Click Here!

Merpy Chrismahanukwanzakah

ApolloImperium

Thank you to the smartalec’s out there who voted “Wait, I should actually be reading the news?” as it gave me a good giggle! Since out of the overwhelming 17 people who voted, 70.59% of the people who voted like the new format, we shall continue on with it!

What a mouthful!! I hope you have a wonderful holiday no matter how you celebrate! Take a look below at the last news post of 2011! (Wait, 2011 is almost done? When did that happen...)

A quick summary of what is included in this month’s edition:

• Repeat & Update: A fellow Fan Fiction Site needs help! Donate to TheSilverSnitch!
  • We currently have a PayPal balance of $400.03 after December’s hosting costs have been paid.
  • Calendar Contest voting has closed! Store is revamped for 2012!
  • Important changes to the Archive Registration and Log-in. If you read nothing else, please read this post.
  • Duplicate Accounts
  • Underage users
  • Archive Moderation and Clean-up status

AFF has long been dedicated to ensuring Fan Fiction freedom. It was brought to our attention that a much loved archive TheSilverSnitch.Net has gone down. The Harry Potter community seems to be extremely saddened by the loss; however it is not due to the owner, but due to the lack of support. The poor owner has been deluged in email asking why the site isn’t up, where everything went etc. People have been yelling at her even!

Most Fan Fiction Archives need donations and TheSilverSnitch is no different. Believe me, I don’t run this for the money (I make none) and I don’t have the money to do it alone. AFF has been extremely lucky to have fans that have contributed in the past before we became able to cover our costs with advertising revenue. So before you get on your high horse about the site being down right now, remember that us Owner’s do this for you guys and often can’t afford to pay for it on our own. On behalf of TheSilverSnitch, please if you can spare any money; donate to TheSilverSnitch by sending money through PayPal to the following address: arwenelve13@yahoo.com

Update: While TSS has gotten a fair amount of donations, don’t forget that money is key. We have it on good authority that it shall be rising from the ashes (pun intended), but keep the money coming and don’t forget to donate to not just TSS but any Fan Fiction site that is run via donations that you love to read on!

Speaking of support, our PayPal balance is currently at $400.03 after we paid December’s hosting costs. As mentioned above, donations are always appreciated! We are slowly diminishing our reserve as we pay for the upgrades, so please if you have any spare money and would like to support us and the upgrade, we would appreciate it!

Did you see all the wonderful entries into our Calendar Contest this year? The top three entries have been added to our CafePress store. While there are some edits still to be made, the photos have been uploaded, the calendars have been put together and products have been picturefied! If there is something you’d like to see with one of the pictures on it and you don’t see it, just let me know and I’ll add it! I’ll be adding things periodically, but asking can always make it come up faster! All items have a $3 markup on the base cost, so we do make a small amount of money off it.

Because this topic is so important, it has its own topic here! A basic overview is that as part of the upgrades we in the midst of making, our registration is being made more secure and log in procedures are changing. Registration and login will be governed by email address. Registration will REQUIRE self-validation. This also means you MUST use a valid, WORKING email address. Users registering with disposable email addresses will be rejected and/or deleted when found. As the email is hidden in the profile, unless the user CHOOSES to display it, there's no real concern for spam and other issues. Please make sure you read this topic before the changed are put in place in mid-December – It’ll help save all of us a lot of headaches!!

Because again, it’s so important, despite it’s already being in the topic listed above, let’s talk about this again! With the upcoming changes to registration, this will also be affected. If you think you've registered before, but aren't sure, please email. If you know you've registered before, but no longer have access to the email account you registered with, please email. I'll be happy to assist you in regaining access to your account.

If you want to have more than one archive account, be aware that it's only allowed in rare circumstances. You do need to contact us so we can tell you whether or not it will be allowed.

If you have a joint account with someone else, or want to have a joint account with someone else, be sure to contact staff with the individual user details. We do need to have that on file.

I'm revisiting this because with the changes to registration, if you have duplicate accounts, they will be locked until I merge them. The software will do this locking, not me. If there are a great many like this, and I suspect there will be, as I have to do the merging in the database itself, it'll take some time to work through them all. I won't be able to do this in a week or two, if the numbers are as I expect. So, as you can see, it's very important that we know about multiple accounts belonging to one user, as I don't want to see any of you unable to access your data because of it when these changes do occur.

I'm stating the obvious here. You MUST be 18 or OLDER to use any part of this site. Regardless of where you live in the world. We are governed by U.S. age laws, so if you're from overseas and not yet 18, we'll be happy to see you here when you are 18 years old.

I'm going to revisit the old minor problem. If you were under 18 at the time of registration, up through approximately fall of 2008, if you have data you posted before you turned 18, it will be deleted. Understand that I have to do this. I CAN'T grandfather this in, due to the type of material on the site itself, and the age restrictions we must operate by.

If the user is inactive, and all data is pre age 18, user and data are deleted. You are welcome to repost your data as you're now over that age, but, I do have to do this. You can always make this easier on yourself, make sure the data is backed up, and contact staff. It'll be modified from there. Unfortunately, when I process this, this also means the reviews attached to the stories, the reviews left by the underage users, and etc. It's all deleted.

We are still working on moderating the archive and cleaning up from the crash, you can always review our progress at the following links: Monthly Moderation Update & Clean Up Update

Thank you so much for taking the time to review the news and of course if you have any questions, please let us know!

Happy writing,

Apollo & DemonGoddess061