Click Here!

Is He Feminine?

I've been reading through some writing tutorials and guides over at Y!gal and I'm worried that my original character, Lauchlan, may have a personality that is much more feminine than I ever intended.

He's not supposed to be oozing masculinity from his pores or anything, but I want him to be male and not a female in a males body (I hate it when people do that and I don't want to turn into a hypocrite!) He was raised almost entirely by his mother so he didn't have a male influence on his childhood (father was a sailor, died when he was 3). Both he and his mother were servants to a noble family throughout his childhood and early teens, so he's supposed to be very soft spoken and submissive (not sexually, smartass) but I think that when I tried to give him these traits I ended up making him think and react like a woman would.

I would greatly appreciate anyone (preferably men) who would take a look over my story and tell me what you think of Lauchlan's behavior and how you think it could be changed or altered if necessary. If you have the time it would also be really helpful if you could tell me how you think a different male character (or you) would react to the situation that Lauchlan is in, it would make really good reference material and since I'm new to this I really need all the help I can get.

http://original.adul...hp?no=600104061

( It's M/M, there are mentions of m/m sex and one character is nude throughout the whole chapter, don't say I didn't warn you)

Edited by LockedBox

To be honest, you shouldn't worry about this too much. You're writing a character, not a gender stereotype.

Men don't have to be tough/aggressive/unemotional or any other stereotypical trait generally attributed to males.

Women don't have to be soft spoken/submissive/emotional or any other stereotypical trait generally attributed to females.

If your character makes sense in the context of the story, and it sounds like he does from your summary, that should be good enough. You don't have to subscribe to misogynistic ideas about how men and women should act.

Honest opinion... All stereotypes aside, most guys do tend to be more focused on problem fixing then women. Women do have more of a tendency (thank you hormones... XD;;) to try and get a consensus or other opinions at times. A man more raised by a woman in a position of a household servant would probably show a mix of these traits. I also agree with the other guy. If it makes sense in your story, don't worry 'bout it.

• 6 months later...