Click Here!

Wading through the crap

EveKnight75

Let's face it. A lot of online fiction stinks. We've all adopted different methods for trying to both find the good fics and avoid the bad ones.

There are the classic methods that everyone uses. Read the title and summary. If the title is OK, the summary is promising, and the language is legible, you click on the link.

Then there's the networking method, where you deal with other people more than the stories themselves. If you've read a certain fic by a certain author and you liked it, you check the author's profile and read his/her other fics. If the person can write one good story, s/he can write several. If someone whose taste you trust recommends a fic, you read it. If someone leaves you an articulate review, you read that person's stories just to see what they're like. If someone gives you a well-written review, then chances are that s/he has a good writing style and shares some of your reading tastes, right?

I also take the extra step of reading review boards. It's actually tricky. The majority of reviews out there are "i liek it plz update". That really tells you nothing. Every other type of review does.

If there's a lot of negative reviews, then you know that the story must be extremely bad. Most people don't bother to review. If several people took the extra step to say something bad, it means that they truly hated it.

If at least 3% of the reviews are articulate and say something beyond "you need a beta", it means that the story was written by someone who's literate. It's not a guarantee that you'll like the content (a summary can easily take care of that). It is a guarantee that you won't get a headache trying to decipher what was written, and that's a fair start.

If at least 3% of the reviews are concrit, you may have hit a jackpot. If there's a fair number of readers leaving concrit, then the author's willing to take it. It means that the author has a good attitude and an evolving writing style. Consider yourself even luckier if the majority of that concrit is positive.

So what are your methods for spotting the good fics and avoiding the bad? Have you ever noticed any special patterns prevalent in certain types of fics that have helped you prejudge fics? Do you have any special tips for us?

ETA: I moved this to Reviews because this is more about reading and judging stories, i.e. "reviewing" them than it is about writing stories. It took me a while to make that decision. If you think this fits better in the main Writers' Corner forum, let me know.

hmmmm... things have come to a point now where I have to dismiss any fic with yaoi in the title simply because I know what I'm gonna see. In some of the sections I visit, it truly is a travesty that some of these "works" are even hosted. Also, AU/AR fics tend to twist the characters beyond recognition (I've yet to see it done properly) so that's an instant no go for me.

Sometimes I feel there's almost like a visible division between those fics that "should be" and those that "shouldn't." It's bordering on snobbery I guess, but it does make it easier to seperate wheat from the chaff.

The problem with reviews is (outside of the HP realm) not enough people leave them, and as you say, when they do it tends to be "pls update!" or a similar variant. I do make a point in my recent fics that I'd appreciate longer reviews - a subtle hint if you will. Some people bite, others don't.

The thing with reviews is - Every person likes different things, so I never go by another's opinion when it comes to reading.

On a similar note, I've come to realise that high number of reviews /ratings != good fic. Conversely, no reviews != bad fic.

For me, it really comes down to an interesting title and summary. If someone has taken the time to write something more interesting than "teh charcters r hvin seXXor" then they've probably taken some time with their fics.

But, I'm rambling again (and probably making no sense) so I'll stop here. wink.gif

• 2 weeks later...
On a similar note, I've come to realise that high number of reviews /ratings != good fic. Conversely, no reviews != bad fic.

In the anime sections that rule doesn't really apply. It appears that readers in the anime realms tend to give high reviews based on anything that ships their favorite pairs from popular series (regardless of spelling, grammar, characters, and plot). I've read a lot of fics that are much better entertainment but hardly have any reviews or stars for some baffling reason.

I do tend to utilize the reviews as a guideline for what I might want to read. If I see a lot of "OMG AWESOME!!111one one!! updat plz!11 sooo Grate!" then I will skim the first page just to check the formatting and usually it ends up hurting my brain. I'll actually read a fic that has even one reviwer that gives about 2 - 3 sentences of constructive feedback because those folks tend to read the fic and critique it based on their love for the characters in the story as well as how the fic was constructed and communicated.

• 7 months later...
Guest Monsterking

Here is what i say to you guys

AT LEAST YOU GOT REVIEWS!!!!!

Sorry if i sound like an ass hole but that is just how i feel since i got only ten in my story Godzilla King of the rainlands in the lion king section and thier all from the same person whom i feel indebted too....

Peace out and as ric flair would say "WOOOOOO!!"

I just read it. I don't try to hide from bad!fics and when I do meet a bad!fic, I spork it. Surely my stuff needs work, but I've sought betas and never got one.

I know the feeling Monsterking... I just reposted fic that I took months ago to tinker with it and all, but one person rated it and lots of people read it, but NO ONE reviewed it. It's fucking Yusuke and Kido screwing! What more could they want?

I....can't generally find good things to read. I like yaoi/slash/guy on guy, but when there's fourty bajillion fanfics on it, and not enough on anything else, it tends to be a problem. So I don't read as much as I write. And I don't get many reviews....tis sad.

Moar het plzkthx. ^_^

I....can't generally find good things to read. I like yaoi/slash/guy on guy, but when there's fourty bajillion fanfics on it, and not enough on anything else, it tends to be a problem. So I don't read as much as I write. And I don't get many reviews....tis sad.

Moar het plzkthx. ^_^

Two things:

1. How do I look for good fictions?

'Recommended' section under good stories are really helpful.

And... this is very helpful: http://original.adult-fanfiction.org/story.php?no=600092544

2. Reviews.

I like getting reviews. They're my window to the 'public opinion' :)

However, I don't feel desperate. If I get a few reviews well written, from the people who are obviously comfortable with the language's secrets and don't seem to be easy to satisfy with a smutty whatnot, then I'm all happy :)

How do I find good fics? The only way that is fool proof: I read as many as I can get my hands on and decide for myself. Fanfiction is a lot like the horror movies that I love, just because some old fart critic says that they're terrible, doesn't make it so. I have read fics that no one knows about and were absolutely brilliant. It's all a matter of personal taste. If a fic has me hitting the next chapter button and immediately reading it instead of going to the next chapter, not reading it and going to play mahjong, then returning several minutes later to finish reading it, then it's a good fic.