Click Here!

Citizenship for Mexicans?

Okay I 'm not sure if this is place to post this but here goes:

Two gentlemen came into my place of employment and were talking, they of course brought the conversation the register and I joined in.

The one guy mentioned the Mexican guys who are working on the Pizza Hut roof and said something that got me to thinking. He said it's funny how they hired a bunch of Mexican workers, not a SINGLE American worker, and since they have the employment and this other shit the have a citizenship for the US.

He mentioned something else that REALLY caught my attention, he said that if they truly wanted to be here in the US then why couldn't they go fight in Iraq and earn their citizenship that way?

My only comment was that he had a point! If they want to be here soo bad then why can't they go fight in the war? I know they probably enjoy the roofing job, and building shit they do but why don't they offer to go fight?

I just thought this was interesting and wanted someone else's view on it, hence this post.

Guest Adara
Okay I 'm not sure if this is place to post this but here goes:

Two gentlemen came into my place of employment and were talking, they of course brought the conversation the register and I joined in.

The one guy mentioned the Mexican guys who are working on the Pizza Hut roof and said something that got me to thinking. He said it's funny how they hired a bunch of Mexican workers, not a SINGLE American worker, and since they have the employment and this other shit the have a citizenship for the US.

He mentioned something else that REALLY caught my attention, he said that if they truly wanted to be here in the US then why couldn't they go fight in Iraq and earn their citizenship that way?

My only comment was that he had a point! If they want to be here soo bad then why can't they go fight in the war? I know they probably enjoy the roofing job, and building shit they do but why don't they offer to go fight?

I just thought this was interesting and wanted someone else's view on it, hence this post.

I have quite a bit to say about this. I AM of Mexican decent, and not only did those comments sound rather racist, they're also untrue.

I assure you, that most Mexicans who are young enough to fight, ARE inlisting and ARE fighting the war in Iraq along with any other American. I've also heard of others not going after their citizenship simply because they joined the Armed Forces.

Some died as the Mexicans they were, fighting a war that had nothing to do with their country, and everything to do with the belief that the US was right in what they were doing.

Secondly, those workers working no doubt on a hot day patching up roofs? I assure you, that the positions are open for EVERYONE. So are those positions in the fields picking strawberries and cabbage from 5am to 6pm. Why are there no AMERICANS doing them? Because it's sometimes too LOW and deeming for them to do. I mean, spend a whole day bent over picking vegetables?

Hell, I wouldn't want to work those jobs. Gimme a desk job any day. It's funny, but, did you or those guys KNOW they were just Mexican and NOT Mexican-American like me?

I would suggest to anyone making stereotypes and assumptions like that to know their facts before they spoke out.

EDIT: I am truly sorry if I came out rather strong, I just never appreciated something like that.

This has been an issue for generations, and not just with people from Mexico. I'll give you an example.

In 1927, a young couple from Kiev moved to Canada and started a family. Granted they were legal immigrants, but follow along for a bit. They built up a farm out of the worst land possible because it was cheap and no one of "Canadian" desent wanted it. They raised their family in peace, but were still the "dirty Pollack family" (which is even more ironic seeing as they were Ukrainian, not Polish.). When WWII started, all their sons who were of age (or close to) enlisted. Two of them died in combat, but the family was still, to the "real" Canadians just dirty Pollacks.

This is my family's history. The moral of the story... being born somewhere doesn't make you a better citizen and some people (like those who spit at my family no matter how much they worked) don't deserve the place they have as citizens.

Granted, the war that is going on now is a little different than WWII, and the situation for the people from Mexico is far more complicated, but the feelings of the "citizens" seems the same.

Would it matter if these men were to fight for the USA? Probably not. They'd come back (God willing) and still be the "Dirty Mexicans".

Living in Texas gives me a lot of time to watch things like this happen. I personally don't give a flying rat's ass where you were born, what your nationality is, or what color your skin is. What I care about is you as a person and what you do with the life you were handed. (And I'm using You as an all encompassing pronoun - I don't mean any one of you specifically) Are you lazy and take what's given to you as your right instead of a little help when you need it? Or do you work hard (sometimes at menial jobs that pay next to nothing), live strong, and love completely?

Whether you fight in the war is not the issue. It's how you feel about the country you reside in. It's how you treat your fellow Earthlings that matter - it's you as a person that matters.

