Click Here!

How long did you go before you finished . . .?

Solaris

Your story or are you still working on it?

I have several stories that are in the works that have yet to be finished.

I recently finished a story that I started in 2003 about four years ago. I knew I could finish it but I just couldn't get the words down but then the dam broke and I managed to finish the last two chapters in two nights and posted them on my webpage. It is Harry Potter and The Bungling Teacher. A Gilderoy Lockhart story. All PG13 stuff, no sex or anything beyond drugging Lockhart with chocolate made out of laxitives. Yeah, I made him have the runs to end all runs.

But most of my other stories are about four to five years and still not finished, mainly because Writers' Block has hit those stories, even my current story When the full moon hits.

So what is your longest story that you are still working on?

Beth

Well, I just finished up a 10 chapter story that I started a little over a year ago. I'm currently working on another story (not sure how long it's going to be) that I started about a year ago as well (when I was stuck on the other story). No idea how long it will be before I finish that one, but I'm hoping it will be before the end of this year. I also have a couple one-shots that took me a several weeks to finish.

My WIP I started six months ago, but haven't touched it for five weeks. I should get back to it; I'm thinking it would probably be best to have it completed by the end of the year.

If we're talking original story, well, there's an unfinished one I started 16 yrs ago.... (do we have a smilie for "pathetic loser?") laugh.gif

Guest Alien Pirate Pixagi

I have several unfinished one shots (though I did just finish a series that I didn't know was gonna be a series until I started working on the second one O_o) and a chaptered crossover that is to suffer the horrible fate of never being finished due to it being a collab and the other author and I had a bit of a falling out.. hehehe...

I don't even try to start chaptered fics anymore, because I have a hard time keeping the steam going for them. I have never once finished a chaptered story.

Guest Madapple

Everything I've ever attempted to write is unfinished, including my dissertation! whistle.gif

but seriously, I've lately been eyeing a fic I haven't touched in 14 months.

Damn muse, went on vacation and refused to return.

I need a new muse.

Mad, if you happen to find out where your muse is, let me know. I think mine followed along. We’ll have to organize a search and rescue mission. ph34r.gif

I have three finished chapter fics, one one-shot, and a WIP...that's been a WIP and un-updated since August, I think. blush.gif Just ask Mad, my loyal although out-of-work beta. I actually finished the first three chapter fics in about a month each, which is odd because they vary greatly in length at between 19,000 and 70,000 words.

Fic #5 is taking forever, to which Mad can attest, but my brain keeps changing things on me. I scrapped nearly two entire chapters when I decided to do away with a thread of the plot. After that, I've just kind of stared at it. I know where I want it to go, but it thinks it knows where it wants to go, and until we can agree, it'll remain unfinished and I'll keep wondering why I haven't finished it yet.

Well, I just finished writing my dissertation...last night about 1:45am, and turned it in today, my b-day.

As for fan fic, I started my first back in 2001. I have six stories in that uni, only two are complete. With HP, I have three incomplete, the first posted in 02-05, and two in another uni, one of which started in 04. I've gone a year without posting in several of these stories, but keep moving forward!

Avanell

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

erm.... if i worked on only one at a time, i'd likely finish them in a timely manner.

my first fan fic was written and finshed within a time span of about three months. i started my second while working on my first. i started the third while on the second. i've never had only one story going, so times are somewhat difficult. the ones i've got going now i've been working on for more than a couple years.

i have an original i'm working on, plus several one (and one plus one) shots that i've posted. at present, i'm working on five. one challenge piece that i hope won't take forever... it keeps growing on me when i'm not looking... and four multi-chaptered stories.

and soooooooo many more ideas. sheesh. i need to write.

• 1 month later...
If we're talking original story, well, there's an unfinished one I started 16 yrs ago.... (do we have a smilie for "pathetic loser?") laugh.gif

How about one that was started back in 1987 and was recently finished and all prepped for publishing in 2003?

Beth

• 1 month later...

How can you start a story and not update for months? Better question- why on earth would it take someone years to write a fanfic?

I fall in love with what I'm writing, and never want to stop until I'm done. I force myself to take a break so that I can feed the kids, and give them a bath so they don't look like welfare recipients.

I've written 28 stories, two of which are very very long, in under two years.

I just don't understand... blink.gif

How can you start a story and not update for months? Better question- why on earth would it take someone years to write a fanfic?

I fall in love with what I'm writing, and never want to stop until I'm done. I force myself to take a break so that I can feed the kids, and give them a bath so they don't look like welfare recipients.

I've written 28 stories, two of which are very very long, in under two years.

I just don't understand... blink.gif

Here's the thing - sometimes real life comes up and bites you on the ass and you just have to drop something. I know that sometimes my writing suffers for it.

That's the truth. Sometimes life gets in the way of finishing your personal projects.

My first rush of fan fic was about seven years ago and my last project from that batch will likely never be finished. It was a Gargoyles series set in the past for which I'd done quite a bit of research and I had a detailed timeline worked out -- then my hardrive went kaput and I lost all my research, story notes, and works in progress. jawdrop.gif I have copies of all my finished stuff because it was posted to an archive (not AFF). But I just don't have the heart to try to recreate all the data that was lost.

Aside from misfortunes like that, I have a full time job. I also have a disabled husband, two children, one of which has a chronic medical condition, the other is in diapers. We both have aging parents. Sometimes things like my fan fics have to be put on the back burner.

And sometimes you start a piece and lose enthusiasm for it after a while. Especially if you are forced to take a break from writing. I have a problem that when I get about 3/4 through a long piece, I suddenly become unmotivated. I think it's because once I get to the point where I see how it ends, I just don't feel as much of an urge to write it down for others. After that it's a matter of self discipline to get the thing finished.

Then again, sometimes I start a piece and partway through decide that it probably only interests me and isn't worthy of being posted. So there's no reason to finish it anyway. At least to me.

• 2 weeks later...

I have one I started in 2002 which I'm vaguely toying with the idea of finishing.

And to add to the "why wouldn't you finish" answers - it's not only that real life sometimes takes precedence, it's that sometimes you get completely bored with the idea of fanfiction.

once I get to the point where I see how it ends, I just don't feel as much of an urge to write it down for others

This is *so* true. I sit here telling myself to just finish the thing, but why would I bother? I know how it ends now biggrin.gif

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.