Click Here!

Tony Winners

NightScribe

I was going to write a very long tirade about the Tonys last night, but, I'll try to keep this short. Am I the only one who was shell shocked by Spring Awakening winning best musical? After reading a synopsis and a few reviews, and seeing that abysmal number on last night's broadcast, is it safe to say the B'way musical is truly dead? Okay, I'll explain why this has my knickers in a twist.

The play is set in 1890s Germany. So why the f*ck is the score pop/rock? Why does the choreography resemble shit from a 21st century Britney Spears video (oh, I'm almost touching my breasts! How scintillating!) or the guys looking like they have extreme nervous tics or are in the throes of a seizure? The lyrics were... blink.gif Uh-huh, in your underwear, singing about your mother, an angel, and Jesus Christ. WTF am I supposed to get from that? The blurred line between religious/sexual ecstasy? It's been done better (the judge's Johanna from ST) And those shrill female voices had me checking to see if cerebral fluid was oozing from my ears. And whipping out microphones to sing your songs, like it's American Idol, yeah, that'll keep you in the moment. And I loved the Cabaret-esque bit with the guys on the chairs (so original; Bob Fosse anyone? ). How this ever got out of someone's basement and onto a legitimate stage is beyond me. The performance from a musical I enjoyed most was from the revival of Company. Yeah, he over-emoted a couple of times, but overall, it was very enjoyable, (it's no secret I'm a Sondheim fan and a rabid Sweeney fan). After the Spring Awakening cast did their thing, my mind was churning. Hmmm....19th century setting, (allegedly) serious topics, angsty....hey, how about trying to use music evocative of the period that also accentuates the moods of your characters? Kind of like, you know, Sondheim's Sweeney. Perhaps I'm being a bit cruel, but as far as I'm concerned, the creators and producers of SA are assclown.gif

What did I enjoy on the Tonys? Let's see. Angela Lansbury still going strong. The song from Company (and winning for best revival) and Frank Langella winning for Frost/Nixon. Oh, and keeping the show down to the alloted three hours.

Okay, I'm done. I'm going to go listen to Assassins now.

The problem with Broadway is that the majority of the people who are actually willing to shell out the big bucks are the tourists, and the majority of them do it simply to say that they've seen a Broadway play, not because they have any knowledge or interest in theater.

Meanwhile, the ones who really are interested in theater go to Carnegie Hall (Don't ask me why).

I'm Indian, so I'm stuck in a room where a Bollywood movie is playing way more often than is preferable to my ears and mind. If you can manage to recount a time where you were stuck in an apartment where they were holding a Bollywood movie marathon or were stuck on a road-trip listening to Bollywood soundtracks for 10 hours straight, you'll have even more sympathy from me on the whole "high-pitched screeching coming from an abhorrent female passing as singing" bit.

Long live Angela Lansbury! She is one of the few reminders we have from Broadway's hey-day.

You have my deepest sympathy on the screeching. I've managed to miss Bollywood movies and wasn't aware that that was a factor. Didn't ALW do a Bollywood type stage musical? *groan* Webber strikes again! I think you're onto something, Eve, about the tourists going just to say they've seen a show on B'way. Fortunately, I live in (okay, near) a big city, so the shows either do a pre-Broadway try-out or end up here within a year anyway, plus we have our own theatre, which a lot of well known actors started out in. I think the popularity of pop/rock driven stuff, jukebox musicals, or well known Disney stories draws the people in because the material is familiar and the music is, I guess, accessible. I also think they (producers) are trying to draw in younger crowds, so they figure pop or rock is the way to go.

I guess we can only hope that the saying is true, "everything old is new again" and someday (sooner rather than later) there will be a resurgence of well written/composed musicals.

Oh no... NO! You said the D-word!! Don't get me started on how Disney is distroying musical theatre.

Anyway, my opinion. For the most part, I agree with you, NightScribe. Spring Awakening seems disappointing. But, the thought that pop music has no place in musicals is a bit silly. After all, the musicals were pop music way back when. The problem is that it's turning into crappy Britney Spears videos, but live!! *Sigh* NightScribe, can I come over and listen to Assassins with you?

Oh no... NO! You said the D-word!! Don't get me started on how Disney is distroying musical theatre.

Anyway, my opinion. For the most part, I agree with you, NightScribe. Spring Awakening seems disappointing. But, the thought that pop music has no place in musicals is a bit silly. After all, the musicals were pop music way back when. The problem is that it's turning into crappy Britney Spears videos, but live!! *Sigh* NightScribe, can I come over and listen to Assassins with you?

I knew I should have included my thougths on pop in musicals, Daz. I don't have a problem with it, as long as it's something original and fits in with the story being told. I like Hair, for instance, and although I don't like the musical in general, I understand how it can work in Jesus Christ Superstar. (And it is duly noted noted not to mention the Mouse House by name again! laugh.gif )

And yes, you can come on over to listen to Assassins, (I really like the John Wilkes Booth segment).

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.