Click Here!

Latest Page "Fix" & TOS Update

Guest DarkAvenger

Guest DarkAvenger

The problem with minor edits bumping fics to the top on the "latest" pages and inside of categories on the site has been taken care of. The new coding is in place and working as of 7:24pm MST August 13, 2007.

As such, the TOS rule about editing is no longer applicable and has been removed. That was simply a stop-gap measure while the coding was being completed

How does the new coding work out of curiosity? Previously it seemed like every single change made to a story would bump it to the top. What bumps now specifically?

Agaib brings up a good question. Does an edit still bump a fic up to the top, or has the coding been changed so that only the addition of a new chapter will create a bump?

Either way, it's a wonderful thing that we can finally tell the difference between an edit and a new chapter without clicking on the title. It saves us a lot of trouble.

some people don't know what makes a good chapter length, some of them just can't manage to write that much.

and Nan's right. the whole purpose of this fix is to prevent chapters that are merely edited from rising to the top. it should help keep some people happy and keep them from screaming about those fics that try to remain on the top for hours on end.

Guest DarkAvenger

This is quickly becoming my mantra...

You can never please everyone.

I think that should be... clear enough, as to what I mean. Is it not? lol

If anyone notices bugs in the new coding, please hold your horses, we are currently working on it. And yes, I do mean currently. Little miss carpal tunnel (that would be me) and Lang (that would be the newest tech) are currently sitting right here working on it. Patience is a virtue and the more I have to answer about bugs in the code, the less I get done ON the code. XD

Note: the above is because of the volume of emails I have received today.

Thank you!!

DarkAvenger - You can never please everyone, sure, but you can definetely please some people. I am PLEASED about the new coding, in fact that is the best thing that happened on the main site lately.

I would like to thank DarkAvenger and Lang (welcomes!) for working on making it possible (virtual arm and hand massage to all AFF techs smile.gif )

Thank you DA, 'Trae and Lang, (who I have yet to have the pleasure of meeting, but, WELCOME A'BOARD!) for working on this.

Now, though we can't stop everyone from trying to work their way around it, this will certainly stop people who would normally do it out of sheer attention-whoredom.

Thanks so much guys for doing this, I for one am EXTREMELY pleased with it. LOL bounce.gif

Echtrae is getting a virtual hand, arm and back massages for the original edit!

Personally, I think that people who make this site possible don't get enough credit because all work is done behind the scenes, so to speak.

attention-whoredom.
rofl.gif Yeah, those people will be pissed not being able to bump stories up anymore

Personally, I think that people who make this site possible don't get enough credit because all work is done behind the scenes, so to speak.

That is so true! I'm also pleased with the new coding; I always tried to make edits in one pass, but then I'd always find something else and have to either comb to find others or just let the errors ride so as not to bump. I think most people (the sane ones anyway) will be very happy.

For those who are simply in it for the whoring, is there any way we can direct them to StoryWar?

Basically, everyone there submits a story in an attempt to challenge each other and win for having one of the most popular stories. This is done by rating and reviewing each other, and whichever fic has the highest ratings and best reviews win. It's the ultimate in review-whoring!

I don't know if they accept fanfiction, but I can ask.

Meanwhile, stick to your mantra because you know it's true. At the same time, know that we at the forums appreciate all of your hard work, so there's a sizable number of people you are pleasing.

you're right, DA. you can never please everyone.

regardless, i'm all for saying i love that you and Trae and Lang *waves hi to the new tech* are doing your best to make the site work. and work well, too.

hug.gifthumbsup.gifkissblush.gifcheers.gif

Now, though we can't stop everyone from trying to work their way around it, this will certainly stop people who would normally do it out of sheer attention-whoredom.

LOL! I have to say this is a great thing. I know people who will edit two words and then it would bump.

Besides if you wanted true whoredom why not just post all of your work on a signature here *points to siggy* SEE?! That's the way you get people to acknowledge your work! LOL

Just letting you know that the new coding seems to work fine. I read Original and Harry Potter archives and they are better now; it's so easy to see new chapters posted! Thank you! Miraculosly, most updated stories don't get 'edited' anymore, the update and edit dates remain the same! Very nice.