Click Here!

Which is harder?

Guest Alien Pirate Pixagi

Is it easier to write your own original characters, or to write another person's character (like when writing fan fiction)?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Is it easier to write your own original characters, or to write another person's character (like when writing fan fiction)?

• Original Character
    • Someone Else's Character
    • Both are equally hard to write for.

Guest Alien Pirate Pixagi

I ask because I know a lot of people HATE writing OC's, while others prefer to add them into a fanfic if not actually writing an original story for them, and I know that one of the reasons is that writing and original character, to them, may be easier or harder then dealing with a premade character.

I, personally, find them both equally difficult/simple. When working with a premade character, I have to try and stay within the set personality of the character, making sure that it's still that person and not just an OC wearing their skin. This can be especially difficult when writing a character that is very different from any other character I've written.

At the same time, the character is already set up for me, their likes, dislikes and normal disposition already laid out before me.

With an OC, I;m handed the task of making sure they're realistic, and not just a glorified version of myself. I also have to BUILD the character from scratch while doing this. I need to figure out who they are and make sure that translates in the story.

However, they're MY character, so there's very little I can do with them that would be out of character 'cause I said so ^__^ Also, the only flaws and traits they'd have would be those I decided I wanted/needed them to have, rather then something that makes no sense to me.

Like you, Pix, I find that existing characters, if well written, are pretty easy to write for (if you're keeping them in character and not bastardizing them). In the HP stories I've written, working with whoever was a simple task (Snape, Lucius, Harry, etc). OCs in fanfiction are harder, I think, because you're constantly aware of the possible "self-insertion" tag, but like you said, they're yours and you can do whatever you bloody well please with them. No one knows them better than you.

As for an original story; I think the burden of making good characters is more pronounced. I'm fleshing out characters for an original story now and I'm very aware of what traits they need to have to evoke the desired response to them (sympathy, disgust, annoyance, etc.). In fanfiction, although I may love some of my OCs, they kind of feel like out of town visiting relatives, but in original stories, my characters are family.

Wish we had an option:

Both are pretty easy

Because that is how I fell about them.

Of course, I havn't written that much comparing to other people, but whatever came out was pretty easy. My story is HP, right, so I have Draco, Harry, Pansy, Ron and Hermione as a main cast. Well, they are NOT exactly IC because JK went pretty skimpy on many things in character descriptions. I had to take Original HP Characters as a base and build on top of that fondation, so to speak. Are they OOC? Sure! Are they IC? Of course, partially. The entire thing is just for fun. It comes out as it does.

I have a few original stories in different stages of development, and all Original Characters came to me pretty easy.

I voted for:

Original Character

Just because there are no restraints put upon Characters by the Original Writer.

I would disagree about restraints with regard to original characters. Despite the fact that My original characters are "Mine" and I can do whatever I want with them, I don't feel as if I can just just write them with no restrains. I suppose that during the creation of a character one can make them however they wish. Once the character has been established It's important to maintain consistency (or at the very least, explain inconsistencies). The problem is, if you character is significantly inconsistent (original or not) intelligent readers will call shenanigans on you. dry.gif

I voted original characters. I've had a hard time with an original I've been working on. the characters right now are John and Jane because I can't come up with a name and no matter what I do they all sound the same lol.

At least when writing fan fiction or about a pre-made character....at least you know how they act and what they'd do.

It's easier to write someone else's characters, especially if you have been writing about the same ones for the longest time. After learning about their personality and you keep them in character, it becomes as easy as knowing the back of your hand. You begin to know instantly what decisions or actions they would make in any given situation. I've given original stories a shot many times and the hardest thing you have to do before adding the characters into your story, is deciding what kind of personality they will have and how you want them to take part in the plot. I can understand why original character writing would be easier for most people, because in order to write a really good fanfic, you have to make sure you are always in character.

Agaib - I definetely see your point here. Exept in the Original I am working on one of the main characters is Good. But Bad. He is Good and Bad at the same time. The other one could be considered Good, exept he is too messed up to be Bad. Sure, there are some character restrictions, but with a cast like that... Hmmm. I need to write more to figure this one out.

