Click Here!

The big C word

Melrick

Up until maybe a couple of months ago, I would have challenged anybody to look at my 86 year old dad and say he didn’t look fifteen years younger, if not twenty. He didn’t just look much younger, he behaved like a much younger man. He’s never been the sort of person that could just sit around doing nothing; he always had to be active and doing things.

But then something happened. He suddenly got sicker and sicker, his appetite vanished, he got skinnier and skinnier, he was in constant – and ever-growing – pain, and for the first time in his life, he looked like an old man. That’s perhaps been the biggest shock of all, seeing him become a sick, weak old man in a matter of weeks.

The weird thing about parents is that, to their children, they tend to be seen as almost immortal; they’re always going to be around, surely! But then one gets sick, very sick, and suddenly they don’t look immortal at all.

My dad has been diagnosed with bone cancer around his shoulder blade, and they’re next going to be conducting more extensive tests in other parts of his body, obviously to see if it’s anywhere else. It’s good that we finally know what’s wrong, but the knowledge doesn’t bring much comfort.

CANCER, the big C word, just like FUCK is the big F word, yet cancer causes people to shudder in near-horror like the F word never could. Being a life-long smoker, up until a year ago, means cancer isn’t surprising, but it by no means lessens the impact. There are not many things people fear more than cancer. It’s not the virtual death sentence that it once was, but it still doesn’t make a person less terrified of it.

The old man might frequently be a pain in the arse, but I’d still much prefer to have the annoying old bugger around.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry to hear the news, Melrick, although I know they've been dancing around this diagnosis with you for a while now.

There really are no words of wisdom that help, but if you need to vent, I do listen well.

Edited by BronxWench

I'm sorry to hear that, Melrick. The big C is a horrible thing and there is nothing i can say to make it easier. Just roll with the punches the best you can. Will keep you and your father in my thoughts.

Hang in there for his sake Melrick, all I can say. I lost a grandfather to that recently, so it won't be easy. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

• 3 weeks later...

In all my nearly 40 years on this earth, I've never seen my dad so much as shed a tear. Crying is not his thing at all, much like me except even more strongly. So to see him sitting there, looking weak and skinny, crying his eyes out, was more of a shock - not to mention deeply distressing and heart-wrenching - than being told he has terminal lung cancer. I'm supposed to be the strong one for my mum, but she was the one comforting me as I stood - and then sat - there crying. What a fucking horrible time.

There's nothing I can say to make this any easier on you Melrick. I know how hard it was on my husband and his brothers when his dad was diagnosed with this same thing a few years back. All I can tell you is to make the most of the time you have. It does help later.

Melrick, like DG said, there is nothing I can say to make this easier. I lost my husband to the disease about 10 years ago (though not lung cancer, it was another kind) and nothing makes it easier, nothing. Just take it one day at a time, my friend, that's all you can do and enjoy the time you have left with him. Beyond that, try to stay strong and roll with the punches. It's not easy but just try. If you need anything, you yell. I'm more than willing to listen. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts.

Melrick, I'm so very sorry. I lost two uncles to cancer, and have an aunt who survived thus far but will never be without that shadow.

There's really no words, other than to offer a shoulder when you need one.

What Bronxie said Melrick. Odd thing about the time left they give you, is it actually depends on how much of a fighter the person with cancer is. My father in law was given the same, but lived another 3 years.

Unfortunately, I don't see that happening in this case. I hope I'm wrong, but he's deteriorated pretty quickly in a short time.

And thanks again, you two.