Click Here!

News? Yes, there is news!

ApolloImperium

It’s time to change things up a little bit! For the last year, the news has followed the same general format and I’ve gotten into the bad habit of just plugging in the new information and not really doing much else. So to mark a year of me being back, I’m going to be testing out some different ways of delivering the news over the next few months. Please hang in with me and provide feedback on what you like or don’t like!

Don’t have time to read the full news?

News at a glance:

• Dragon*Con was a decent success with this being the first year I’ve gone on behalf of the site.
  • We currently have a PayPal balance of $676.94 after Oct’s hosting costs have been paid.
  • The art contest for the 2012 Calendar & 10 Year Banner is up and running
  • Reviewers Association is still looking for members, click here!
  • Clean up from the last major crash is still ongoing, see link for more details
  • Remember, if you have more than one archive account, this is against TOS. Please let us know if you have one due to past technical issues.
  • Mod Staff as always have been busy, check out this link to see how
  • There will be a minor outage for 30 to 45 minutes Tuesday 10/4 between 6 and 8am EDT.

Have a little bit more time? Did that just whet your appetite? Well then read on!

For those of you that weren’t aware, I made my annual pilgrimage to the All Mighty Dragon*Con, however this year it wasn’t quite the same. Normally, I hang out in the Trek Track; then I’ll sprinkle some writing track and a few other panels here and there. This year, I made a point of hitting up more of the writers track and specifically some of the self-publishing panels. I was able to catch up with a few of the authors that use our site and make contact with several more that might be interested in our services. About one month out, we’ve had two inquiries from Dragon*Con and one sign up. Hopefully more will come, but in the end if I even manage to add one advertiser, that’s $20 a month more in revenue!

Speaking about money, we have a surplus! Over the last year, generous donations and a growing advertising section have allowed us to sock away money. Some of it has started to go towards renovations of the sites code and new features, but there is so much more that I want to do! Even though we have some savings, donations are always appreciated. Please feel free to check out our donation page.

Upgrades? How about we start with a new logo for 2012? Haven’t you heard? It’s AFF’s 10 year anniversary! If you know anything about the site, it was original started as a Geocities site dedicated to the Buffy and Angel fandoms, the favorite fandoms of our founder, Ayla, back in September of 2001. When FanFiction.Net began purging all adult content, Ayla created AdultFanFiction.Net and officially purchased the domain Sept 13, 2002. As a result, we are celebrating our 10 Year Anniversary throughout all of 2012 as well as our annual Calendar contest!

That being said, as you may know, I don’t draw, hell, I barely write (My Author’s page shows that…) most of the time. So me coming up with a new logo is so farfetched that it belongs in its own fan fiction, hehe! Once again I call on our artists, to submit their work. The calendar contest can be found here, while the logo contest is here.

Now, that gets our Artists involved… How’s about our Readers? I know there are a lot of you out there. Did you know that reviews are the life blood for our Authors? But, did you know that for some reason not many people review and some Authors have none at all? Well, good news is a Reviewers Association was started to address some of the inadequacies. The only thing they ask is that you find a story in an area that you read that has no reviews and leave one. Of course, they do have other rules involved, but you can find those here.

As you read, depending on where, if it’s an older story you may notice code jibberish, chapters that don’t show an author and various other issues. We had a crash a few years back and we are still in the long drawn out process of cleaning up the mess the previous tech team left afterwards. DG and the clean-up team are working diligently to get it fixed and you can see the progress here.

Just as a general reminder, we know that the previous mod team didn’t always do what they should have and that some people couldn’t access old accounts, so created a new account. If you are one of these people and you have multiple accounts, please let us know by emailing DemonGoddess061. You can find her contact information in her profile. In fact, if you have multiple accounts period and they have not been approved by the Admin team, please let us know as well. We do on occasion find duplicate accounts, and when we do DemonGoddess merges the accounts together and generates an email that sends the users their login information. If you get one of these, and you didn’t generate it, then DemonGoddess did. If you are in anyway concerned that she didn’t, please feel free to contact us.

Speaking of the mod team, did you know that our moderators are working tirelessly behind the scenes to ensure that nasties like plagues and minors aren’t hanging around? Not to mention the weekly sweeps to ensure ToS compliance – Man, are they busy! Wanna see some of what they have found? Take a look at the topic here!

Minor side note since it won’t be a huge outage, the partitions on the hard drive weren’t set up to work with a growing database, so Nexcess will be setting up a new hard drive with the appropriate partitions and sync it with the current hard drive. This means the site will be down for about 30-45 minutes Tuesday, 10/4 between 6am and 8am.

Happy reading & writing!

Apollo & DemonGoddess

I'm sorry if this isn't the right area, but this is where your link took me when I clicked on it. Your newsletter said something about a major crash, but this thread isn't saying anything about it. Please, what crash, and what stories were affected? I ask because I have a story (WIP) posted on the AFF HP section, and I want to know if it was affected.

Thank you!

If I'm remembering right, the crashes were 2004 (the worst one), 2005, and 2006. The worst one had the site virtually useless for months, while data was being split in to different subdomains and what are, in effect, separate db's for the same program.

Guest Sabriel20

I wasn't sure where you wanted us to nodify you of having multiple user names, but anyway I have one that I never used. I think it's under Sabriel21, but I'll check to make sure.

• 2 weeks later...

I clicked the link for the news article on Google listing you as an attack site, and for some reason I was brought here. I think you need to fix your links? Or am I just tripping?

Guest Golden Kitsune

AFF needs a search engine to help find fics that we havent seen around for awhile and really wanna keep track of. maybe even have a favorites marker for the fic or its author. like FF.net. i like this site more and i wanna see it better. im looking for a fic that doesnt have a sub-category. and no one can find it. so when we do find it have it tell us why we cant read it anymore. why it was taken off and such. im sure other people have thought of this as well and it'll make it easier for people to find fics. therefore, you wont need the 'seaching for fics' thread anymore.

~Golden Kitsune~

You'll still need the searching for fics areas, as those are referred back to when people just want to find something new to read, or are looking for something specific and can't remember things like author names and titles, yet remember story details.

As to the search engine, there is one in the archive. You just need to follow the instructions.

Also, the archive is a rickety old thing that has been strung together multiple ways to Sunday... When we remove a story it's for good reason and if an author does, again they have their own reasons. We honestly can't afford the space to put a place holder in saying "This person was a minor." "This person was a plagiarist." etc etc.