I think both original characters and fanfic characters are equally challenging in their own way.

When it comes to fanfiction, it is important to keep them in character. It helps that there's already a base to work with, but that's not enough. When you write a story, you have to develop the characters as you go along. It can be challenging to develop a fanfic character and keep it IC without ending up with an extremely flat stereotype. In that regard, it's important not only to know the surface of the character, but what's lurking beneath as well. In my case, it's especially important because the majority of the fanfic characters I work with happen to be teenagers, so their personalities are permanently on the cusp of transition as far as canon is concerned.

Reading a character for yourself isn't that hard at all. Making sure that your audience is in general agreement with how your reading of a character is reflected in your writing is quite different.

I've always found it easy to create the base for an original character. Aside from names, it's effortless. What's a lot harder is building on that character and keeping the character consistent. Sure, you have the right to do whatever the hell you want because it's your character. But do you want to create a crappy character? I don't think anyone does. It's a lot more challenging to build a character with depth and keep the character consistent at the same time. The surface of the personality is fairly easy to create, but creating the layers underneath is one of the biggest challenges.

OC

My OC's are a part of me. I'm so narcissistic that it's possible. (Not that I'm admitting any mental illness or anything) OC's very often are people that populate my dreams. Sometimes, based on real people I know. So character development of someone I know...I examine them...I pay attention to them..I analyze them....I stalk them...(oops, did I say "stalk"?) But I'm not that mentally unbalanced, really. I mean...I'm NOT a stalker. I could NEVER be a stalker. The Idea is totally repugnant.

I find it far more challenging to write someone else's character. You don't have a whole lot of room to get squirrelly, ie- they're (usually) already totally mapped out for you. Everyone knows that Jayne's pretty much a hardened criminal with a soft spot for guns and his mum. If Jayne is able to know how to fix the engines or snuggles lovingly with River, he's OOC in my opinion.

My main project has just as many original characters as it does canon characters. It's a lot easier to be able to mold the OCs to fit my situations than it is to be able to have my canon characters react as they would normally.

• 3 months later...

i find it harder writing fanfic characters because everyone has their own perception of how that character would act or speak and if you don't get it right, they will bore of your fic very quickly, but with OC's you can make them do or say anything because they are your babies and it is in your mind alone how they will act in certain situations. I find it hard to write in my gw fanfics when the characters get to certain spots cause i'm not sure how to write it realistically, but when I wrote in my novel Solstice, I clocked thirty pages in one day, it just flowed for me because I had an intimate understanding of my characters.

I find original characters generally easier, or at least more pleasant, to write. I don't like playing in other peoples sand boxes, becuase if I mess up a character, fans get hissy. Its hard to write a character that hundreds of people have their own opinions perset on.

Original characters, however, give me more freedom, and give me more satisfaction too when people like them.

Yah, theres my two sense worth.

OCs in a fanfic are the trickiest to write, I think. You have to really flesh them out or people will write your story off as a Mary Sue. That being said, I think borrowed characters are easier to write for in general because of all the history and background information that comes with them. You don't have to set up the story as much as you do with an original character. And if you don't want to keep them IC, all you have to do is say it's AU and you're golden LOL

Overall, I have to say writing someone elses characters are more tricky. Especially if you are doing a certain fandom or character (Say Harry Potter, LOTR, etc). People who enjoy these characters and fandoms come to expect that their favorite characters will behave and act a certain way.

Soooo, you (in my humble opinion) as an author have to remain 'faithful' to how canon characters act, but while still telling a great story (even if it is say Slash or something that might not be found by the original author- like HP slash)

I've tried to do this with the Sopranos and Harry Potter, it is a delicate thing to do because you are introducing new characters, but yet you want to remain faithful to the characters that the people enjoy.

Original characters are easy because they are all 'yours' there is no right or wrong way. Who's going to say your original character is out of character, ya know? cool.gif