Click Here!

Final Fantasy VIII

WotanAnubis

OK, so I recently started playing FFVIII and I have to say that, other than the sometimes time-consuming 'drawing' mechanic, it doesn't really deserve the hate it seems to get.

I do have one little problem with it, though:

Laguna is so much more likeable than Squall it's ridiculous.

I've only just made it to the second disc, but so far Laguna is a gloriously normal human being whereas Squall appears to be somewhat one-dimensional.

Or maybe I just like Laguna better because he doesn't care so fiercely about not caring. tongue.gif

Then again, I always thought that Rufus was a vastly superior antagonist to Sephiroth, so maybe it's just a personal quirk of mine that I like the secondary an-/protagonist better than the primary one.

Give Squall some time, but you're right (at least IMHO) Laguna is a bit more likable. I also agree with you on the draw mechanic - it's a pain in the ass, and once you have all 100 of a spell you're loathe to use them.

Just give the game a chance, I never thought it deserved the bad press - but it definitely deserved the good press.

Just give the game a chance, I never thought it deserved the bad press - but it definitely deserved the good press.

I like the game, don't get me wrong.

It's just that I enjoy playing Laguna a lot more than I enjoy playing Squall right now. Even if the Laguna sections tend to mess up my carefully crafted Junctions. tongue.gif

OK, so I recently started playing FFVIII and I have to say that, other than the sometimes time-consuming 'drawing' mechanic, it doesn't really deserve the hate it seems to get.

I do have one little problem with it, though:

Laguna is so much more likeable than Squall it's ridiculous.

I've only just made it to the second disc, but so far Laguna is a gloriously normal human being whereas Squall appears to be somewhat one-dimensional.

Or maybe I just like Laguna better because he doesn't care so fiercely about not caring. tongue.gif

Then again, I always thought that Rufus was a vastly superior antagonist to Sephiroth, so maybe it's just a personal quirk of mine that I like the secondary an-/protagonist better than the primary one.

OH yeah. Laguna also gave the game so much necessary comedy relief. He fumbled around the way some of us do when we're around the person we like and all that good stuff. LOL

Squall I think is just a normal introverted teenager. He went through some traumatic shit and well, he really doesn't want to connect with anyone because of it. You can tell he wants to care, but opts not to because the road would remain far "cleaner" that way.

As Leon said though, give 'im time, he'll go up in the esteem level. He does eventually get out of his personal angst/emo trip. LOL

As far as Rufus, I'm in complete agreement with you. He was clever and underhanded, he didn't need bloody super powers or a six foot sword to get his point across. I think he was a well rounded character, and the movie kinda encompassed that. smile.gif

Guest Big Samurai

I believe Fujin does the 'one word at a time' thing to be all badass and intimidating, but there may be more about that in the game that I am not remembering.

Squall is, IMO, a jackass, but, then, I am a big Quistis fan, so I am biased.

I can understand being Biased Sam - I tend to be that way as well. As far as Fujin goes - she can speak (and will soon enough) she just chooses not to most of the time. She just doesn't mince words, she lets her feet, hands and weapon do the talking for her.

It has been my experience that when a perfectly good Japanese game is translated to English it becomes bastardized, and the censorship of somethings is extremely prevalent. I'm reminded of FF VII's vending machine shopping spree in Wall Market. You got expensive, not so expensive, and least expensive instead of the sex toys I've been told are in the original.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Fujin, if I recall correctly she spoke in single kanji in the Japanese version, and, uh, the translation didn't carry that kind of language-specific nuance over.

The main characters in FF8 generally act like realistic teenagers, which makes them (to me) pretty unlikable. I'm a big fan of Raijin, though. I'd like to see more stories where he's not, like, a big evil rapist.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.