Click Here!

Not at all psyched

NightScribe

Well, the new HP movie and last novel come out in, what, roughly a month? And I find myself not at all excited over either. huh.gif I haven't pre-ordered the book, despite many trips to the bookstore and their enticements to reserve a copy. Yeah, I want to know how it all ends, but I'm not rabid about it. The film, well, I was disappointed with GoF and its cuts, (editing out that Snape was a Death Eater really bugged me) not to mention the fact that my ass fell asleep. Am I the only one who's burned out?

Well I am excited for the book, but not the movie. To me the movies leave out so many amazing details that it discourages me to go see it.

The book however has amazing details and lets you know everything that's going on. So I'm excited for my book to be on my doorstep!

(Pre-ordered and bought books 1-6 as a set so I will have all 7)

I've gotten to the point that I can seperate the movies and the books in my mind... I had to after POA (no Quidditch Cup? What do you mean there's no Quidditch Cup???) So I don't really worry about what's going to be cut out and all that anymore.

But, yeah, I'm pretty excited... not as much as I thought I'd be at this point, but it's building. By the time July rolls around, I'm sure I'll be very pumped... and very annoying to my hubby too! laugh.gif

It's funny - but at work the only thing people are talking about in reference to the last book coming out is if Snape will or won't help Harry. Most people I work with think it's a foregone conclusion that both Harry and Voldemort will bite it in the last battle. I personally have been trying my damnedest not to think about it. I want to read the book and find out on my own. I will be in line at Hasting's at midnight the night it comes out with my claim check in hand, and then I'll probably be locked in my room, laying on my bed and reading it straight through with my family asking me if I'm going to come up for air any time soon. (And my boyfriend will probably send out the police thinking my ex had done something stupid like bury me in the back 40 or something)

As far as the movie goes... well let's just say I'm hoping they don't cut out the twins and their "Give her hell Peeves!" exit. I would love to see how they do the swamp.

I squealed when I heard the new book was coming out. I squealed when I saw promo's for the movie.

BUT! Because of the utter lack of Bill Weasley, I don't think I'll head out to the theaters to see the movie, but I might pick up the book. God I hope Greyback is in the next book biggrin.gif

I have the book pre ordered. And yes, I do like the movies, even though they cut a lot of good stuff out. I seprerate the books from the movies though. I had a lot of bitches about the last movie too, but I still enjoyed watching it. I will be seeing the new movie too with my daughter. thumbsup.gif

Guest Madapple

Since I am a Harry Potter junkie I am excited about everything!

More, must. . .have. . .more.

But seriously, I think I could wait forever for the book, mostly because I don't want the series to end.

I like the movies, but I see them with no real expectation anymore. Things are cut because of time and medium constraints, we all know that. IMO, any fan who has made it to movie 5 without picking up a book deserves a few minutes of incomprehension. Mostly, however, I think anyone planning to see movie 5 is probably a die-hard, in for the long haul type of fan.

Now, if I could just figure out where canon ends and fanon begins. . .

Hmm...looks like I am the only one who's burned out. Eh, maybe the hype in early July will pull me back in. I will definitely read the book, only to find out about Snape; I think he's the only thing that keeps me interested. That, and to find out if Lucius busts out of Azkaban (oh, please, let him get out!) laugh.gif

Guest Alien Pirate Pixagi

I'm none to excited either. With the book, I was so disappointed with HBP that really, Deathly Hallows doesn't excite me. Maybe JKR will bring back the greatness that drew me in the first place, and maybe this book will be worse then the previous. It just seems to me JKR is trying to cram EVERYTHING she wanted to put in the first 5 books but couldn't fit into the last two. It will be interesting to see the significance of Harry's eye color (JKR said it's a big deal, so I'm curious) and to so how the final battle will play out, but I won't be waiting in line for it. Likely I'll wait a week, go to my local B&N and read the first chapter sitting on the floor of the store THEN decide if it's worth the cash.

With the movies, I'm so disappointed in how those were handled (and NOT handled) that they don't excite me anymore, either. It upsets me when the authors don't take more control of the movies based from their work, or when the people working on the project don't care much for the work it's based from. Eragon had the same problem, and it made me cry. I loved watching the latest Chronicles of Narnia movie because it shows a great love for the world and characters CSLewis created. They kept what they could and did as little alterations as possible.

With the Harry Potter movies, however, you can tell they just wanted to make money off the franchise and wanted to do it fast. They changed things that didn't need to be changed, cut out important points in the books and added useless crap that did nothing for the story. Honestly, each movie could have been extended by an hour to preserve the integrity of the work, but I suppose that would have cost too much.

Eragon had the same problem, and it made me cry.

Off topic...

You mean the book or the movie? 'cus both of 'em made me cry (that is until my brother pointed out that it's just Star Wars with dragons thrown in tongue.gif )

Ah who knows, maybe Sirius's other brother will finally show his ass instead of leaving notes in random places...

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.