Click Here!

Pissed off and totally disclaimed

Guest Christie Webb

Guest Christie Webb

I redid the disclaimer on my story in the Marvel Movies section, but it is still blocked. the wording now reads:

"I do not own or make money from the Captain America Fandom, any Official Marvel'verse characters or the Marvel Fandom in general."

If this is not the format desired by the administrators, perhaps they should be more specific in what they want. This is not my first time having to jump through more hoops than the Danger Room offers to get a story back up. It would be helpful if there was an option to just click a button and get a disclaimer prewitten for the section that the Admins and Mods have aproved, or if there was a cut and paste general disclaimer that we could insert the names of the fandoms into. As it is, stories get blocked or deleted, which can be a huge set back if you typed any part of your story into the box directly, and for no better reason than that the Mods have their panties in a twist because the author tried to be a bit creative in the disclaimer.

And, this is despite the fact that they say you can write it any way you want as long as you include:

A. I do not own

B. I do not make money off of

C. (Name of fandoms involved)

It would help if you could include the name of your story and the archive in which it is published to speed up locating your story.

For future reference, our FAQ on disclaimers does contain examples, including a fairly simple example of a fan fiction disclaimer. We do appreciate a bit of creativity, actually, but there are certain things that must be stated in order to stay in compliance with the copyright laws here in the US. It must state that you do not own the fandom, by name, which for you is Captain America. It must say that you make no money or that you make no profit.

As long as those things are there and unmistakable, I myself enjoy a bit of humor or creativity. It brightens my day immensely, especially when I've had to review over a hundred stories that day for ToS compliance. I will say that we have very clearly defined criteria for leaving a warning on a story about any ToS issue, and everything we moderators do is submitted for review to the administrators, so it's not a case of our being arbitrary. Even the warnings we leave are standardized and written by the administrators. No one is treated differently that way.

As an author, I'm required to observe the exact same rules on this site, and I'd get warned just as quickly and in the exact same manner. In fact, I'd probably get warned faster, since my fellow moderators and the administrators all know a dozen ways to poke me. It's not meant to be punitive, or difficult. It's simply what needs to be done to make sure that fan fiction can continue to be written and published for everyone to enjoy.

the issue is you disclaimed the wrong fandom. You disclaim Captain America when it's listed as a Thor story. If it is indeed a Captain America story, it's in the wrong place.

Guest Christiy Webb

Thank you both, I'm a bit tech-inept so it took me a while to find the FAQ Bronx was talking about, but when I did, it cleared things up. Danyealle, there isn't a spot for a story based on the Captain America movie. The Marvel Movies box only has one sub category (Thor) and it won't let me add another or put in a general location within the Marvel Movies box. I have relocated the story to Marvel Comics>Misc because, even though it is based on a movie, the Comics section has a Misc subsection. I hope this satisfies y'all, but it would be appreciated if Captain America, Iron Man, Hulk, and Avengers could all be added to the MM section.

Christiy Webb,

You can request new categories in this subforum. Requirements are here. To keep the database size down, DG doesn't create the categories until there's a story for them. There may be quite a few more out there, but we haven't gotten to that sub-domain for sort on cleanup yet (we're still in Celeb right now), so unless someone writing to that category requests it, DG doesn't know it's needed.

Hope that helps!

• 3 months later...

@Spi,

Your story has been hidden for being a good chunk of direct copy/paste of 50 Shades of Grey. While we often see things get rewritten, where one uses original source, one must CITE the original source. Otherwise, it's plagiarism. In point of fact, copy/pasting and simply changing names for the bulk of a story is not writing at all. It's not even a rewrite, really.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.