Click Here!

Fanlib

Iggy_lovechild

Seems like Fanlib has been making a few waves so I decided to check it out. It's bright and shiny US Magazine layout is just exaborating my headach. It's so...cold and professional. Anyway, to the important shit:

Fanlib's TOS

It's sounds great until you get down here, and then things start getting...uh, strange.

Section 8. Your Rights to Material you Post

At FanLib, we expect you to post the content you create ("Your Content") on the website. You keep any and all rights to Your Content. FanLib does not own any rights to Your Content. However, when you post Your Content, you are giving FanLib the right to use, reproduce, distribute and publicly display Your Content on the website or through its services (such as email notification and RSS feeds) free of charge.

FanLib also wants to be able to promote Your Content on FanLib.com. As a result, FanLib may create summaries or descriptions of Your Content to promote and/or showcase Your Content. You authorize FanLib to make, reproduce, distribute, and display these summaries or descriptions on FanLib.com or through its services but not for any other purpose unrelated to FanLib.com. If you mark any of Your Content private, we will not promote and/or showcase Your Content.

Another part of FanLib's service allows other people to use Your Content on the FanLib Website. By putting Your Content on the FanLib website, you are granting each FanLib website user all the rights you have that they need to use, copy, distribute, or display Your Content on the FanLib website.

Hmmm... unsure.gif I don't really know how comfortable I am with having my work so...freely available for distribution. Especially since this is fanfiction and it ain't like I'm getting money of it....

Now I've heard that's exactly what Fanlib wants, to make money off fanfic writers. It's a complicated system from what I've been told, and I haven't dug around enough to get the full picture. Of course, like a lot of fanfiction sites, they are not responsible for anything you post. I mean, they are hard core with the whole "we-shalt-not-be-sued" business. Makes me nervous, to be honest.

Anyway, the fanfic browse sucks too. Every available fandom is listed and there are no seperate catagories or sub-cats either.

And sorry, I don't trust any fanfiction site that put little pitures beside the story summaries and in the FF7 section there's a story about Reno with Rufus's picture in the caption. dry.gif Stupidity is such a turn-off.

Check it out for yourself, maybe I'm just easily spooked: Fanlib

Friend of mine sent me a link with more info on Fanlib, the important shit that we as fanfic authors need to know.

Everything you Need to Know About Fanlib

Edited by Nanaea

Guest Agaib

I think some sexual submissives intentionally use the lowercase version of I to demonstrate which side of the spectrum they're on. Similar to how I capitalized "Me" and other personal pronouns. However, I doubt that the lowercase I is appropriate for the context...

I think some sexual submissives intentionally use the lowercase version of I to demonstrate which side of the spectrum they're on. Similar to how I capitalized "Me" and other personal pronouns. However, I doubt that the lowercase I is appropriate for the context...

I am aware of the submissive context, but like you said, I seriously doubt it was meant in that way. Just someone being lazy with their "shift" key.

No, I agree. This is the way of the publisher. you post it, they allow you to post it, ergo. If you had to go through RL publishing, this is what would happen, except....and here's the kicker....without an agent to stick up for you, you won't get any royalties or commisions or percentages. It's all part of the game. I thought this site also had that. All material posted belongs to the publisher, et al. It's pretty much a given. If you delete it and ask them to do so, (I'd have to look it up) I think they reliquish all copies to you as well, and have to not promote it or gain anything from it. That is why you can't publish the same work on different sites either. If you read the fine print, I'm sure its there. Infringement and all that.

*Later*

Hmm. Looks like the old TOS has been changed. I could a sworn....meh, oh, well. Publishers!

Yeah, shortly after I posted my original messege the TOS dissappeared. Guess they revised it. Tricky, tricky.

On the deletion of any stories on Fanlib, I'm not entirely clear on what happens to any copies that were distributed. All I know is that Fanlib can no longer use that content after it's been deleted.

Hmm....

Scarier still: In case ya didn't notice, they accept original fiction as well.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.