew what I'd go with for that, been my internet name for years), and then post my review. IF I reviewed, that is.

So, when login to review became required, I created a user for the archive. I bet there are many others just like me, who read and are ALSO not writers. We know what we enjoy reading, but don't actually write ourselves. there's a good reason why I don't write, ya know. I couldn't write creatively if my life DEFPENDED on it. But...do like to be able to respond to stories in progress or whatever that I've enjoyed, and let the author know I've enjoyed what they wrote and appreciate their efforts and work.

hehe sidetracked there for a minute.....I think as a temporary fix it would be a good suggestion then, to suggest to the archive admin that we (the users) can at least make that notification in profile that we have a reviewing account only; and that for long term, ask if there is a way to toggle that. I wouldn't know if there is, but I'm sure she would. Or if it's even a remote possibility for the future.

I've edited my aff author profile to reflect this, exactly. That it's a reviewing account ONLY.

Edited by DemonGoddess061

As far as I know, it should be easy to make it so only accounts with stories posted show up on the 'member directory' list on the main site (well, maybe. it depends on how the seperate archives are set up, etc etc) by just adding, like 'WHERE COUNT({stories posted}) > 0' to the user query. Well, in practice it'd be more complex than that, but. I don't think there's a technical hurdle to listing only users with stories posted vs. reviewing/defunct accounts.

Then again, authors can use the 'No Login Required for Reviews' option.  For someone who rarely receives reviews like me, I'd say that's a more friendly thing to do.

Yeah, the second I heard of the new "only logged-in users can post reviews" rule I went to my user panel and checked the "let anonymous users review" box. But not everyone did that, and since it defaulted to not allowing anonymous reviews, there are a lot of fics there that do require an account to review.

The author can either go with anon reviews and signed reviews.

Some authors can click that button to accept anon reviews in their profile page.

If they don't want anon users to leave reviews, I believe it is done automatically as the default status. The author has to physically change it to let anon reviewers review their stories.

Beth

Not really, you can log out and read all the stories you want but to leave a review on some stories as the authors have not chose to accept anon reviewers is that you have to log back in to sign it.

Some authors haven't realized that they can accept anon reviewers by clicking off that anon button in their profiles.

Beth

It was but also there are people who don't write stories and have accounts with us even saying that they are review accounts only at this time(who knows they might get the spark to write fanfiction).

Beth

I'm one of those "review only" type accounts. I can tell you for sure I'll never get bit by the writing bug, as I have absolutely no talent whatsoever with creative writing. I leave it to the wordsmiths....

As far as I knew, that was why in the author panel the author has the choice of allowing anon reviews or not. To avoid spamming and trolls that could potentially happen because of anon reviewing allowed.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.