Click Here!

Turkey Time!

ApolloImperium

New Format for News  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the new format?

• Yes
    • No
    • Doesn't matter, I read the news anyway.
    • Wait, I should actually be reading the news?

Since last month’s new format (and delivery method) managed to triple the amount of views we’ve had for the news, for now I think I will be sticking with it. Please note there is a poll at the top of the news to see if you actually like the changes or not, I would appreciate it if you would let me know.

A quick summary of what is included in this month’s edition:

• A fellow Fan Fiction Site needs help! Donate to TheSilverSnitch!
  • We currently have a PayPal balance of $754.92 after November’s hosting costs have been paid.
  • The Calendar Art and Logo contest entries have ended. Due to lack of submissions only the Logo’s will be voted on.
  • New Moderator Account created for moderating activities.
  • Are you a member of our Forums?
  • A few minor Forum Upgrades
  • Important changes to the Archive Registration and Log-in. If you read nothing else, please read this post.
  • Search Engine Upgrade
  • Archive Moderation and Clean-up status

AFF has long been dedicated to ensuring Fan Fiction freedom. It was brought to our attention that a much loved archive TheSilverSnitch.Net has gone down. The Harry Potter community seems to be extremely saddened by the loss; however it is not due to the owner, but due to the lack of support. The poor owner has been deluged in email asking why the site isn’t up, where everything went etc. People have been yelling at her even!

Most Fan Fiction Archives need donations and TheSilverSnitch is no different. Believe me, I don’t run this for the money (I make none) and I don’t have the money to do it alone. AFF has been extremely lucky to have fans that have contributed in the past before we became able to cover our costs with advertising revenue. So before you get on your high horse about the site being down right now, remember that us Owner’s do this for you guys and often can’t afford to pay for it on our own. On behalf of TheSilverSnitch, please if you can spare any money, donate to TheSilverSnitch by sending money through PayPal to the following address: arwenelve13@yahoo.com

Speaking of support, our PayPal balance is currently at $754.92 after we paid November’s hosting costs. As mentioned above, donations are always appreciated! We have some things going on coding wise that will really appreciate your support, so keep reading!

One thing we do yearly to help support the site is have an Art contest to gather art for our CafePress store. Unfortunately, we only got a few entries into the Calendar contest, not enough to make a decent calendar. We are still in the process of determining what we will be doing for the Calendar this year, but the good news is that we did get entries into our Logo design contest. I had originally planned to have it go live Sunday, but due to my boyfriend being home on leave before deployment, I’m afraid I got a little caught up and fell behind on my timeline. I will have it posted by next weekend though and will make sure that it’s put up on our Facebook, Twitter and an email is sent out to our Forum Members.

Due to some people deciding that it would be a good idea to harass our moderators on their own Author Pages and stories, we have decided to move to a Moderator account for all moderating activities in the Archive. If you receive a review from AFF Moderator on a story, please note that it does come from one of the staff. All moderators will be signing their reviews, but as always, please remember that they are enforcing our ToS. If you have an issue with the ToS or review, please feel free to contact myself and DemonGoddess through any of our listed contact information or admin@adult-fanfiction.org.

Hey, since you are at our forums reading this, have you joined us over here yet? If not, I’d love to have you! There are games, the Shoutbox and all types of discussion to be had. Click the link to register, follow the instructions and we will get you approved as soon as possible!

For those of you who are members: There was a minor forum upgrade done in the last month. Along with it, we updated a few of the modules we use in the forum. In doing so, I’m pleased to report that the Arcade scoring is now working correctly. Have fun playing!!

Because this topic is so important, it has its own topic here! A basic overview is that as part of the upgrades to the site we in the midst of making, our registration is being made more secure and log in procedures are changing. Please make sure you read this topic before the changed are put in place in December – It’ll help save all of us a lot of headaches!! (Yes, it is important enough that I linked to it twice!)

Another coding change we have been trying to implement is upgrades to our search engine. However, the current script will not allow us to do so at this time. We have a pretty new core engine even, but all attempts to implement the search upgrades have caused some rather spectacular crashes in the test site we use, so you can understand our reluctance to put it in place quite yet! We are almost done with the re-write we are working on upgrading from php3 to php5; once that is complete, we will be able to get our new search engine up and running. As this is still a few months out, please be patient with us!

We are still working on moderating the archive and cleaning up from the crash, you can always review our progress at the following links: Monthly Moderation Update & Clean Up Update

Thank you so much for taking the time to review the news and of course if you have any questions, please let us know!

Happy writing,

Apollo & DemonGoddess061

Guest Clauclauclaudia

No a nitpick, but a typo that reverses your meaning: you meant the script will NOT allow search engine improvements, not 'now' allow, right? ;-) Cheers and thanks for the info and the site!

Oh gosh ... this poll is making it hard for me. Do you want people to answer honestly? Because my fun side is really inclined to go for the last option even though I do read the news.

"Wait, I should actually be reading the news?" *ROFL*

Come oooon, that's just irresistable to click on. Never mix a sense of humour with wanting serious poll results. The crazy people out there will click on it. *whistles innocently* Of course, I am not one of the crazy people. *whistles louder* Nope, definitely not. *does a little distracting dance with it* You believe me now, don't you? *little tap-dance routine* ;)

Anyway, good luck with that poll. :rofl:

(What do you mean with "there is only one nutter who clicked on it" and why are you staring in my direction?)

Edited by Nerys Dax

phoenixmalfoy 2011-11-11 id # 3001369763

How exactly do we donate to TSS?? I was reading on there before I came to this site, (I only found out about this site from an author who I was reading when it shut down..)...

On behalf of TheSilverSnitch, please if you can spare any money, donate to TheSilverSnitch by sending money through PayPal to the following address: arwenelve13@yahoo.com

Hi there phoenix,

I yanked the part of the news you inquired about. :)