Click Here!

Biggest tax cut in Florida history

Anyone else living in Florida (or not) somewhat following this?

They want to reduce property taxes by $15 billion I think they said, with the option of that doubling in January.

Anyone else just think that's not the best of ideas. It's nice to give people a break, but you need some way to put that money back in. And I don't think they've made any plans for that. Personally I work in a public library, so I'm dealing first hand with the consequences of this tax cut. The amount of things that are going in the library, they've even cut out buying books. All the social programs are on the verge of being cut: a tutoring program, an adult literacy program, a program to create and bring 'tool boxes' to preschools, a program to bring books to the homebound, a bookmobile to go into areas that don't have libraries. There's a hiring freeze, so if a library ends up short they're going to, and have already started to, transfer people forcefully to other libraries. And if you don't go, you get fired. And that's just the library.

Anyone else just think Republicans are a little too tax cut happy, but they don't think about what's going to happen afterwards?

Guest Big Samurai
They want to reduce property taxes by $15 billion I think they said, with the option of that doubling in January.

Why not increase the property tax and put the extra money into, oh, I don't know, fair and equal election with good, easy-to-grasp, hard-to-hack voting machines? The Florida state government still has a lot of 'splainin' to do, IMO.

cool.gif

• 2 months later...
I might sound rather creepy here, but a small tax RAISE might sound like a good idea right now...

Personally I'd agree with you looking at how things are going. A friend of my mom's works for CAA and Headstart and it seems like their having money issues as well. Closing down a lot of centers when they didn't have enough in the first place. We could definitely do with a bit more money, or at least what money we have being spent properly.