This is one of my pet peeves. People tend to assume things about you based just on your appearance. Just because I have red hair and blue eyes and talk with an accent doesn't mean that I am stupid, hot to trot, a slut, a witch, a bitch, or of any nationality. It means I'm a person with feelings and ideals of my own. Get to know someone before you throw out useless names to describe them.

Why is it that people have to be so fucking hateful?! I know I've rambled a bit, but I can't help it. Aliens (be it illegal or legal) came to the country they reside in for a better life - who are we to tell them they can't have it because of where they come from? It's disgraceful that people look closer at some nationalities than others - but I understand a little of why we do. It's a learned response - especially when we are at war with their home country.

I guess it's just human nature, and that I'm more naive and accepting than I should be. I've never gotten angry about a Hispanic getting a job I was going after - they were probably more suited to it. I have never felt that your nationality should give you a leg up on benefits either though.

I just want to say I didn't mean to offend anyone.

Also I'm not a racist, thank you very fuckin' much!

I'll just remember this the next time I try to post something to get other people's opinions, I'll just keep my damn mouth shut because it's obvious that some people don't care what other's think! I never meant for MY OWN OPINION to get in the way of the topic, so I guess I'll just shut the fuck up now before someone else thinks I'm offensive or a fuckin' racist!

Daz, and Leon, It's not you guys who made it sound like I'm racist ....

It was Adara's post. The whole "I have quite a bit to say about this. I AM of Mexican decent, and not only did those comments sound rather racist, they're also untrue. "

I was simply expressing something that happened at work and thought it would be nice to hear other people's opinion, if I were a racist, which i am NOT, I would have said something along the line of that they shouldn't be stealing jobs that we need ... but I didn't! Truth of the matter is I think the guys who were working on the pizza hut roof (in the extremely light drizzle not on a hot day thank you very much) are awesome workers! They're the same guys who built the burger king next door to my job in like three months. I even kudos'd them on their work and they smiled and thanked me!

I appreciate people posting back on this but for Adara to basically call me a racist when I'm not, just hurts.

Guest Adara
Daz, and Leon, It's not you guys who made it sound like I'm racist ....

It was Adara's post. The whole "I have quite a bit to say about this. I AM of Mexican decent, and not only did those comments sound rather racist, they're also untrue. "

I was simply expressing something that happened at work and thought it would be nice to hear other people's opinion, if I were a racist, which i am NOT, I would have said something along the line of that they shouldn't be stealing jobs that we need ... but I didn't! Truth of the matter is I think the guys who were working on the pizza hut roof (in the extremely light drizzle not on a hot day thank you very much) are awesome workers! They're the same guys who built the burger king next door to my job in like three months. I even kudos'd them on their work and they smiled and thanked me!

I appreciate people posting back on this but for Adara to basically call me a racist when I'm not, just hurts.

I am so sorry I wasn't clear about all that DC! The comment I made was about how racist those people's comments were, not your observation! smile.gif

I so sincerely apologize if I hurt you by my lack of clarity. I know that a person such as you could never be in any way prejudiced against others. You're a great member of this site, and you treat everyone with respect!

I only meant the the comments of those two men were completely untrue and full of prejudices.

Sorry to anyone else I may have offended too! It was definitely not what I wished to do. smile.gif

Guest Agaib

The way I see it, if supporting and fighting in the wars that the United States partakes in is a prerequisite for becoming a citizen then I'd like Mine revoked. The US isn't so great that I'm going to condone unnecessary killing.

Guest Alien Pirate Pixagi

That there is the part that pisses me off.

As made evident by the way our country is currently split down the middle by this war (and a few past wars), one does NOT have to support the president's decisions to wage war or what not to be considered a patriot! By saying that all illegal immigrants need do is support our idiot leader in killing a bunch of people to become citizens, then is that also saying to the people that DON'T agree with the president to get the fuck out?

If not, then what about the immigrants who DON'T agree with the war but still want citizenship? If the way to do it is to join the military, then does that mean you're left out in the cold if you don't want to? Or is it "Join the military whether you believe in the war or not."? There goes a great message right there! Show your patriotism by doing something COMPLETELY unpatriotic! RIGHT!

• 8 months later...

