Click Here!

Is there any way to subscribe to a story for emailed updates?

Guest Kdvb1000

Guest Kdvb1000

I haven't found any way to subscribe to an unfinished story so I can get emailed when the author updates. Is there any way?

Also is there a way to favorite stories or authors so I can find them again?

I looked around and this seems to be the place to put these questions. If I'm wrong and there's somewhere else ...I'm so sorry....and could you let me know where these questions should go?

Hey, Kdvb1000.

I'm not a staff member but I can help you with this.

This is the right place for these kinds of questions. And I would like to direct you to this post, which answers all of your questions:

http://www2.adult-fanfiction.org/forum/index.php/topic/27760-confused-o-0/

Welcome to the site and have fun, and don't hesitate to ask if there is anything else.

Thanks so much for the reply!

Wow...no way to favorite or add to email alerts for stories? o.O That makes it really hard to read anything here that isn't finished. *sighs* I wonder if TPTB here at AFF would consider adding those features.

Thanks again for your time and answer. ;-)

BTW...I love your quote: "Never work with children or animals, or animal-like children. ( Jason Isaacs)"

I adore Jason Isaacs...seems like a real sweetie and he has such a way with characters. When he's playing a bad guy he is just so good that (Lucius, Hook, Col. Tavington) I never know whether I want to smack him with my hand or my lips... *grins*

*waves* Hi! I be TPTB!!

Anyway, to add onto what Willow has already said, you can add it to your recommended reading in your profile as a way to remember to look at them or any of the other ways that was suggested. Otherwise, I would refer you to the following News Post from earlier this year :)http://www2.adult-fanfiction.org/forum/index.php/topic/19504-site-news-1-22-11/

Hope that helps!

*waves* Hi! I be TPTB!! Anyway, to add onto what Willow has already said, you can add it to your recommended reading in your profile as a way to remember to look at them or any of the other ways that was suggested. Otherwise, I would refer you to the following News Post from earlier this year :)http://www2.adult-fanfiction.org/forum/index.php/topic/19504-site-news-1-22-11/ Hope that helps!

Thank you for the info and link! ;-) So it looks like it's being worked on but may not work with the current software. Hopefully that will work out in the future. I don't know much about websites but it seems like it could be easier to start over with new software that does everything everyone wants(if it's not too expensive) and have the authors copy and paste their stories to the new software...then when everything gets transferred start using the new software. Probably would be time consuming...but the forums could stay the same (as I think they are separate) and with the authors pasting their own stories I'm not sure what else would have to be transferred over by the site owners/volunteers.

I'd volunteer to help. I'm new here but I have 2 other websites that I moderate so I have people that can vouch for me. ;-) Not sure how hard it is to transfer things over. At the one website I moderate 2 people got a new version of it up and running and transferred a lot of text over and it took them months. With the authors doing their own work (unless they are MIA which happens and then volunteers could help) and lots of volunteers(I'm assuming their would be lot's of volunteers..lol) it shouldn't take too long. And, everyone would still have this main site to use until it was up and running.

Erm....but like I said...I don't really know that much about software and websites so it might cost too much for the software and there might be other issues I don't know about. ;-) Just rambling my thoughts and ideas...lol.

You could go direct to the source and ask the author to do email updates or twit-updates. A number already do!

How do the author's do email updates? Do they put you on an email list and email the group of people when a new chapter is up?

Thanks again everyone for all the info. and feedback! Y'all are fantastic!

We are actually in the middle of a complete code rewrite which will see features being added in over the next year or so until such time as we transition completely to the new code. The issue that we have is that our archive is too large for ANY of the current archiving software to be able to handle it, believe you me, we've checked! Right now we are holding steady at about 8GBs for our database which incorporates 10 years worth of story data, user data, reviews etc. Since we use a database system, new software wouldn't involve user transfers, just how the software accesses it, however like I said, our archive is just too large of any of the software currently in use. The only other archive that is larger than us is FanFiction.net and they have their own custom coded software as well. It's just been a long process as new software costs money and until recently we were only bringing in enough to cover our hosting costs.

I suggest keeping an eye out on our news posts, which are posted the 1st Sunday of every month here in the forums, assuming my life doesn't negatively impact it (and even then I'm normally only a day or two late) and then cross linked to the main page of the archive and in each sub-domain for updates on what is coming and when.

We are actually in the middle of a complete code rewrite which will see features being added in over the next year or so until such time as we transition completely to the new code. The issue that we have is that our archive is too large for ANY of the current archiving software to be able to handle it, believe you me, we've checked! Right now we are holding steady at about 8GBs for our database which incorporates 10 years worth of story data, user data, reviews etc. It's just been a long process as new software costs money and until recently we were only bringing in enough to cover our hosting costs.

I figured it had to be a money issue... :-( Things are tight everywhere...especially with great places like this one. So basically we need to win the powerball lotto and donate oodles of money so we can pay for all the upgrades. I volunteer to win it and donate...lol...would've made a great Christmas gift! If wishes were horses and all that. ;-)

It's great that you all are able to do the upgrades at all. I really like this place and have been referred to it many times from authors on FFN.

Thanks again for your time and the information!

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.