Click Here!

Welcome

Guest echtrae

Guest echtrae

FBI to restrict student freedoms

US university students will not be able to work late at the campus, travel abroad, show interest in their colleagues' work, have friends outside the United States, engage in independent research, or make extra money without the prior consent of the authorities, according to a set of guidelines given to administrators by the FBI.

Isn't this the old Soviet tactics of getting your neighbors to spy on you?

Guest Madapple

Well, out here in Wyoming all we have to worry about being stolen is the latest in animal husbandry techniques.

As our President said, "Freedom has its limits."

(I'm paraphrasing.)

I've been toying with the idea of emigration for a while now - now all I really want to do is ask "when can I come on over and what do I have to do". I enjoy my freedom and this article makes me want to postpone even longer my return to school for my degree.

I can just see it now, "I'm sorry ma'am, but you will have to quit your job, put your children into the poverty home down the street and sign over all of your rights if you want to go back to school. Oh and one more thing, just because you're 34 years old and have a good head on your shoulders doesn't mean that your life experiences mean a damn thing - you're ours now. *queue evil laugh*"

For several years, I had been considering doing my graduate studies in the U.S., but this has scared me.

The more I read about stuff like this, the safer I feel in Canada. My cousin (Canadian) is engaged to an American and he plans to sponsor her so that she can move here and finish her post-secondary education at a lower tuition. Still, it hasn't been easy for her because they're being a lot more stringent with the American immigration cases nowadays.

Guest Big Samurai

Paranoia. What's in your wallet? Silly FBI. I seem to recall that the last instance we had of sensitive information being stolen -- by China, in this case -- concerned people who had already graduated from college and had access to secrets in the field ... under government supervision ... including the FBI and the CIA, among others. The binoculars seem to be pointed the wrong way.

*Opens her arms* Come one, come all... but leave the stupid ones behind please... we don't stand for that here. laugh.gifwink.gif

Shhhhhhhh! That'll only encourage them! laugh.gif

Immigration rules suck.

We have an electrical engineer from Tanzania working for us and one of his visa restrictions was that he couldn't work without something or other but we had to pay him what his education was worth. (*Wha....a?) so...yeah. I'm sure American schools are okay, but meh, if you are a doctor somewhere else in the world, expect to drive taxi here. (frickin mumbo jumbo is what I thought it all added up to.)

Very bad immigration rules.

Guest Alien Pirate Pixagi
Immigration rules suck.

We have an electrical engineer from Tanzania working for us and one of his visa restrictions was that he couldn't work without something or other but we had to pay him what his education was worth. (*Wha....a?) so...yeah. I'm sure American schools are okay, but meh, if you are a doctor somewhere else in the world, expect to drive taxi here. (frickin mumbo jumbo is what I thought it all added up to.)

Don't you either have to be a professional or a refugee to be allowed to live there?

Anyone know about England's immigration rules? I'd rather go there, kthnx.

I think its probably a yes to that question.

The gov't is conducting a study as to how to make things better, but I dont' see any improvements in the near future. The study is drawn out over 3 years.

Anyone know about England's immigration rules? I'd rather go there, kthnx.

Apparently, they're worse than we Canadians are. Hubby got an offer to do his PhD over there, but one of the stipulations was that he couldn't take any family with him. Not me, or our son, ast least not for a year. Now, of course, he wasn't about to leave his new born son for a year, so we'll have to wait and see if something can be worked out. wacko.gif

SUCKS!

My neighbor (from long ago) had dual citizenship, so her and her husband and boys had no problem moving to Washington (State), so they could both be near their parents. (Her parents in Oakbank (I think) and his parents in Abbostford) He's a psychology prof and she's a bookkeeper. She lived in Indonesia for a while too, (her parents were missionaries) But I've never thought of her as American really. Full fledged California girl, yes. Man, I miss those Richard Scarry books I used to read to her kids. "BAd Pie-rats!

Guest Adara
Immigration rules suck.

I know what you mean. I've noticed that here in Ontario too. There have been several people, some doctors in their respective countries who have told us that very same thing.

In order to survive, they have to get whatever work they can. That sometimes means doctors driving cabs, or working as pharmacists. It's rather bad.