Wow. That was the most... wow. Just fucking wow. I can't even categorize my thoughts now because that was just so made of fucking fail and Stormfront (and leave it to them to be so fucking inbred that the retardism myth becomes true).

But since when is Mexican synonymous with illegal immigrant? Since when was Mexico synonymous with every other Hispanic nation?

Edited by bitBlackmage

This is coming from someone who lived in a town full of illegal immigrants, and it will sound racist.

AHEM.

Back in The Dalles, growing up I had no idea what everyone was talking about. During Highschool, I started to realize it.

Every single summer, illegal Mexicans would come to town, do the work that no one else wanted (For example: Picking cherries.) with ten times as many people, and then go back to Mexico with a few thousand dollars.

By... Oh, I think my Junior year of highschool, they weren't minorities, they were THE majority of the town. Most of them were men who married women from town to gain citizenship.

Anyways, um... Most of them don't gain citizenship through working, they would need a work visa to come here in the first place, then they work for a certain time ( I think it's a few months) they can gain citizenship legally.

The way that most the ones I know of used, was marrying into it. They would find a desperate woman in her fourties, marry her, gain citizenship, then divorce them. Or they would just find someone willing to marry them on paper, just so they could live here.

But since when is Mexican synonymous with illegal immigrant? Since when was Mexico synonymous with every other Hispanic nation?

Because as far as anyone can tell, the majority of them are Mexican. (Sadly, they don't stand around to be counted. If they did, we probably wouldn't have an illegal immigrant problem. :P) And if they aren't, it is still easier for them to cross the Mexican border than it is to come in from any other point. The Mexican government, from what I've managed to glean, has no real interest in actually taking care of its people, especially not when it is so easy to encourage everyone to emigrate to the great northern nation.

The problem with this is that it drains resources that aren't being replaced. Paying an illegal immigrant is best done in cash, for a variety of reasons. That cash is then not taxed, and is quite often sent back home to support a family in the mother country or to pay for them to come here. That takes that money out of the economy here, save for perhaps a small living pittance. If an illegal uses a social support service (such as the emergancy room at the hospital) they are likely without insurance, and the end result is that the hospital never gets paid. The end result is that the hospital has to close. That happened locally. The immigrant population was churing out too many anchor babies, both for welfare and citizenshsip purposes, and the local hospital wasn't getting paid. The maternity ward was the first to go, and the entire hospital folded a year or so later.

My suggestion? Announce internationally that as of January 1, 2009 anyone living inside the United States is a citizen automatically, so long as they register ahead of time with a local government body, at which point they will be issued a federally recognized ID card. Keep track of who files for this card. January 1, 2010 go through the welfare rolls, picking out everyone who is physically fit, and announce their drafting into the Coast Guard or Customs and Immigrations. Preferably the Latinos will be trained in the Coast Guard, while the Asians who are being smuggled in get trained for Customs and Immigration. Africans and Europeans get assigned at a 1:1 ratio. (Note: This is to prevent conflict of interest. The main way to cross for a Latino is to jump the Mexican border. The main method of entry for an Asian is being smuggled into a West Coast port. So have the Latinos patrol the coast, and the Asians patrol the border.) Starting 100 meters away from Mexico, turn the entire border area into one massive military testing area. Ignore the Mexican protests about the damage being done to the plants*. Put up helpful bilingual signs to warn away border crossers. Run massive Coast Guard drills off the west coast. Watch as illegal immigration (hopefully) drops.

Admittedly, it is somewhat draconian of a solution. It might be easier to just out and out annex Mexico. Not only would that remove the urge to cross, but would bring American minimum wage laws down south. That, and it would be much easier to seal the bottom of Mexico than the bottom of Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, and California. Or we could just trank border crossers, stick 'em on a helicopter and fly them down to Southern Mexico. Hire a bunch of out of work actors, and pretend they're in Southern Texas...

* When Bush announced plans to extend the chain link border fence another couple of hundred miles, the Mexican government protested on environmental grounds. Apparently it would interfere with airborne pollination. ;)

• 1 month later...
Guest Monsterking

you want to here my opinion? this is my opinion i say let them stay afterall havent they been working there butts off for the right to be an american so shoudnt we accept them? i think we should

Peace out brothers and sisters of adutfanfiction.net and may the furs be with you "WOOOOOO!!"