Click Here!

Fannon Future

madlodger

Which trend is most likely to happen?  

1. 1. Which trend is most likely to happen?

• People will be writing their own Book Seven because they hated the cannon.
    • People will be writing Book Eight to continue the saga.
    • There will be a mass exodus out of fandom because of book 7.
    • Fandom will increase, popularity will remain high.
    • We'll see a lot of AU adult Harry and friends fics.
    • Other trends you believe will happen (specify)

The Book Seven is coming soon now. How will it change HP fandom? There will be no more books, according to JK. She might release small ones, like Fantastic Beasts, but no Book Eight.

Fandoms have trends. For example, I started reading HP fiction when Veela trend was in a full swing. Later it was abused Harry and Snape as a mentor type of fics.

What is going to happen now?

Give your predictions, dear devoted fans smile.gif

This poll doesn't cover all possibilities (how could it?), that's why I added the last choice. Personally, I have that feeling that the last book may be upsetting, so people would write their own or continue the story with a Book Eight.

Maybe the time turner stories will get popular again.

You right, dazzledfirestar! It's a strong possibility. I didn't even think of that one when making a poll, darn it! I expect that some beloved major characters will either die or get permanently injured, so the Time Turner trend is very likely.

I think the every single one of these possibilities will happen. After the seventh book comes out, the fandom will start to wind down.

Fics centered around the postwar world, Harry and co. as adults (and their kids) already run rampant. After Book 7, there will be a surge in them. There'll also be more heated debates about what's plausible in canon and what isn't. No one will have the defense of "it could still come about in canon" because canon will be complete. This debate will branch out to the final flame wars about AU vs. "written before the book".

I don't think there really will be any finalizations made in fanon until the movie franchise ends as well because there are so many fandom writers who rely heavily on the movie-verse. During that wind-down, the badfics will dwindle as well because the ones left will be the truly devoted fans.

My personal favorite prediction: unauthorized biographies. If either Harry or Voldemort dies, someone will try to write a full biography for one of the characters. In fact, I think this can extend to other characters with devoted fanbases, including Snape, Lucius, Draco, and Neville.

Unauthorized Biographies That is a very good idea! Another one I didn't think of. I would like to read one on Draco and one on Weasley twins, as their full potential was never explored in fannon, cannon or movies (movies being the worst about it and just giving us a glimpse)

I agree that there will be a shift in fannon. It won't go away, of course, Star Wars one has been around for, er, quarter century now, right?

Fics centered around the postwar world, Harry and co. as adults (and their kids) already run rampant.

Completely true. There will be a new influx of those and they will have a different flavor because of Book Seven's outcome. There will be some squabble, I'm sure and some current AUs will become obsolete.

I do expect more of quality fics to appear, written by more mature fanwriters smile.gif

Of course there will always be fanbrats!

All I'm saying is that the only fanbrats that will remain will be either the ones with longer attention spans or the ones who are so devoted to the series that their fics will actually improve over time.

I can safely say that most fanbrats have short attention spans and are usually in a fandom for the review glory. They're the ones that will finally be purged.

Of course there will always be fanbrats!

All I'm saying is that the only fanbrats that will remain will be either the ones with longer attention spans or the ones who are so devoted to the series that their fics will actually improve over time.

I can safely say that most fanbrats have short attention spans and are usually in a fandom for the review glory. They're the ones that will finally be purged.

And good riddance! I hope the heavy oak doors of Hogwarts don't hit them in the ass on their way out! laugh.gif

Sorry... that was a bit harsh! blush.gif

I picked the first choice because I remember after OoTP that there were a sudden influx of Sirius didn't die fics, or a people writing so-called "end letters" from Sirius to Harry. Hell, when I write my HP stories I usually set it after book three because that, to me, was the last decent book in the series dry.gif

That's my rant laugh.gif

Eve and Daz - don't even get me started on a subject of fanbrats...

People who write horrible HP fics. no.gif

People who havn't actually read the books. realmad.gif

People who repeat same info from HP Lexicon over and over in their fics. sick.gif

... or there will be a Fanbrat Poll posted, a mean one smile.gif

There seems to be more of them these past few years and finding a decent fic becomes a shore.

ZombieDuke -

I picked the first choice because I remember after OoTP that there were a sudden influx of Sirius didn't die fics, or a people writing so-called "end letters" from Sirius to Harry.

That makes a lot of sense. I really hope that Book Seven will be great, but, more likely, it will be, er... anticlimactic. I am very concerned about Harry, he will either die or loose his powers. That would be very upsetting, that boy had a crappy life so far with Hogwarts being the only good thing.

I picked book 8 because I can see people who really love the series wanting it to go on forever.

I can also see a lot of AU's poping up. Oh noes, they killed Snape off! However can I get him and Hermione together, now? I know! I'll write an AU fic where he doesn't die!! *SQUEE* laugh.gif

Anywho... Everyone's thrown out good ideas. All I have to add is that it will survive.

Oh, and I practially live on HP Lexicon when I'm writing. blush.gif I'm a stickler for getting my cannon facts straight. Or at least, if it's something I'm making up as I go, I want it to sound as authentic and plausible as possible. wink.gif

Oh, and I practially live on HP Lexicon when I'm writing. blush.gif I'm a stickler for getting my cannon facts straight. Or at least, if it's something I'm making up as I go, I want it to sound as authentic and plausible as possible. wink.gif

I'm with you on this one Nan! In fact, I have the Lexicon open in another window right now! (btw... see the bit on Invisibility Cloaks... I didn't have it expand just for the sake of the Sues!! tongue.gifwink.gif )

Nan and Daz -

Oh, and I practially live on HP Lexicon when I'm writing.  I'm a stickler for getting my cannon facts straight.
I have the Lexicon open in another window right now! (btw... see the bit on Invisibility Cloaks...

I use it too smile.gif It's a really good reference material and it's perfectly normal to use it for REFERENCE. Plus you, guys are not Fanbrats! rofl.gif

It seems that some actual Fanbrats use it to compensate for not reading books, though. They would read the wizard's General Profile and sort of build the fic on that, repeating the same thing over. They do that with Draco a lot, which is one of my favorite characters, so I get annoyed by that.

What I think about the future of HP fandom?

Much as I love the story itself, it is coming to its end and I don't think JKR will try to write another big book with poor Harry (who I suspect, might as well die, judging by the notion of killing off important characters).

That's why I think that fanfiction will take over, and - because in book 7 Harry will be an adult (at least by Wizard standards) - it will be mostly with him as an adult. Now, as we saw after book 6, people were disappointed with it and made their own version of what they thought should have happened ... I do expect many of them to be disapointed with book 7, too.

So I think adult Harry AU fics will abound. Just to compensate for the said disappointment.

I tend to agree with Eve on all possibilities, at least for a time. My interest in writing HP fics has pretty much died, and I'm bracing myself for the disappointment and dissatisfaction I might have with DH (hopefully not). I think the terrible fics by fanbrats are responsible for my lack of interest, they're worse than Dementors when it comes to sucking the soul out of anything. Honestly, I've seen some stories where the HP universe is so bastardized it's unrecognizable. no.gif

Oh man, I bet you all that Remus is gonna bite the bullet fighting Greyback or some nonsense like that.

Wouldn't it be cool if Harry ended up as a werewolf? biggrin.gif (I can dream cool.gif )

I have never heard of HP Lexicon before... hmmmm... I usually just go to wikipedia for my info...

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.