I'm officially calling shenanigans on this one folks. First, it was published through a Canadian source, second, trying to keep universities who are working on classified projects to keep those projects safe is nothing new, and third, I've not heard a thing about this from anywhere else. If the FBI was trying to enforce draconian laws on U.S. college campuses you can be sure that someone would be screaming bloody murder.

Instead only a few schools were listed, and while they are rather prominent ones, they are also ones that the FBI would probably already have a presence on, simply because they do work on sensitive projects for the government. In return, the government helps fund top of the line labs. This is hardly news of any sort.

I know what you mean. I've noticed that here in Ontario too. There have been several people, some doctors in their respective countries who have told us that very same thing.

In order to survive, they have to get whatever work they can. That sometimes means doctors driving cabs, or working as pharmacists. It's rather bad.

What makes you think that's limited to Canada?

It's happening here in the USA, Japan, and much of western Europe as well. It's also probably happening worldwide too, although I haven't seen figures from other countries.

Example: About two years ago I applied for a job at a McDonalds here in Texas. The manager showed me a huge stack of resumes (there had to have been at least 500 or so.) A number of them already had fast food experience, and some of them were even regional managers of fast food joints at one time or another. Underemployment has increased dramatically since September 11th, 2001 all over the world. People who graduated at the tops of their classes are finding that they have to stick with their Mcjobs because the number of supervisory jobs (that actually pay a decent wage) has plummeted. dry.gif

Guest Adara
What makes you think that's limited to Canada?

Quamp, I never said it was limited to Canada, I simply stated that I noticed the same circumstances in Ontario that StoryJunkie notices in BC.

I'm officially calling shenanigans on this one folks. First, it was published through a Canadian source, second, trying to keep universities who are working on classified projects to keep those projects safe is nothing new, and third, I've not heard a thing about this from anywhere else. If the FBI was trying to enforce draconian laws on U.S. college campuses you can be sure that someone would be screaming bloody murder.

Instead only a few schools were listed, and while they are rather prominent ones, they are also ones that the FBI would probably already have a presence on, simply because they do work on sensitive projects for the government. In return, the government helps fund top of the line labs. This is hardly news of any sort.

Keeheehee...Americans are the last to know.

We've got those strange coins that get into unsuspecting American tourist's pockets, you know! laugh.gifthat's how we know!

Keeheehee...Americans are the last to know.

We've got those strange coins that get into unsuspecting American tourist's pockets, you know!  that's how we know!

Hahaha, actually, that's a better example of how much Americans find out. That entire story blew up out of the initial reports of the coins, before any conclusion had been reached about them. Now its nothing more then an urban legend, sort of like the anti-air missile equipped kangaroos.

Seriously folks, why is it so surprising that the United States government is telling the people working on their secret projects to, well, make sure they keep it a secret? I mean, if they were doing this to every campus in the country, then yeah, I could see a reason to be upset. But if they were trying to do this to every department of every college in the U.S. people would be screaming bloody murder and waving pitchforks.

That is very true - I for one would be up in arms about the whole thing - but as this was the first I had heard of it I was flippant to say the least. It is sad to say that our freedoms are being taken for granted and taken away bit by bit by the people we put in office. But don't you think that's our fault for putting them there in the first place?

Where I work we deal with what is known as Protected Health Information or PHI. It has to be kept secret and we do. It's part of the job - and if you take that job you must be willing to keep your mouth shut. It's the same at University when you're working on a "secret project". No big deal... as long as you keep what you do under your hat.

• 2 weeks later...

Huckleberry Finn Chapter XL

...and here was Aunty pegging away at the questions, and me a-shaking all over and ready to sink down in my tracks I was that scared; and the place getting hotter and hotter, and the butter beginning to melt and run down my neck and behind my ears; and pretty soon, when one of them says, "I'M for going and getting in the cabin FIRST and right NOW, and catching them when they come," I most dropped; and a streak of butter come a-trickling down my forehead, and Aunt Sally she see it, and turns white as a sheet, and says:

"For the land's sake, what IS the matter with the child? He's got the brain-fever as shore as you're born, and they're oozing out!"

Never keep butter under you hat laugh.gif