Click Here!

Plead Bargains

Guest Alien Pirate Pixagi

Guest Alien Pirate Pixagi

It is not uncommon for defendants to enter plead bargains as to lessen their sentences. In this way, whether they're guilty or not, they will be charged with whatever crimes they face. Is this obstruction of justice? Do plea bargains do more harm to the justice system, or does it aid in achieving justice?

Discuss.

Guest Agaib

Hmm, I think that responsibly applied plea bargains can be a tool for justice. Sometimes the prosecution doesn't have a solid case that can convict someone, no matter how guilty they obviously are, so its important to be able to reach some agreement rather than let nothing happen at all to the accused.

• 4 weeks later...

Plea bargains are definitely legal, and in many cases they are the best way to go.

There are some people who are coerced into pleading guilty when they are not, but the majority who plead out did something wrong. They may not be sent to prison for the exact crime they committed, but at least they are there for something. At the same time, plea bargains allow the court system to flow. If we had to try every person who committed a crime and plead not guilty, no one would ever be convicted. The system is too overrun for that to be allowed.

Guest Adara

I get what you're saying Pix. I mean, to give someone a break simply because they ratted someone else out is not really "Justice" per say.

I'm somewhat split on the subject. I understand the necessity, and well, the rather practical use for them, but I find it unethical. But, if the person who'll end up being incriminated did something far worse, well, I can see how that would be the bigger fish to fry.

• 8 months later...

Whew... this is a touchy one for me... I worked in the District Attorney's office... and I was working on a case (I won't say where or who the defendant was) but I did all the work for this case for the attorney handling it. It was a Doctor who molested 14 young boys... and the evidence was overwhelming. I worked on this case sick and practically on my death bed (I had Valley Fever a bad case of flu that was killing people) but regardless while I was out sick after having gone in one day to finish the last of trial preparations I saw on the news that they had reached a plea agreement the day after I finished the last of the trial preparations, the day before the trial. The agreement was 7 years, his ability to practice medicine revoked, etc. etc. I was livid. He will be out in 3-5 years on good behavior.

I feel like plea agreements do more harm than good and it's like a slap in the face for the victims. He should have gotten 14 years one for every kid... but that wasn't the case and I felt cheated. I know at times there can be mitigating circumstances where a person deserves a plea agreement, but there are times where the system of pleaing is used to the extremes and the horror of those involved and this was one of those times. It makes me shudder to think how many others have gone through the system and gotten slaps on the wrists like this, and I'm not saying it is just the victims who hurt. There are times where even the defense side of things misuse the plea agreement. For example many Public Defenders have horrible case loads and are overworked just as the system itself is and they make their defendants strike a plea agreement in order to push them through the system faster and to lessen a case load. It's wrong on both sides of the fields because not only is the defendant not getting a chance to prove himself innocent, but it's as if his desire for such is overlooked in favor of lightening the system and the workers caseloads. It's a shame, and a big problem one I don't see changing any time soon.